Squat Help Needed - 4 Wks Out!

[quote]zishe wrote:
after your meet, i would try doing safety squat bar squats for a while, that will bring up your upper back weakness, plus, do arched back good mornings as an accessory[/quote]

that’s if she has access to a safety squat bar, those are damn rare in the Toronto Area.

If you don’t, I’ve found Zercher Squats & Front Squats to be decent substitutes. We actually just got a Yoke Bar this summer. One of the guys had one in his basement from after blowing his biceps tendon, and after I dislocated my shoulder (again…) doing suspended GM’s with the squat bar, he brought it in

[quote]zishe wrote:
after your meet, i would try doing safety squat bar squats for a while, that will bring up your upper back weakness, plus, do arched back good mornings as an accessory[/quote]

I do GM’s. Don’t have a safety bar, though.

[quote]zishe wrote:

I do GM’s. Don’t have a safety bar, though.

do you have access to farmer’s walk? that or a trap bar would help also. can you post a vid of your squat form? maybe you carry the bar too high?

[quote]chrisarmes wrote:
If you don’t, I’ve found Zercher Squats & Front Squats to be decent substitutes. We actually just got a Yoke Bar this summer. One of the guys had one in his basement from after blowing his biceps tendon, and after I dislocated my shoulder (again…) doing suspended GM’s with the squat bar, he brought it in[/quote]

x2

Now are you talking a Cambered bar or something like a Safety Squat Bar?

[quote]zishe wrote:
do you have access to farmer’s walk? that or a trap bar would help also. can you post a vid of your squat form? maybe you carry the bar too high?[/quote]

I’m gonna disagree on those two. As a strongman normally, I haven’t seen any real carry over to my squat from my farmer’s runs.

[quote]majik wrote:

[quote]chrisarmes wrote:
If you don’t, I’ve found Zercher Squats & Front Squats to be decent substitutes. We actually just got a Yoke Bar this summer. One of the guys had one in his basement from after blowing his biceps tendon, and after I dislocated my shoulder (again…) doing suspended GM’s with the squat bar, he brought it in[/quote]

x2

Now are you talking a Cambered bar or something like a Safety Squat Bar? [/quote]

Safety Squat. Its the one EFS sells with the cut and welded ends, rather than the bent ones. Its surprisingly brutal. I hate it with a passion because of how badly I suck with it, and as a result, try to use it as much as possible :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]chrisarmes wrote:

I have done some front squats from time to time. Main thing that holds me back is that my grip gives out before my legs do.

Are you holding it in the rack position of a clean, or with your arms folded across your chest? If you’re in the rack position of a clean then

1. F*** you and your wrist flexibility (I kid of course)
  2. Try the arms folded position, with the bar across the clavicles
  3. I suck at both rack position and folded arms (thank you, T-rex arms), and therefore prefer Zerchers. Lot easier to do, but can be a bit harsh on the elbows.

i was talking more of farmer’s holds to bring up upper back strength, zerchers are an under rated exercise, use a thick bar and it wont bite into your forearms as much

[quote]chrisarmes wrote:
Are you holding it in the rack position of a clean, or with your arms folded across your chest? If you’re in the rack position of a clean then

3. I suck at both rack position and folded arms (thank you, T-rex arms), and therefore prefer Zerchers. Lot easier to do, but can be a bit harsh on the elbows.[/quote]

I always used a clean position, because it felt more stable. My wrist flexibility is good, but gives out after time. I’m a wimp, and don’t do zerchers because they “hurt my arms”, haha.

I will practice a cross grip and see if it helps.

[quote]chrisarmes wrote:

[quote]majik wrote:

[quote]chrisarmes wrote:

x2

Now are you talking a Cambered bar or something like a Safety Squat Bar? [/quote]

Safety Squat. Its the one EFS sells with the cut and welded ends, rather than the bent ones. Its surprisingly brutal. I hate it with a passion because of how badly I suck with it, and as a result, try to use it as much as possible :P[/quote]

My wife and I have one (Etobicoke). If any of you guys want, you’re welcome to come lift with us sometime. In addition to EFS, you order them from Paul V here: www.ultimatefitnessgyms.com/strongman_equipment_store.html
It’s likely a bit cheaper due to the cross boarder shipping, plus you’re helping out a local lifter.

[quote]sneezingstardust wrote:

[quote]chrisarmes wrote:

3. I suck at both rack position and folded arms (thank you, T-rex arms), and therefore prefer Zerchers. Lot easier to do, but can be a bit harsh on the elbows.[/quote]

I always used a clean position, because it felt more stable. My wrist flexibility is good, but gives out after time. I’m a wimp, and don’t do zerchers because they “hurt my arms”, haha.

I will practice a cross grip and see if it helps. [/quote]

It will, a think bar does really help for Zercher’s. I’m giving up and getting a welder to make me a Super yoke this summer and storing it at my gym. Gonna make sure the bar is at least 3" thick, for Zercher runs, yolk runs, and well I’ll probably bring a stone or two to the gym for Atlas stones.

Also, I’m lucky I have access to a front squat harness.

[quote]OBoile wrote:

[quote]chrisarmes wrote:

[quote]majik wrote:

[quote]chrisarmes wrote:

x2

Safety Squat. Its the one EFS sells with the cut and welded ends, rather than the bent ones. Its surprisingly brutal. I hate it with a passion because of how badly I suck with it, and as a result, try to use it as much as possible :P[/quote]

My wife and I have one (Etobicoke). If any of you guys want, you’re welcome to come lift with us sometime. In addition to EFS, you order them from Paul V here:http://www.ultimatefitnessgyms.com/strongman_equipment_store.html
It’s likely a bit cheaper due to the cross boarder shipping, plus you’re helping out a local lifter.[/quote]

the question now is where are you in Etobicoke?

for the record, I’m in the south west end of Etobicoke.

[quote]majik wrote:

[quote]OBoile wrote:

[quote]chrisarmes wrote:

[quote]majik wrote:

[quote]chrisarmes wrote:

x2

My wife and I have one (Etobicoke). If any of you guys want, you’re welcome to come lift with us sometime. In addition to EFS, you order them from Paul V here:http://www.ultimatefitnessgyms.com/strongman_equipment_store.html
It’s likely a bit cheaper due to the cross boarder shipping, plus you’re helping out a local lifter.[/quote]

the question now is where are you in Etobicoke?

for the record, I’m in the south west end of Etobicoke.
[/quote]

South East end I guess. Off the Queensway. We just have a gym set up in our garage… a bit cold this time of year, but it is great in the spring/summer.

[quote]OBoile wrote:

[quote]chrisarmes wrote:

[quote]majik wrote:

[quote]chrisarmes wrote:

x2

My wife and I have one (Etobicoke). If any of you guys want, you’re welcome to come lift with us sometime. In addition to EFS, you order them from Paul V here: www.ultimatefitnessgyms.com/strongman_equipment_store.html

Damn you two and your cool equipment. I still think about your GHR with envy.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

Damn you two and your cool equipment. I still think about your GHR with envy.[/quote]

You don’t need a GHR machine to do GHR’s.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

Damn you two and your cool equipment. I still think about your GHR with envy.[/quote]

You don’t need a GHR machine to do GHR’s. [/quote]

Really?

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

You don’t need a GHR machine to do GHR’s. [/quote]

Really?[/quote]

Haha…okay sorry.