Squat - Hip Problem

I started with 20 kgs on my squats and it took me a good 7 weeks to progress to 80 kgs. The squat was the easiest to progress in and I felt powerful doing them 3x a week. I always start with a negative since in the gym he does not own a squat rack which troubles me. I have to squat until i ask someone to put it on my back and just support me for the 5 or 6 sets.

Everything was fine. I did quite a big deload in my squats… around 15-20kgs. I’m around 83kgs now and I have a terrible hip problem when i squat. as i sit for them to load my back, i feel a little pain in my thigh and as load the weights(I have to bear the hip pain so i don’t stumble or do anything stupid) and this has caused my to reduce my stance to just shoulder width. And now its hard for me to progress in my squats.

Is the problem affecting my squats and my numbers? Is it hip mobility issues? I am quite rigid too. Flexibility is not my thing. Please suggest something for full body flexibility too so i don’t stumble on any such problems with any of my other lifts.

Pain is a good indicator that you have bad (improper) form. You should also invest in some PVC or a foam roller to roll your IT band, and do some active and static hip flexor stretching. But no one can really help you fix your form unless you get a coach or post a video.

^ agreed

You probably have either bad form or since you said you had “to reduce my stance to just shoulder width” your stance may have been too wide. I’d say a bit of hip flexor help wouldn’t hurt. The narrower stance should help take a bit of stress off of your hips. Honestly the best thing I’ve found for pain personally is just yoga when I start to feel beat up.

If you post a vid of your form you should be able to get some good ideas of what’s wrong.

Hmmmm. Getting a video will be difficult but Ill try. My stance was proper according to me and spotters but i might be wrong. Not too wide or narrow but with the increasing weight, narrow stance just doesn’t seem right. Anything to deal with the pain, I think I might’ve hurt something because I can feel restriction with my natural movements in everyday life. Just worried about my next workout.

Just a thought, but it sounds like you have pain on one side. I have the same problem. I tried narowing my stance, anqd tweaking anything and everything. I finally noticed I slide towards the painful hip when I come out of the hole. I’m working on lateral work to corect it.

[quote]brandy2431 wrote:
I started with 20 kgs on my squats and it took me a good 7 weeks to progress to 80 kgs. The squat was the easiest to progress in and I felt powerful doing them 3x a week. I always start with a negative since in the gym he does not own a squat rack which troubles me. I have to squat until i ask someone to put it on my back and just support me for the 5 or 6 sets.

Everything was fine. I did quite a big deload in my squats… around 15-20kgs. I’m around 83kgs now and I have a terrible hip problem when i squat. as i sit for them to load my back, i feel a little pain in my thigh and as load the weights(I have to bear the hip pain so i don’t stumble or do anything stupid) and this has caused my to reduce my stance to just shoulder width. And now its hard for me to progress in my squats.

Is the problem affecting my squats and my numbers? Is it hip mobility issues? I am quite rigid too. Flexibility is not my thing. Please suggest something for full body flexibility too so i don’t stumble on any such problems with any of my other lifts.[/quote]

I think most strength coaches would tell you to do defranco’s agile 8 before every workout. I have had success with it as well as many others. There is an abundance of information about the agile 8 warm up routine on this site and others.