T Nation

Squat Injuries

I dont know whats happened to my lower body-but it feels completely messed up.

I think this might be the cause of this-
1-2 months ago I noticed that whenever I squatted my knees caved in during the ascent.
I could lift the wt-but with my knees all in.
I didnt care n just went ahead n sqtted.

Then I`m not sure when this thing started, but now whenever I squat

• I have this acute pain or burn or something in my R knee. it hurts.
    *And my R glute muscles feels like- might sound strange-its like my bone where the glutes are attached is dislocated.
    It just doesnt feel a part of my body in the down position.
    *And this happens irrespective of whether I`m doing back or front sqts.
    *even Body wt sqts hurt my R knee.

R knee: The pain is on the inside part of the knee.
By inside I man the Lside part of the R knee.
Another thing:I noticed this when I was expermenting with various sqt stances. When I`m in the low position theres some kind of a blood vessel that comes up in the knee area.
No such thing in the L knee.

Some really strange stuff about squatting:
*Leg prses dont hurt at all.
*Pistols sqts dont hurt me.
I`m not strong enuff for pistols- hence I do it with a little cheat.I pull myself up by holding onto some object
*1 leg squats dont hurt me.
(Squat with one leg and the other is resting back on a small elevation)
Few more details: I think I suffer from a PELVIC TWIST.
*My L oblique muscles r very weak compared to R obliques.

Right now I`m not hitting my legs at all.
Dont tell me to see a Dr. cause my family doc is an idiot.
She hates wts and all sports in general.
when my mom asked her advice to help her lose wt-she was told to do lots of ab work and follow a near starvation diet.
So u see shes not at all in this.
3 of my extended family membes who do alternative medicine think along the same lines.

Can u give me a good solution?
Also if I HAVE to see a Dr.- who can help me most:
a chiripracter? Sports psychologist? …

Sports psychologist? I’m assuming you mean a Sports Physiologist? I really would just start off with going to a general practioner first. They can then make the referral to a Chiropractor or Sports Physiologist.

I’m by far a doctor of any sort…but what’s your stretching/warm up technique? A lot of pain while lifting can be erased just by getting the joints and everything nice and warmed up…

Yes!
I mean a Physio, not a Psycho.
Just a small typo…

About referring to a general practioner-
I`m not sure who see about it…but u do have a point.

About my stretch routine:I try for splits, some calf and ankle stretches…
Warm up: Hindu squats-around 20.
Then regular BR sqts-with progressive weight.
Right now, I`m not doing anything at all…

Sounds like you’re experiencing some significant problems. I would get it looked at rather than just trying to work through it. Good luck.

Well i would def. recomend you going to see a PT who deals with athletes or an osteopath to diagnose your problem. From what you’ve described, your right knee problems could be coming from a weakness in your right glute area (primarily glute medius). This could also lead to a hip hike on that side which usually is acompanied by tightness in the trunk muscles of the same side.

If very tight these trunk muscles can give you a concave appearance to the left (think of the letter “C” on your back with your head being one end of the C and your hips being the other end…obviously this is a VERY crude example as it is nowhere near this severe, but it should give you an idea of what might be going on), this would stretch/weaken the left side trunk muscles. The pain in your glute area might also be coming from your SI joint or the large ligaments surounding that area. Dont ignore this area, I speak from experience when i say that it can cause big problems. Bottom line, be proactive and get yourself looked at…the quicker you fix the problem the quicker you can get back to hard training.

[quote]Boss14 wrote:
Well i would def. recomend you going to see a PT who deals with athletes or an osteopath to diagnose your problem. From what you’ve described, your right knee problems could be coming from a weakness in your right glute area (primarily glute medius). This could also lead to a hip hike on that side which usually is acompanied by tightness in the trunk muscles of the same side.

If very tight these trunk muscles can give you a concave appearance to the left (think of the letter “C” on your back with your head being one end of the C and your hips being the other end…obviously this is a VERY crude example as it is nowhere near this severe, but it should give you an idea of what might be going on), this would stretch/weaken the left side trunk muscles. The pain in your glute area might also be coming from your SI joint or the large ligaments surounding that area. Dont ignore this area, I speak from experience when i say that it can cause big problems. Bottom line, be proactive and get yourself looked at…the quicker you fix the problem the quicker you can get back to hard training.[/quote]

Hye! Sorry for the late late reply…plz answer some questions:
1.Its not as exagerrated but there is definitely a C shape-b/w my head and R hip.
2.About my glute pain my physio says that its not a ligament problem -the muscles in my glute are torn and thats what screwing me up.

