Squat Getting Stuck Coming Out of Hole

Question about squat physiology.

Assuming your form is ok on a given PR attempt,but the weight is too heavly and it’s a missed lift. Why is it that you don’t generally get stuck in bottom of your hole (for me that’s slightly below parralel), but instead I’m able to lift the weight out of the hole and then I get stuck inch or more out of the hole on my way up?

You’d think that if the weight was too heavy for me that I’d get stuck in the hole and unable to budge it, but that’s not the case. And I’m not using a bounce or momemtum to get out of the hole. I squat under tension going down, and under control I can get out of the hole but then after an inch or more I miss the lift.

There must be some anatomical, or sports science explanation. Thanks…

I’m no Dr., but perhaps the stretch reflex at the bottom pops you out of the hole but not enough to continue the momentum up? I bet JFit has an idea about this.

It’s because the primary moment arm for the movement (your femur) is longest at parallel, thus you have the least leverage there.

As pushmepullme said, there is the stretch reflex as well.

What can also happen is your hips start coming up but your back doesn’t. GM’s and Front Squats can help with that.

[quote]DragnCarry wrote:

What can also happen is your hips start coming up but your back doesn’t. GM’s and Front Squats can help with that.[/quote]

so you suggest front squats for chest caves?

isnt that basically how everyone fails most exercises,

you usually give it your all and move abit for the first few seconds, then your muscles give out and you have to put the weight down, rarely do you fail without moving at all, unless you up the weight by a huge amout

[quote]honest wrote:
isnt that basically how everyone fails most exercises,

you usually give it your all and move abit for the first few seconds, then your muscles give out and you have to put the weight down, rarely do you fail without moving at all, unless you up the weight by a huge amout[/quote]

I kinda see your point, but for example with deadlift when I miss the lift it’s always because I can’t budge the weight off the floor. It almost never occurs that I get it going off the floor but can’t complete the lock out.

And that’s my query, with squats I can get out of my hole but fail around parralel or just above parralel.
What others have said seems to make some sense, that altho I lift under control there is still some rebound effect that’s helping me get out of the hole.

even with the deadlift it can be the hips coming out the hole but the chest caving…many failures off the floor on deadlift occur because the upper back cannot stay as tight and the arms just stretch and the back rounds…have someone watch you fail and comment on what it looks like

[quote]DragnCarry wrote:
What can also happen is your hips start coming up but your back doesn’t. GM’s and Front Squats can help with that.[/quote]

+1

This happens to a lot of people.

Start practicing front squats from the bottom of the rack and up without a stretch reflex. Your strength out of the whole will increase a ton in just a few weeks of doing it!!

I would think b/c it’s a transition point and it’s a lot harder to control the weight between these points.

Most people that have problems in the hole are quad dominant.

My thoughts…not necessarily fact.

[quote]B rocK wrote:

[/quote]

Why?

If you squat raw, your sticking point is just above the hole. Everyone’s is. It doesn’t have anything to do with synergistic dominance.

[quote]arnoud verschoor wrote:
B rocK wrote:

Why?[/quote]

From my experience, it’s not too uncommon.

Just like people who have a bigger chest then others, or bigger arms…some body parts are more dominant then others…it all varies per person.

I’m quad and shoulder dominant. My hamstrings are always lagging behind, and my shoulders control the majority of my bench; as can be seen by my small titties.

[quote]gainera2582 wrote:
Start practicing front squats from the bottom of the rack and up without a stretch reflex. Your strength out of the whole will increase a ton in just a few weeks of doing it!![/quote]

Great tip !!! seems to make sense, I used to do squats in rack from bottom position few years back, Brooks Kibuk promotes those alot in Dinosaur files. thanks

[quote]kickureface wrote:
so you suggest front squats for chest caves?[/quote]

It depends on what you mean by ‘chest caves’? If your upper back is rounding over too far then I would recommend upper back work, but if your mid to lower back isn’t able to support the weight then I would definitely bring my front-squat up then see what happens.

[quote]Ryan P. McCarter wrote:
If you squat raw, your sticking point is just above the hole. Everyone’s is. It doesn’t have anything to do with synergistic dominance.[/quote]

Such a great post, and I totally agree.

I’ve actually noticed that as my core gets proportionally stronger, my sticking point moves up higher.