Squat Frequency

The more I squat the better I get at it. If I squat less than 3 times a week I always feel off when I try to squat

[quote]joebrandenburg wrote:
I love high frequency, personally. Doing as much as the body can possibly handle is a good indicator. When you are constantly pushing the threshold of work capacity, you will constantly be increasing said work capacity.

I think it’s good for everyone who trains seriously, to at least experiment with daily squatting. Now for some that might be only 135 lbs, but that doesn’t mean you don’t gain anything from it.

High frequency allows you to myelinate all of the pathways, and you become a fucking boss at squatting. As long as you work up to it reasonably, you will be safe.[/quote]

I squat twice a week currently but have experimented with daily squatting in the past. I agree that this was beneficial to me as a lifter. Also, it clearly works for you, as I have seen your videos and you are quite strong.

That being said, I would be interested to see the scientific literature that points to a lifter being able to “myelinate all of the pathways.” What kind of increase in myelination? A greater number of myelin wrappings around the motor neuron axons? Unmyelinated axons becoming ensheathed? Interneurons in the CNS or alpha-motor neurons in the PNS? It is generally accepted that an increase in strength (as it relates to the nervous system, as opposed to muscle cross-sectional area) occurs through an increase in the number of motor units recruited.

That is not to say that an increase in myelination does not occur, however, as I said, I would be interested in those studies.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

Also, even if squatting yielded nothing, I’d still do it. I fucking love squatting.[/quote]

This is what I mean. I can imagine some folks actually take joy in the activity, whereas many other confuse loving the results with loving the methods.[/quote]

Well then I retract my previous post, I would still squat if it yielded nothing as well.

Also, even if squatting yielded nothing, I’d still do it. I fucking love squatting.[/quote]

This is what I mean. I can imagine some folks actually take joy in the activity, whereas many other confuse loving the results with loving the methods.[/quote]

I see what you mean, I definitely like the results more then I do the actual activity of it but it does feel cool being able to lift heavy weights.

[quote]bdocksaints75 wrote:
I see what you mean, I definitely like the results more then I do the actual activity of it but it does feel cool being able to lift heavy weights.[/quote]

Absolutely. I love getting stronger, however it takes to get me there.

Personally Deadlifting takes more out of me than Squatting. I prefer squatting twice a week one day is a strength focused day and the other is an endurance / hypertrophy / rep day. I find I can progress and become more effective DLing weekly sometimes bi weekly, however squatting weekly only and my progression and effectiveness goes to the shitter.

The only time I ever hit a single is in a competition.[/quote]
Same here!

Guys, what is the 531 ‘FULL BODY VERSION’??

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
Personally Deadlifting takes more out of me than Squatting. I prefer squatting twice a week one day is a strength focused day and the other is an endurance / hypertrophy / rep day. I find I can progress and become more effective DLing weekly sometimes bi weekly, however squatting weekly only and my progression and effectiveness goes to the shitter.[/quote]

This.

If I feel like doing a third day of squatting, I like to do front squats, pause squats, DE type of work or technique improvement.

Also, most people don’t have GOOD technique on the squat. I think a lot of people still underestimate the value of just practicing the lift with the intention of improving technique. People like to get all caught up in percents and the perfect split. If you’re talented and can squat 1x per week and still do it with great form – more power to you. But those people are probably in the minority.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
Personally Deadlifting takes more out of me than Squatting. I prefer squatting twice a week one day is a strength focused day and the other is an endurance / hypertrophy / rep day. I find I can progress and become more effective DLing weekly sometimes bi weekly, however squatting weekly only and my progression and effectiveness goes to the shitter.[/quote]

Samesies for me.

Best progress for me on my squat is squatting at least twice a week with varying intensity/percentages between the days. Helps me recover better as well by keeping my work capacity for squatting up.

I’ve deadlifted multiple times a week as well trying to follow the same principle and never had the same improvement and a couple times I tried made my deadlift worse and an overall more miserable experience.

[quote]deadlift655 wrote:

[quote]deadlift655 wrote:
Well I guess I’m that rare person who loves squatting since it is the only thing I do for lower body.
I actually make my best gains by just doing singles and not burning myself out with reps. It allows to me to occasionally squat more than once a week, which seems to help even more. I uploaded a video of my squats, though yesterday I hit 495 with the same form as in the video. Just my opinion though.
[/quote]

You love squatting, or you find it to be effective?