Assuming what u say is true then:
1.what would the ideal therapy for me include?
My Physio gives me this wave therapy treatment on my knee and glute.
I`ve started bicycling for my knee.
I stretch for my hams while lying on my back.
I walk on my toes, heels and roll my feet on a ball for my flat feet.

2.You say it could be caused because of my SI joint/ligament.
My physio says muscle tear.
How can I check by myself whether its a muscle tear or a lig one?"

Ouch! I hate to see stuff like this. There is a reason that people tell you to watch your form - it is to avoid causing potentially serious damage to yourself.

Get professional help to get yourself out of this situation. Then, once you have been rehabilitated, please, never, ever, do anything so foolish as to completely ignore your form.

Lift smart, lift for life.

Another couple of things I think you should check out before you start squatting again.

1. Your foot/ankle alignment. If your ankles pronate (ie roll in, so that your ankle bones get closer to each other) then you need to think about seeing a podiatrist and getting orthotics. This helped me heaps.

2. Do you have any difference in leg length? You can check this yourself, or your physio (or a podiatrist) can tell you. If you do (and it is not uncommon) it can lead to a lot of imbalances in muscle development. Doing unilateral exercises, focusing on doing more work for the weaker side, will do a lot to address these.

3. When you do start squatting again, keep the weight at levels where you can maintain good form. You should check out articles on this site by Dave Tate on good squatting form.

[quote]sharetrader wrote:
Another couple of things I think you should check out before you start squatting again.

1. Your foot/ankle alignment. If your ankles pronate (ie roll in, so that your ankle bones get closer to each other) then you need to think about seeing a podiatrist and getting orthotics. This helped me heaps.

2. Do you have any difference in leg length? You can check this yourself, or your physio (or a podiatrist) can tell you. If you do (and it is not uncommon) it can lead to a lot of imbalances in muscle development. Doing unilateral exercises, focusing on doing more work for the weaker side, will do a lot to address these.

3. When you do start squatting again, keep the weight at levels where you can maintain good form. You should check out articles on this site by Dave Tate on good squatting form.[/quote]

1.Right ankle does turn in.
And I do have flat feet.
And bow legs.

2.My Right is longer than my L.

I`m seeing a foot Dr. soon.
You mention getting Orthotics. U mean foot inserts for flat feet correct?

[quote]Azrael wrote:
Boss14 wrote:

If very tight these trunk muscles can give you a concave appearance to the left (think of the letter “C” on your back with your head being one end of the C and your hips being the other end…obviously this is a VERY crude example as it is nowhere near this severe, but it should give you an idea of what might be going on), this would stretch/weaken the left side trunk muscles. The pain in your glute area might also be coming from your SI joint or the large ligaments surounding that area. Dont ignore this area, I speak from experience when i say that it can cause big problems. Bottom line, be proactive and get yourself looked at…the quicker you fix the problem the quicker you can get back to hard training.

Hye! Sorry for the late late reply…plz answer some questions:
1.Its not as exagerrated but there is definitely a C shape-b/w my head and R hip.
2.About my glute pain my physio says that its not a ligament problem -the muscles in my glute are torn and thats what screwing me up.

Assuming what u say is true then:
1.what would the ideal therapy for me include?
My Physio gives me this wave therapy treatment on my knee and glute.
I`ve started bicycling for my knee.
I stretch for my hams while lying on my back.
I walk on my toes, heels and roll my feet on a ball for my flat feet.

