Squat: Hip or Knee Break?

Just wondering how many of you guys break at the hips first instead of the knees when you’re squatting.

Do you think where you break first is something important or is it something we shouldn’t worry about?

hips should come first right? stick your ass back and then begin to lower the weight holding that arch… right?

Technically speaking they should break simultaniously. I prefer “feeling as if” my hips go first, as it lets me sit back, but looking at a video, they actually go together.

Hope this makes sense…

[quote]gadget wrote:
Technically speaking they should break simultaniously. I prefer “feeling as if” my hips go first, as it lets me sit back, but looking at a video, they actually go together.

Hope this makes sense… [/quote]

Agreed. By focusing on breaking the hips first, your knees should also break.

Hips should lead. The knees follow so closely that to an observer it looks simultaneous.

hips

[quote]gadget wrote:

Hope this makes sense… [/quote]

100% correct.

[quote]buffalokilla wrote:
gadget wrote:

Hope this makes sense…

100% correct.

[/quote]

I also agree, tho I do think the hips initiate the movement, which is what gadget probably means by “feeling as if” the hips move first.