Squat/Hinge Advice for Beginners?

Hello all,

My little brothers have been doing a lot of bodyweight movements and running for a while now, but wanted to start learning how to lift weights. I decided we’d try a front squat (with straps, as they’re not flexible enough for a clean grip but I prefer it over a cross-arm grip or whatever), a goblet squat (which I’d normally stick to solely, but I’m quite limited on dumbbells at the moment), and a hip hinge, which basically ended up being an RDL with a PVC pipe.

Let’s see if I can get videos on here without effin’ something up.

Here is the first one, doing all three movements:

Felt like he did fairly well at everything. I had them do the RDL’s with their toes elevated, as I’ve felt like that helps beginners really shove their hips back.

Here’s the second one, doing all three:

I felt like his squats were okay (I had him step back during his front squats because it seemed like his black clothing was maybe blending in with the weights.) His RDL needed some work. I told him to keep the bar touching his thighs, again, just because I feel like it works, but maybe it’s not for everyone.

Overall, what do people think? I’m not planning on loading up hundreds of pounds and telling them to do sets of 10, but I’m just trying to get them introduced to the movements. Squats I think will improve just as they do it more often, and same with RDL’s, but I’m just wondering if anyone has any tips or anything for teaching them.

Thanks!

1 Like

The kid looks like he’s moving great, just don’t give him the idea that he can’t improve.

Brian Alsruhes bracing video would be a good thing to hit him with next.

1 Like

Good work

Both kids looked a little leaned forward on the squats. Good bracing would solve that, and building some upperbody strength and mobility to hold the rack position higher. Prolly could use some more knees out. Head position would probably make it easier for them to get the elbows higher. If you can invest in an SSB, might be a good option instead of front squat

Kid 1 looked like his elbows were too far out on goblet squats, so thats a slight fix. I think he’d really benefit from more upperbody rigidity.

Toes up RDL in my experience shortens the range of motion. Looks easier for kid 1 until he had to flare his ribcage, kid 2 just seemed like he had crispy hamstrings and feet flat might have benefitted him.

I personally do RDLs to my around my knees. Maybe work there and do progressive range of motion?

1 Like

I would make them ditch those shoes, especially the ones with the visible air system!
Once they start loading I would opt for more stability- Adidas Samba or alike …

1 Like

They are lifting at home after all, so why not go barefoot?

Also I think there’s a lil too much too elevation on the raised toe RDLs. It seems too high - maybe a 2.5 or 5 on the ball of the foot (rather than midfoot)