Squat Injury

When squatting last week, I hurt my lower back, on the left side. I wasn’t completely focused, because somebody had been talking to me, and I paid for it. I thought it had healed later in the week, and I tried to deadlift, but it had not, and it was re-aggravated.

My question is this: I assume it could be a number of things, but if it’s not something that’s really killing me is it that bad of an idea to keep training anyway? I did squats yesterday, and it was only a little bit sore afterwards.

I guess my question is: with injuries such as this, as long as the pain is bearable or goes away, is continuing to train ok?

Let it heal.

The world isn’t going to stop spinning if you cut back on spine-loading lifts for a few weeks and let your back heal up properly.

Next time, don’t talk (?!!) while squatting.

Take a week off and see how it feels. If you haven’t cycled off in a while, you’ll probably come back stronger.

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
Let it heal.

The world isn’t going to stop spinning if you cut back on spine-loading lifts for a few weeks and let your back heal up properly.

Next time, don’t talk (?!!) while squatting.[/quote]

Yes but couldn’t it alter the orbit slightly? And for the record, I wasn’t talking while squatting, I was talking during my rest period…which was still stupid, but not as stupid as trying to talk AND lift at the same time.

[quote]animalmj wrote:
Take a week off and see how it feels. If you haven’t cycled off in a while, you’ll probably come back stronger.[/quote]

Whenever I take time off I come back and feel horrible. It always takes me at least one week just to get into the swing of things, and my lifts are never improved.

I know that it is common for people to take time off, and it seems like it works for some, but it never has for me, and I did just miss an entire week because of a busted lip, so…

try back and neck bridges. Whenever I tweak my back I always do these and they seem to really help.

You need to let this heal. Keep the pressure off of it or you will pay. In the mean time use single leg movements for compenstation for your legs if it’s not hurting you to much.

Read this article parts 1 and 2:
http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-032-training

Use ice and ibuprophen to assist with healing.
Never gamble with a back, losing the bet is a very high price.

[quote]jit07 wrote:
try back and neck bridges. Whenever I tweak my back I always do these and they seem to really help.[/quote]

What are these?

If you need to do something substitute split squats. Dont do any deadlifts or regular squats. Your back will be ok, but it will need awhile to heal, even minor strains need quite awhile to come back around 100 percent.

[quote]eeu743 wrote:
jit07 wrote:
try back and neck bridges. Whenever I tweak my back I always do these and they seem to really help.

What are these?[/quote]

If you use the search bar you will find something. Or go to google and click on images and type in neck, back bridges and wrestling. Wrestlers use these to improve neck and back strength.

[quote]eeu743 wrote:
Yes but couldn’t it alter the orbit slightly? And for the record, I wasn’t talking while squatting, I was talking during my rest period…which was still stupid, but not as stupid as trying to talk AND lift at the same time.[/quote]

Well good going, you caused global warming!

Thanks for nothing!

/jking

This is exactly what happened to me last week!
I tweaked my back and continued squatting. Then it hurt more.

Now it’s been several days since I stopped squatting and it’s much better. If pain doesn’t subside almost completely soon, I’ll go see a doctor. Heck, I might just go anyway, I’m 37 and I guess I don’t recover like I used to.
I was horrified for a while, thinking I got a hernia. Now it doesn’t seem like that’s what’s happened, but I’ll ask the doctor just to make sure.

I’m planning to take a very long time off from any exercise that loads up the spine. One leg squats, leg extensions and stuff like that will have to suffice for the time being. One month at the very least, most likely more. Then I’ll start with very light good mornings and stuff like that.

It sucks, but that’s it.

[quote]eeu743 wrote:
And for the record, I wasn’t talking while squatting, I was talking during my rest period…which was still stupid, but not as stupid as trying to talk AND lift at the same time.[/quote]

Really? You’re not supposed to talk in rest periods? When do you talk then.

I’m a regular chatterbox in between sets.

[quote]Sxio wrote:
eeu743 wrote:
And for the record, I wasn’t talking while squatting, I was talking during my rest period…which was still stupid, but not as stupid as trying to talk AND lift at the same time.

Really? You’re not supposed to talk in rest periods? When do you talk then.

I’m a regular chatterbox in between sets. [/quote]

I try not to talk in the gym, more than a few necessary words. When I squat heavy, which I was, I need the rest period to catch my breath and get ready for the next set.

[quote]florin wrote:
This is exactly what happened to me last week!
I tweaked my back and continued squatting. Then it hurt more.

Now it’s been several days since I stopped squatting and it’s much better. If pain doesn’t subside almost completely soon, I’ll go see a doctor. Heck, I might just go anyway, I’m 37 and I guess I don’t recover like I used to.
I was horrified for a while, thinking I got a hernia. Now it doesn’t seem like that’s what’s happened, but I’ll ask the doctor just to make sure.

I’m planning to take a very long time off from any exercise that loads up the spine. One leg squats, leg extensions and stuff like that will have to suffice for the time being. One month at the very least, most likely more. Then I’ll start with very light good mornings and stuff like that.

It sucks, but that’s it.[/quote]

See, the problem for me is, it feels healed right now. It felt healed a few days after I hurt it, but then I deadlifted and it started hurting immediately. So I don’t really know when it will be better, and I don’t really like the idea of taking months off just to be sure.