Squat Issues: Wrist Alignment/Shoulder Flexibility

I’m having problems keeping my left wrist strait while squatting. I’m certain it’s due to shoulder flexibility, which is hindered by simi-frequent (once every 1-2 years) left shoulder dislocation. It takes trauma to dislocate my left shoulder. It normally occurs during a sport. I’ve also discovered, though a very very shitty day at the gym, that I can’t pass the bar from front to back.

My bar placement is low back. (I haven’t been performing low bar placement squats for very long) I know this makes it more difficult for my shoulder to get into position. I feel as if this issue is putting very unnecessary stress on my wrist, being that it is bent throughout the squat.

I was curious if anyone else had a similar problem w/ shoulder flexibility, and how they fixed it. Also, are there any exercises/stretches that I could preform to aid in my shoulder flexibility?

Thanks,
James Keeton

Try putting your pinkie under the bar instead of on top of it. It changes your wrist angle slightly and takes a lot of straight off your shoulders.

and wear wrist wraps

I’ll have to give these a shot. Any ideas on increasing my shoulder flexability?

Thanks,
James

Another thing to try is to not wrap your thumb around the bar either. Placing it on top lets you slide your hand a little up but you are still gripping it with your fingers. That should take some stress off your wrist and shoulders too.

You could shoulder dislocates with a stick or band but with you having real dislocation predisposition I wouldn’t recommend it.

[quote]blake b wrote:
Another thing to try is to not wrap your thumb around the bar either. Placing it on top lets you slide your hand a little up but you are still gripping it with your fingers. That should take some stress off your wrist and shoulders too.

You could shoulder dislocates with a stick or band but with you having real dislocation predisposition I wouldn’t recommend it. [/quote]

I currently use the “thumb in top of bar” grip. It has proven helpfull. I Don’t think I’m capable of doing shoulder dislocations. Lol, that would be the end of me. I’m thinking I will evenualy gain shoulder flexability by doing the squats themselves. Either that or autheitis in my left wrist…

Try to keep the wrist as striaght as possible, when wrists become excessively bent on squats then there is the potential for strains.

[quote]aaron_lohan wrote:
Try to keep the wrist as straight as possible, when wrists become excessively bent on squats then there is the potential for strains.[/quote]

There lies the problem. I can’t keep my left wrist strait due to the lack of left shoulder flexibility I have. Any Ideas on assistance exercises that I could use to remedy this?

[quote]James Keeton wrote:

[quote]aaron_lohan wrote:
Try to keep the wrist as straight as possible, when wrists become excessively bent on squats then there is the potential for strains.[/quote]

There lies the problem. I can’t keep my left wrist strait due to the lack of left shoulder flexibility I have. Any Ideas on assistance exercises that I could use to remedy this? [/quote]

SEE ABOVE: fucking wrist wraps!

You just need better shoulder mobility: internal rotations, external rotations, pec stretching, shoulder dislocations, shoulder traction, etc. Your delts or traps should be carrying the weight not your wrists. If you’re carrying the weight in your wrists, then you’re going to have bigger issues down the road.

[quote]Wild_Iron_Gym wrote:
You just need better shoulder mobility: internal rotations, external rotations, pec stretching, shoulder dislocations, shoulder traction, etc. Your delts or traps should be carrying the weight not your wrists. If you’re carrying the weight in your wrists, then you’re going to have bigger issues down the road. [/quote]

YES! Finger placement and wrist wraps are going to do you more harm than good. Fix the problem. Shoulder tractioning with bands is probably your best bet. Or, no offense, maybe weak shoulders are the problem. Semi-frequent shoulder dislocations shouldn’t be something to just deal with when it happens, it should be something you are actively trying to prevent.

Do you do any shoulder strengthening exercises? Or not because its uncomfortable? No problem has ever been solved by not working the shit out of it.

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:

[quote]Wild_Iron_Gym wrote:
You just need better shoulder mobility: internal rotations, external rotations, pec stretching, shoulder dislocations, shoulder traction, etc. Your delts or traps should be carrying the weight not your wrists. If you’re carrying the weight in your wrists, then you’re going to have bigger issues down the road. [/quote]

YES! Finger placement and wrist wraps are going to do you more harm than good. Fix the problem. Shoulder tractioning with bands is probably your best bet. Or, no offense, maybe weak shoulders are the problem. Semi-frequent shoulder dislocations shouldn’t be something to just deal with when it happens, it should be something you are actively trying to prevent.

Do you do any shoulder strengthening exercises? Or not because its uncomfortable? No problem has ever been solved by not working the shit out of it.[/quote]

I completely agree. I need to target my shoulder and build flexibility.

I do do military and OH press with no pain or discomfort. Nothing impressive though (135x4 seated)

When it does come out it’s due to wrong angle, slight relaxation of the surrounding muscles, and applied force. (i.e. twisting and falling on it) This doesn’t happen often. Since I’ve been weight training (about 3 years) it’s been more stable. However, recently I had an “incident” and it was dislocated, which is probably responsible for my current flexibility issues.

The first time I dislocated it the force that I hit the ground (hard) actually caused the bone to develop a “flat spot.” <<-- Doctors quote (This allows it to come out easier.) Certain angles are just a no go.