IE: If squatting did not make you bigger or stronger and had no positive benefits, would you still do it?[/quote]

Lol, well if it had no benefit than probably not.[/quote]

I feel like that’s ultimately the takeaway. Few people love squatting, they instead love the results of squatting. If I could get the results of squatting by eating pizza instead, I would definitely give up the squats for the pizza.[/quote]

I’m bring this post back in because I think it’s hilarious, accurate, and I am hoping science one day replaces squats with pizza.

My personal programming has moved from squatting once a month and bitching about the DOMS to squatting at least twice a week, mostly front squatting. When I am too sore to do anything else, I squat. When I’m too sore to squat, I squat with less weight. The best part is getting the stabilizers caught up and having a truly solid base.

[quote]jhtitleist wrote:
Anybody else here like high frequency squatting, like at least 3 days a week? I can’t lift without squatting at least to a heavy single. Ive never believed in “splits”. I have done a couple rounds of 531 full body version it was great getting to use 531 and squatting 3 days.

I recently took a month off from training, and I have been doing SS to get back into form. I hit 315 for a single today no belt at 163 pounds after 3x5 at 265, 1x275, 1x285. I feel like I can’t not squat when I go to the gym. Anybody else like squatting at a higher frequency? Pros/Cons?[/quote]

I’m currently squatting 5x5 5 days a week. I’ve been a proponent for a long time. My little brother as well, who’s been squatting 5 days a week for almost 2 years.

[quote]Arjen Rudd wrote:

I’ve deadlifted multiple times a week as well trying to follow the same principle and never had the same improvement and a couple times I tried made my deadlift worse and an overall more miserable experience.[/quote]

I actually get great results deadlifting more than once a week, although it is brutal to do it 3 or more times

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]jhtitleist wrote:
Anybody else here like high frequency squatting, like at least 3 days a week? I can’t lift without squatting at least to a heavy single. Ive never believed in “splits”. I have done a couple rounds of 531 full body version it was great getting to use 531 and squatting 3 days.

I recently took a month off from training, and I have been doing SS to get back into form. I hit 315 for a single today no belt at 163 pounds after 3x5 at 265, 1x275, 1x285. I feel like I can’t not squat when I go to the gym. Anybody else like squatting at a higher frequency? Pros/Cons?[/quote]

I’m currently squatting 5x5 5 days a week. I’ve been a proponent for a long time. My little brother as well, who’s been squatting 5 days a week for almost 2 years.[/quote]

For the last three weeks, I’ve been squatting 6 days a week. The first week was rough, soreness in adductors and hip flexors from getting used to the frequency.

Otherwise, it’s been all right, and I’ve been pretty loose and relaxed during the day.

HOWEVER, I’ve got a weird dilemma. I’m loose during the day, but as I ramp up in weight during warmups, I get stiffer and stiffer. I gave it a couple weeks, thinking it would go away but it hasn’t.

So I went through the list: hydration is good, calcium is good, magnesium is good, sodium is good. I got to potassium, and I don’t think I’m getting enough. I have a feeling the tightness/stiffness might be coming from that. I don’t know for sure. I started taking some potassium two nights ago. It seems to be slightly better, but it’s not been long enough to tell.

Is there anything else it could be? Am I missing something obvious?

I basically get stiff, tight and achy during the workout itself, and then it gets a little worse after, and about two hours later I’m pretty much fine again.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]jhtitleist wrote:

I’m currently squatting 5x5 5 days a week. I’ve been a proponent for a long time. My little brother as well, who’s been squatting 5 days a week for almost 2 years.[/quote]

For the last three weeks, I’ve been squatting 6 days a week. The first week was rough, soreness in adductors and hip flexors from getting used to the frequency.

Otherwise, it’s been all right, and I’ve been pretty loose and relaxed during the day.

HOWEVER, I’ve got a weird dilemma. I’m loose during the day, but as I ramp up in weight during warmups, I get stiffer and stiffer. I gave it a couple weeks, thinking it would go away but it hasn’t.

So I went through the list: hydration is good, calcium is good, magnesium is good, sodium is good. I got to potassium, and I don’t think I’m getting enough. I have a feeling the tightness/stiffness might be coming from that. I don’t know for sure. I started taking some potassium two nights ago. It seems to be slightly better, but it’s not been long enough to tell.

