T Nation

Squat Help

help with squat when i miss a lift it is right above parallel. i think it could be a few thnigs. glutes, hamstrings. when one have any ideals let me know.

if you can’t get the weight back up from getting low it is probably weak glutes or if your heels come up making you lose balance then you probably need to stretch your calves…can you upload a video?

How are you missing? Are you falling forward? Rising onto your toes? Or do you just come straight back down?

Dude. Please. Your post is pathetic. You expect someone to be able to diagnose your weakness from the lines you gave. First of all, where do you think 99% of the people miss the lift when they squat? Right at or right above parallel or depth. How is your form? How is your training? What type of squatting are you doing? What is your body type? How is your speed? Are you spending time on the box.

Basically, your question is about as general as walking into a math department and saying “I always fail at the hard math problems. Fix me.” Spend some more time describing your problem, post a video, etc. Good luck.

sorry in a bit of a rush when i was writering this. my stands is wide , my speed is good, my body type is im 6’2 260. i know that most miss the lift at parallel but i could be falling back , could be falling on my face , a number of way, but i should have said what way im missing it. im comeing up and i get just above parallel and i go back down. im not rocking on my toes just back down. if there is anything i felt out please ask . thanks for all your help

If you are spreading the floor and keeping your knees out then there your hips will stay tight. One thing to try is to put a mini band around your legs. Make sure it is staying tight at all times. How much are you squatting? What is your parallel box squat 1RM? Are you equipped or uneqipped? What is your arched back/stiff leg good morning 1RM?

[quote]parsley_2010 wrote:
sorry in a bit of a rush when i was writering this. my stands is wide , my speed is good, my body type is im 6’2 260. i know that most miss the lift at parallel but i could be falling back , could be falling on my face , a number of way, but i should have said what way im missing it. im comeing up and i get just above parallel and i go back down. im not rocking on my toes just back down. if there is anything i felt out please ask . thanks for all your help[/quote]

I’d say your pussying out. Fight the weight next time. And if you still miss it after a few seconds of fighting then come back!

sorry in a bit of a rush when i was writering this. my stands is wide , my speed is good, my body type is im 6’2 260. i know that most miss the lift at parallel but i could be falling back , could be falling on my face , a number of way, but i should have said what way im missing it. im comeing up and i get just above parallel and i go back down. im not rocking on my toes just back down. if there is anything i felt out please ask . thanks for all your help[/quote]

Where I come from, we call this getting smashed.

Now, what was your question?!?

[quote]Hanley wrote:
parsley_2010 wrote:
sorry in a bit of a rush when i was writering this. my stands is wide , my speed is good, my body type is im 6’2 260. i know that most miss the lift at parallel but i could be falling back , could be falling on my face , a number of way, but i should have said what way im missing it. im comeing up and i get just above parallel and i go back down. im not rocking on my toes just back down. if there is anything i felt out please ask . thanks for all your help

I’d say your pussying out. Fight the weight next time. And if you still miss it after a few seconds of fighting then come back!
[/quote]

That was an impression I got also at first. (Not trying to be mean.)

It might help to video yourself. I wonder what’s moving first. Your knees? Drive with your head and back before your knees. Momentum. Do your knees stay our or cave in? Are you staying tight and breathing proplerly?
How’s your assistance work?

Just some ideas. But it could be as easy(?) as your mind telling you, “Hey this bastard is heavy!” Post a video, I’m sure plenty would be willing to help!

lol jackass i know im getting smashed but i want to know why . what to what people think. its not going parallel, its getting 2 to 3 passed it .

i think it is my gluter but not sure, the last thing it is me not working hard or think it is heavy. lol no pussy here . the same thing happen when i deadlift but i get a little higher on the deadlift. so anyone have any other thing than saying i was smashed . would help thanks for your time.

Alright, dude.

What I am trying to tell you is quit worrying about what is weak and squat.

You can get stronger at your squat by squating. I know this is a novel idea around here, but I have a feeling it works.

Intrinsically, who gives as shit if you spend the rest of your life failing at just above parallel if the lift is going up.

All this internet “what’s my weakness” shit is fucking annoying.

I can assure you as soon as you address your “weakness” at that level, it will move somewhere else in the lift.

Just shut up and squat.

lol jackass i know im getting smashed but i want to know why . what to what people think. its not going parallel, its getting 2 to 3 passed it .

i think it is my gluter but not sure, the last thing it is me not working hard or think it is heavy. lol no pussy here . the same thing happen when i deadlift but i get a little higher on the deadlift. so anyone have any other thing than saying i was smashed . would help thanks for your time. [/quote]

Its your VMO. But everyone else is right too. Your VMO is weak but I think you should still be getting these lifts if you are getting out of the hole. Basically you will be grinding out that ROM that you are getting stuck at. Its kindof like when your doing hack squats, if you go deep and arent bouncing there is a spot usually a tad above parallel that will take a good while, and if you didnt know any better you might think the weight was too heavy because of how much harder it gets at that ROM, you just gotta go balls to the wall man.

Maybe try box squatting or squatting bar down to spotter chains- either one with a slight pause. That may help develop some starting power. Other than that, some thoughts on technique:

Are getting a big gulp of air and forcing out your abs before you descend?

Have you found you best stance- wide, narrow, somwhere between?

Are focusing on sitting back and driving your knees out as you descend?

no i think the same thing about to get stronger u need to do the lift . i was just looking for something to help where i was missing. i think my stands is fine i take in air before i squat , and yes if i fix that one it will be another, so anything anyone has for me let me know and i will keep u up to day on the sqaut & deadlift if u would like to know

no i think the same thing about to get stronger u need to do the lift . i was just looking for something to help where i was missing. i think my stands is fine i take in air before i squat , and yes if i fix that one it will be another, so anything anyone has for me let me know and i will keep u up to day on the sqaut & deadlift if u would like to know [/quote]

That’s cool. Often times how you come out of the hole, or rather, wether you make it through the transition has a lot to do with body position. (Limit lift aside.)

One of the things we use with frequency is a bottom half squat.

It is basically a full range of motion squat taken to just above your transition point and then down again. In other words, as deep as you can get and then about half way up.

We usually do 3x8’s at relatively light weight as an accesory movement.

They accomplish three things.

1. Teach you optimal body position approaching and coming out of the hole.
  2. Build confidence at depth.
  3. Help build starting strength and teach you to optimize the stretch reflex.

They will also anihiliate your legs.

You may consider giving these a try as a second or third movement after full squats.

thanks for the help . i started adding some bands to the workout , and goodmornings maybe that will hit it