T Nation

Squat Help: Technique and Types

Hi All:

I want to start squating but don’t really know the different types of squats and the form and techniques. Does anyone know of a video link that shows technique and form?

Also, I have a question. I’ve only been lifting for about two months. My current routine is a HIIT program by Waterbury, but my question is concerning bench presses. My beginning bench weight started at 65 lbs for 3 sets of 5 reps and has slowly increased to 110 lbs 4 sets of 5 reps, 125 lbs 4 sets of 5 reps.

I have been using a regular weight bar. I bought an Olympic bar with two 45 lbs plates to use for my deadlifts, but since I’ve run out of regular weights and my bench can increase I put the Olympic bar on the bench. So today the weight was two 45 lbs plates plus the '7 bar. I think this totals 135 lbs.

It seems to me the lifting of this weight was so much easier than the 125 lbs of the regular bar. Does the Olympic bar make lifting easier. I felt i was almost at max weight with the regular bar, but with the Olympic bar i think I could easily add another 30-40 lbs to my heavy sets, maybe more.

I appreciate your feedback.

It’s going to take you a while to get through, but Squat Rx is THE best resource for various squat forms.

One pound is one pound. I believe there is a lot of mental or subconscious thinking happening when you prepare to lift. When I just go through the motions, I lift much less than when I “psych” myself for the lift.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
It seems to me the lifting of this weight was so much easier than the 125 lbs of the regular bar. Does the Olympic bar make lifting easier. I felt i was almost at max weight with the regular bar, but with the Olympic bar i think I could easily add another 30-40 lbs to my heavy sets, maybe more.

One pound is one pound. I believe there is a lot of mental or subconscious thinking happening when you prepare to lift. When I just go through the motions, I lift much less than when I “psych” myself for the lift.[/quote]

Thanks for the squat video links. These are great, very helpful. Let’s see, i’ve watched the first 4 and they took me an hour, i wonder how long the other 99 will take?

I started going thru the motion of the front and back squats tonight with a regular weight bar without weight plates. Because my body weight is somewhere around 335-340 i’m wondering how much weight I should add as i start to put these squats into my workout routine. The motion of the squats work parts of my legs that i dont think I’ve been working much yet. I did about a dozen of each with bar and body weight and the legs are toast. And i might add my knee’s feel like bruised mashed potatoes. Maybe i just need to get used to using these muscles again, and it’l be ol’ hat before I know it.

I’d say add weight when ever you feel confident about throwing it on your back and planting your ass on the ground.
It takes awhile to get your mobility and flexibility to levels where you can do a full squat.
Just don’t jump ahead of yourself cause the squat may be the best exercise to do but if you mess it up you can really hurt your lower back.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6529481301858251744&q=The+FitCast&hl=en

Very informative. I got halfway through last nite before my connection died.

I’m sure ya’ll have seen it before but I like this site:

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Tons of info there!

[quote]funkhauser wrote:
I’d say add weight when ever you feel confident about throwing it on your back and planting your ass on the ground.
It takes awhile to get your mobility and flexibility to levels where you can do a full squat.
Just don’t jump ahead of yourself cause the squat may be the best exercise to do but if you mess it up you can really hurt your lower back.[/quote]

Thanks Funk, im sure i could add weight and actually lift it, my concern is really keeping my balance and keep from tearing every fricken ligament in my knees. I think i’m going to just use an Olympic bar tonight w/o weights and see how that goes. Once the balance and flexibility is there then I’ll start adding some plates. BTW the video link Dudes left above has some excersizs for flexibilty specifically for squats.

[quote]yasser wrote:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6529481301858251744&q=The+FitCast&hl=en

Very informative. I got halfway through last nite before my connection died.[/quote]

Thanks yasser, I’ll watch thus later tonight.

Yea front squats are great because you either do them or you can’t. I started doing these before switching to back squats and found my BS went up 60 lbs in a month and a half.

Also try some box squats with the bar just to let your body know the correct way to sit back.

Also, for mobility, I HIGHLY recommend trying out ‘The Mobility Complex’ as a warm-up for every training session. After a month of these you will be able to go ATG.

Link : http://www.T-Nation.com/article/performance_training/the_mobility_complex&cr=performanceTraining

[quote]cynical kane wrote:
If you can squat below parallel, there’s no reason to wait. I believe front squats stretch the hams less and might be safer for inflexible people. But don’t quote me on that, I’ve never done them.

What is a ‘regular’ bar? I’ve only seen Olympic bars and womens’ olympic bars in the gyms I’ve been to.[/quote]

Its the bar from a beginner weight set. The bar has a smaller circumference and the holes are also smaller. The bar probably weights 10-12 lbs.

[quote]funkhauser wrote:
Yea front squats are great because you either do them or you can’t. I started doing these before switching to back squats and found my BS went up 60 lbs in a month and a half.

Also try some box squats with the bar just to let your body know the correct way to sit back.

Also, for mobility, I HIGHLY recommend trying out ‘The Mobility Complex’ as a warm-up for every training session. After a month of these you will be able to go ATG.

Link : http://www.T-Nation.com/article/performance_training/the_mobility_complex&cr=performanceTraining[/quote]

Thats a great article. I could use these stretches and warm ups. I can do the front squats, in fact im going to throw some plates on the bar for the first time tonight. I dont have a squat rack yet so it’ll be lite but im amped to get the weights going on the squat.

Ok had some success with the front and back squats using the Olympic bar and two small 10 lb plates. The weight was a pathetic 65 lbs but the form was good and it didnt feel as ackward as it has earlier in the week.

The warm up stretches in the video above from Funk really helped with flexability. So thanks again Funk!

Since tonight was the first time using the Olympic Bar, and the light weight, i have a question about the back squat. I couldnt get a good feel for the bar on the back of my shoulders. It felt very odd when standing upright. Once I went into the squat it didnt feel to ackward but it did when I was in the squat stance. I’m asking becasue it almost seemed to hurt the tops of my shoulders and the bar seemed to roll up into the back of my neck. Is this normal? Is this just a feeling i need to get used too?

In addition, I also found it uncomfortable lifting my arms up behind the bar to hold the bar palms on top while setting up for the back squat. Is this also normal? It just seemed my arms were real stiff, and it was difficult to keep a good grip on the bar. It wasnt that big of a problem becuase i didnt have that much weight on the bar but if there was more weight on the bar I would have been concerned.

I appreciate your feedback.

You should be pushing the bar into your traps with your hands instead of trying to hold the bar upright. It’s hard to talk about bar position on the back squat because I just started doing them and I am having the same problem.

What I find that works is to bring your arms as close as possible to your body and shrug your shoulders and rest the bar about 2 inches below your lower neck.

I think it will become easier after a few weeks for your arms to get adjusted to the new position.

As for bar position just watch alot of you-tube videos and try and see where they position it.