Squat Frequency

Anybody else here like high frequency squatting, like at least 3 days a week? I can’t lift without squatting at least to a heavy single. Ive never believed in “splits”. I have done a couple rounds of 531 full body version it was great getting to use 531 and squatting 3 days.

I recently took a month off from training, and I have been doing SS to get back into form. I hit 315 for a single today no belt at 163 pounds after 3x5 at 265, 1x275, 1x285. I feel like I can’t not squat when I go to the gym. Anybody else like squatting at a higher frequency? Pros/Cons?

I don’t know what the con would be. If you have the time for it I don’t know why you wouldn’t be. I absolutely have to squat at least twice a week. I’d like to squat more, but anymore would interfere with deadlifts.

This is just my humble opinion but nothing is as demanding as squatting and therefore requires the most amount of rest. Personally, I use the dynamite analogy; you can tap on it all you want and get nothing or hit it hard once and KABOOM!

It is rare to find someone who enjoys squatting since you have to be a bit masochistic. But in your case less will be more. And please, stay away from the singles. The only thing you will get out of them is injured. For me, the only time I even did triples was prior to a meet. Most of my gains came around the 10,6,6,6.

One other thing, where are you putting your deadlifts?

[quote]doublelung84 wrote:
This is just my humble opinion but nothing is as demanding as squatting and therefore requires the most amount of rest. Personally, I use the dynamite analogy; you can tap on it all you want and get nothing or hit it hard once and KABOOM!

It is rare to find someone who enjoys squatting since you have to be a bit masochistic. But in your case less will be more. And please, stay away from the singles. The only thing you will get out of them is injured. For me, the only time I even did triples was prior to a meet. Most of my gains came around the 10,6,6,6.

[/quote]

Well I guess I’m that rare person who loves squatting since it is the only thing I do for lower body.
I actually make my best gains by just doing singles and not burning myself out with reps. It allows to me to occasionally squat more than once a week, which seems to help even more. I uploaded a video of my squats, though yesterday I hit 495 with the same form as in the video. Just my opinion though.

[quote]deadlift655 wrote:
Well I guess I’m that rare person who loves squatting since it is the only thing I do for lower body.
I actually make my best gains by just doing singles and not burning myself out with reps. It allows to me to occasionally squat more than once a week, which seems to help even more. I uploaded a video of my squats, though yesterday I hit 495 with the same form as in the video. Just my opinion though.
[/quote]

You love squatting, or you find it to be effective?

IE: If squatting did not make you bigger or stronger and had no positive benefits, would you still do it?

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[/quote]

IE: If squatting did not make you bigger or stronger and had no positive benefits, would you still do it?[/quote]

Lol, well if it had no benefit than probably not.

[/quote]

Done with some knowlege, you can get plenty of growth out of singles with no more risk than high rep work. You can get great results out of rep work too, but it ain’t the only way to skin the cat.

Same goes for higher squat frequencies.

[/quote]

IE: If squatting did not make you bigger or stronger and had no positive benefits, would you still do it?[/quote]

Lol, well if it had no benefit than probably not.[/quote]

I feel like that’s ultimately the takeaway. Few people love squatting, they instead love the results of squatting. If I could get the results of squatting by eating pizza instead, I would definitely give up the squats for the pizza.

High frequency strength training (HFST) works great. Especially for squatting. Just look at Olympic weightlifters. For them squatting 3x/week is considered low frequency. I use HFST myself.

Having said that, being able to train something in some capacity more frequently doesn’t always mean one should. Try it for yourself and learn what you can handle and when you make good progress.

I love squats and cleans. I absolutely hate bench press and overhead press. Obviously no one would lift anything if it didn’t lead to strength gains, but if I could only do one lift out of the big three it would be squats.

Squatting is very beneficial. Having to hold a deep seated squat in the middle of bumfuck Russia on a bitter February day over a pit toilet shitter with diarrhea from the bad food made me appreciate having a little leg strength.

[/quote]

I took a month off before getting back into it. Right now I am doing starting strength, just to get back into, but I am going to switch back to Wendler’s 531 Fullbody template. Its in his Beyond 531 Book. Essentially- Squat, Press, Pull every workout, with the one exception being that I only go for a rep record once a week on squats.

[/quote]

[/quote]

1.) I love squatting… if you don’t, then why compete in powerlifting? lol
2.) Higher frequency is almost always better than lower frequency, in my opinion
3.) Singles are one of the most effective forms of training for a powerlifter; in fact, in most cases they probably are the most effective - they are competition specific, and they do not create unnecessary physical recovery demands (in terms of extreme DOMS etc.)

Obviously injury could affect your ability to lift like this, but I find higher reps to be far more dangerous in general. Singles/doubles allow complete tension and focus, higher reps do not.

The only time I ever hit a single is in a competition.

[quote]halcj wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

1.) I love squatting… if you don’t, then why compete in powerlifting? lol
2.) Higher frequency is almost always better than lower frequency, in my opinion
3.) Singles are one of the most effective forms of training for a powerlifter; in fact, in most cases they probably are the most effective - they are competition specific, and they do not create unnecessary physical recovery demands (in terms of extreme DOMS etc.)

Obviously injury could affect your ability to lift like this, but I find higher reps to be far more dangerous in general. Singles/doubles allow complete tension and focus, higher reps do not.[/quote]

Well said. I find higher reps to be too fatiguing and seem to get worse when doing them. More soreness and even more fatigue.

The only time I ever hit a single is in a competition.[/quote]

And I’m going to take a shot in the dark here but I bet it was a lot of weight. :slight_smile:

I love high frequency, personally. Doing as much as the body can possibly handle is a good indicator. When you are constantly pushing the threshold of work capacity, you will constantly be increasing said work capacity.

I think it’s good for everyone who trains seriously, to at least experiment with daily squatting. Now for some that might be only 135 lbs, but that doesn’t mean you don’t gain anything from it.

High frequency allows you to myelinate all of the pathways, and you become a fucking boss at squatting. As long as you work up to it reasonably, you will be safe.

Also, even if squatting yielded nothing, I’d still do it. I fucking love squatting.

I find it a little funny that the 2 general complaints against high frequency singles are that it doesn?t offer enough stimulation and that it?s too much to recover from. Those are 2 fairly opposite things.

[quote]joebrandenburg wrote:
Also, even if squatting yielded nothing, I’d still do it. I fucking love squatting.[/quote]

This is what I mean. I can imagine some folks actually take joy in the activity, whereas many other confuse loving the results with loving the methods.