I basically get stiff, tight and achy during the workout itself, and then it gets a little worse after, and about two hours later I’m pretty much fine again.[/quote]

Um…foam rolling? Soft tissue work? Lacrosse ball of pain? Mobility exercises on hip flexors, glutes, calves, IT band hip internal/external rotation? Ankle range of motion? Those are kind of the big priority bag.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

I basically get stiff, tight and achy during the workout itself, and then it gets a little worse after, and about two hours later I’m pretty much fine again.[/quote]

Um…foam rolling? Soft tissue work? Lacrosse ball of pain? Mobility exercises on hip flexors, glutes, calves, IT band hip internal/external rotation? Ankle range of motion? Those are kind of the big priority bag.[/quote]

Prior to squatting, I’m all sorts of limber and flexible with no stiffness, aches or pain.

I’ve been rolling my IT band and lacrosse balling the outside of my hips. I’ve been doing some dynamic swinging of my legs forward and back, side-to-side to stretch and loosen things up during my warmup. Before lifting, I’ve also been stretching at the bottom with the bar and 95, just holding it and getting deeper. After I finish lifting, I’ve been doing some static stretching of my quads, hamstrings, hip flexors, abductors. No issues with my ankles.

It seems to really start when I get to about 85%ish, starting first with tightness in the hip flexors, and then spreading to quads and hamstrings. The more I lift, the tighter it gets. Maybe “tightness” isn’t quite the word, since I don’t really lose much flexibility or mobility. I can continue to squat, it’s just really achy.

It’s almost like a pump-gone-wrong, which is why I started down the electrolyte balance path. I know I’m a bit potassium deficient intake-wise. I’m just not sure if that’s really the issue here.

This is happening while ramping doubles, then singles. Not too much for reps or volume.

Post a vid of form for each major %.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

Um…foam rolling? Soft tissue work? Lacrosse ball of pain? Mobility exercises on hip flexors, glutes, calves, IT band hip internal/external rotation? Ankle range of motion? Those are kind of the big priority bag.[/quote]

Prior to squatting, I’m all sorts of limber and flexible with no stiffness, aches or pain.

I’ve been rolling my IT band and lacrosse balling the outside of my hips. I’ve been doing some dynamic swinging of my legs forward and back, side-to-side to stretch and loosen things up during my warmup. Before lifting, I’ve also been stretching at the bottom with the bar and 95, just holding it and getting deeper. After I finish lifting, I’ve been doing some static stretching of my quads, hamstrings, hip flexors, abductors. No issues with my ankles.

It seems to really start when I get to about 85%ish, starting first with tightness in the hip flexors, and then spreading to quads and hamstrings. The more I lift, the tighter it gets. Maybe “tightness” isn’t quite the word, since I don’t really lose much flexibility or mobility. I can continue to squat, it’s just really achy.

It’s almost like a pump-gone-wrong, which is why I started down the electrolyte balance path. I know I’m a bit potassium deficient intake-wise. I’m just not sure if that’s really the issue here.

This is happening while ramping doubles, then singles. Not too much for reps or volume.[/quote]

Hmm. What is your dietary intake of fats? and omega 3s?

Also, check vitamin B and D. and maybe supplement. No science, just a gut feeling.

Also, if all else fails, may try something like Biotest’s curcumin to see if the anti-inflammatory properties help the achiness.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Hmm. What is your dietary intake of fats? and omega 3s?

Also, check vitamin B and D. and maybe supplement. No science, just a gut feeling.

Also, if all else fails, may try something like Biotest’s curcumin to see if the anti-inflammatory properties help the achiness.[/quote]

Fats are 130ish grams a day. Few omega 3s though.

D is good – supplementing with 5000IU a day + vitamin d milk – blood tests were good. Bs I haven’t had checked for a long while but nothing was out of the ordinary back then.

However, once I see how this potassium addition plays out a bit more over the next few days, I’ll add in the omega 3s again. I just stopped taking them for some reason, and eat very little seafood right now. And then up the Bs.

Thanks.

For me i squat 3 times per week monday 3x8 wednesday 3x5 and friday 3x3. Thats work sets anyway, i normally 5 warms ups first. Its simple and im steadily getting stronger, works for me.