2.You say it could be caused because of my SI joint/ligament.
My physio says muscle tear.
How can I check by myself whether its a muscle tear or a lig one?"
[/quote]

Well its hard to diagnose you over the internet, but i would also question the torn glute muscle unless you’ve had an MRI on the area. This would also show if there is any other pathology such as a disc problem or a torn ligament. My statement about your SI area was not to say that you tore one of the ligaments but might have sprained it. There are a bunch of very large ligaments in that area that support that area. These ligaments can get sprained or develope trigger points which can cause pain. Since it seems like you have some pelvic alignment issues going on I would suspect there is some uneven stress being put in this area. An MRI is always a good idea just to get a good look at the area, but it wont show ligament sprains, this is usually diagnosed manually by a PT or even better an osteopath.
On another post i saw you said your right leg is longer than the other? Is this standing or lying down as it will change depending on what position you are looked at. From what you described earlier with your “c” shape and knee problems on that side i would think your right hip is higher on that side which would indicate a weak glute medius, although its impossible to say exactly without seeing you. If this is the case then you will need to do some activation/strengthening for the glute medius which could include side lying/bent leg abduction or band walks. You will also need to do activation/strengthening for your glutes. Both of these i believe are addressed in EC’s and MR’s Get your Butt in Gear articles. You would also need to stretch the left side ABDuctors and right side trunk muscles, while strenthening the left side trunk muscles. Also check to see if you have an exagerated lordosis as this could indicate a lower crossed syndrome which could include tight quads, hip flexors, tfl, weak abodominals. Did your physio indicate that your hamstrings were tight or is this something you are doing on your own? If the pelvis is tilted forward to much it can but a lot of tension in the hamstrings since the body will be trying to get that pelivs pulled back to where it belongs. Sorry if this post is all over the place, but without seeing you or knowing exactly what your problem is it is difficult to give exact answers.

Hey!
Thnx for replying back.
My Physio said an MRI is not needed.
She says shes sure that its a soft tissue injury and only solution would be rest.
U mention a disc problem:If I have a disc problem then it`ll hurt me on the spine,right?
Nothing like that so far.
You say that this can be diagnosed by an Oestopath…
So what exactly is an Oestopath?

About my pelvis alignment and leg length:
I`ll tell you how I noticed this.
To develop the arch of my foot I walk on my toes and heels.
When I was walking on my toes noticed that my R leg is longer.
However when I lye down I dont see any difference.

So it doesnt seem to be an actual difference in leg length.
Only cause of a twisted pelvis.
Another reason why I think my pelvis is twisted is cause when I do pull ups/downs I

notice that my upper body is more twisted from the waist towards the R side.
Then I twist my body towards the L and this takes care of the problem.
Its not now that I`m having this problem-had it for as long as I can remember.

About strengthing my glutes-I wont be able to do it now.
Without asking my physio I started with the Neanderthal no more exercises.
On day 1 I remember doing Warrior lunges and supine bridges.Only 1 set each.
The next dy my R glute was really hurting me.
The exercises I`m doing now include:cycling.
Stretching-

1.Lye on bed and pull knee to face/chest.

2.Take a towel or something.Hold the extremes in ur hands and ur toes b/w it.
Pull on the towel bringing ur feet up to a leg raise position and pull-this stretches

ur calf, hams and maybe even my glutes.But this one doesnt hurt me.

I tried this machine yesterday: U have 2 footplates on it and 2 handles which u hold

with ur hands and then u run.
It really hurt me.

I can work my upper body if want to.

No lordosis or anything.
But I`ll start working on my trunk muscles…

And how can I fix my pelvis/hip alignment problem and fix it correctly?

You need to focus on pushing your knees out when you squat. You’ll avoid further knee problems. If you have trouble w/ this, widden your squat stance more and continue to try to open your knees when squatting. You have weak hips letting you knees come in waiting to tear your interior knee ligamants.

Practice using a mini-band around your knees and squat pushing your knees out against the band. Soon start doing this w/ squat work w/ a bar on your back. You will quickly develope the hip power to keep your knees out.

[quote]Gatorarmz wrote:
You need to focus on pushing your knees out when you squat. You’ll avoid further knee problems. If you have trouble w/ this, widden your squat stance more and continue to try to open your knees when squatting. You have weak hips letting you knees come in waiting to tear your interior knee ligamants.

Practice using a mini-band around your knees and squat pushing your knees out against the band. Soon start doing this w/ squat work w/ a bar on your back. You will quickly develope the hip power to keep your knees out.[/quote]

Yup!
After it started really huring me thats wahta started doing.
But right now its hurting me so much even bodywt squats hurt me.
So this`ll have to wait.