T Nation

Squat, Hip and Oblique Pain.

Hey guys I need some advice. 3 weeks ago I was doing some rack deads, stupidly I tried to grind out an extra rep and half way up I felt that familiar shock in my lower back. The kind of injury where you can't even bend over and put your socks on.

Anyway after 2 weeks of heat and stretching the pain in my erectors was gone. But now when I try to squat I get a pain that goes from my hip joint to my oblique(towards the back close to my erectors). I feel the pain mostly during the eccentic portion of the squat.

I am a little frustrated cause I can only handle about 100 lbs less than normal and now bench more than I can squat. Has anyone experienced something similiar and what did you do to fix it.

No but after over two weeks Id say High time to get it looked at by a professional IMO

Good advice, Phill.

Also, you've most likely injured more than just what you thought. Your obliques, abdominals and lats are all used during rack pulls. You've strained them all. As the major damage lessens in pain, you become more aware of the little strains.

Concentrate on re-hab stretching movements. When you feel no pain, continue for one extra week. Then start back up at 25% and gradually return to full strength over 2 to 3 months. There's no rush, unless you want to re-aggravate it or not heal completely. Suck it up and take it slow.

Go to an ART practicioner and get your psoas released. It's not the most comfortable thing in the world but it should help.

Um, is it your erectors? I did something vaguely similar and it was my quadratus lumborum. It's easy to use those rather than something else (hammies) if your back rounds at the wrong time.

Get it looked at. What helped me on the comeback is a couple of things. Again, I might be full of it, but it all seemed to help.

Remember that for squats (front, overhead, back) they are essentially isometric for the abs and lower back. You should also be very aware of moving the hips. It seems that when I get sloppy and use my knees more that I compensate with my back. This is probably my own issue, but I pass it along as information.

• Load up the bar with a ton of weight (more than you can lift), get under it and do some isometric pushing. Yes isometric, the bar shouldn't budge. Do it with excellent form. Concentrate on keep the back flat. Ramp it up (i.e. force of the contractions, say, 60%, 75%, 85%, 100%) gradually. Do 3 or 4 of those with a fair amount of time between.

Use these as a diagnostic to see how everything works and how the power is coming through you from your legs and hips. If anything hurts, back off asap. Iso work is about as safe as it gets.

• IF that seemed to work (so no back pain), start your workout and do up to what you did for weight last time. After you are sure you are doing everything ok (again form, form, form. Think flat back, look at the ceiling and at least at this point focus on only moving hips and knees).

• If that works, put more weight on the bar (Maybe 50 lbs. more. You'll have to decide that.) Now get under the bar and do your isometric lift again. This time, the bar should float right up. If not, then you aren't doing this lift today. Do a few with good form -- partials might be a good idea, just to increase confidence so you'll know you won't get squished.

• Repeat (maybe next time?) with more weight until you get to your load.

Note that I worked in some way to get feedback (iso lift) before really doing anything. If it feels funky doing those it's a good bet you shouldn't be doing anything else.

And I could be wrong. But you'll tell me about that, won't you?

-- jj

I have a similar pain. It has to do with an inflamed sciatic nerve that runs from the lumbar region of the spinal cord through the glute, and down the leg. Stretching the glutes by pulling my foot toward my head while lying, and hanging my legs limp from a leg lift station has helped me. I also never deadlift to failure because my form will detiorate as I get closer to that point. While squatting, you should try not to lean forward too much either, since that puts a lot of strain on your lower back too.