Squat Form

Just some info: I usually squat with a closer stance and dropped down more than i sat back. On monday i sprained my ankle ( wasnt a severe sprain just couldn’t flex it too much, like in an atg squat). So today i just focused on the sitting back and opened up my hips. I also slowed down the descent so i could reduce the bounce at the bottom to prevent my knee from travelling too far forward. It’s my 5+ day on 531 and i only managed 4.

Im actually quite happy considering this is actually a new form.
Just wondering if this form is better and if so what should i work on. After my deadlift days i usually do some paused squat work. My friend told me my quads are weak as fk so im also focusing on it. Here’s the video - YouTube
And just for comparison my previous squat video - YouTube

That looks okay. I do agree with your friend that your quads aren’t very strong. If you do more work for them, I’d suggest to bring up the quad and glute strength together.

What would you recommend bro? After my deadlift lift day i intend to do some front squats. Is there any other assistances that would be great for my issue?

[quote]Wheynelau wrote:
What would you recommend bro? After my deadlift lift day i intend to do some front squats. Is there any other assistances that would be great for my issue?[/quote]

Honestly, I see the hips needing the most work - particularly the abductors and adductors. Reed did mention that you should move your stance out a bit and I still see this being beneficial to strengthen your hips. But I understand that it’s causing you pain so you can probably work around this by doing Bulgarian split squats.

As your adductors/abductors get stronger, keep focusing on opening up your hips while still keeping everything tight. You may be able to open up your stance a tiny bit. Not something you have to try yet. It’ll be worth a try after a few months of consistent Bulgarian split squat work. It may not even be necessary to open up the stance width much if you can open up the hips a bit more with your current stance.

For now, don’t change anything. Just add the Bulgarian split squat work for the next few months and then see where you’re at.

[quote]lift206 wrote:

[quote]Wheynelau wrote:
What would you recommend bro? After my deadlift lift day i intend to do some front squats. Is there any other assistances that would be great for my issue?[/quote]

Honestly, I see the hips needing the most work - particularly the abductors and adductors. Reed did mention that you should move your stance out a bit and I still see this being beneficial to strengthen your hips. But I understand that it’s causing you pain so you can probably work around this by doing Bulgarian split squats.

As your adductors/abductors get stronger, keep focusing on opening up your hips while still keeping everything tight. You may be able to open up your stance a tiny bit. Not something you have to try yet. It’ll be worth a try after a few months of consistent Bulgarian split squat work. It may not even be necessary to open up the stance width much if you can open up the hips a bit more with your current stance.

For now, don’t change anything. Just add the Bulgarian split squat work for the next few months and then see where you’re at.[/quote]

I might have made the mistake of opening up too wide. This stance was actually just slightly wider and it actually felt quite comfortable. Thanks for the tips i will try them out

Should i do sumo deadlifts as an assistance after my squats,if im comfortable?

[quote]Wheynelau wrote:
Should i do sumo deadlifts as an assistance after my squats,if im comfortable?[/quote]

You can if you want. As long as you include one assistance of either wide stance or single leg work somewhere in your training then it’ll cover that weakness. I’m not sure how wide your stance is for sumo so just pick whichever hits the adductors harder while still not irritating your hips.

[quote]lift206 wrote:

[quote]Wheynelau wrote:
Should i do sumo deadlifts as an assistance after my squats,if im comfortable?[/quote]

You can if you want. As long as you include one assistance of either wide stance or single leg work somewhere in your training then it’ll cover that weakness. I’m not sure how wide your stance is for sumo so just pick whichever hits the adductors harder while still not irritating your hips.[/quote]

As of now its just slightly out,close but still inside of the bench rings. And it does feel quite comfortable although i might target the adductors lesser. Will work on opening it as time goes. And I’ll start to spend more time stretching during the day. thank you for the help bro

[quote]Wheynelau wrote:
As of now its just slightly out,close but still inside of the bench rings. And it does feel quite comfortable although i might target the adductors lesser. Will work on opening it as time goes. And I’ll start to spend more time stretching during the day. thank you for the help bro[/quote]

No problem. No need to go excessively wide. Just make sure the adductors are getting enough work.