T Nation

Squat Form

Hello Guys.

I started lifting about 15 months ago on body part split. I then fell into the trap and decided to 'cut' and lost the small amount of muscle I had gained.

I started doing a program call 'fierce 5' 7 months ago. At the start my squats rocketed up, but lately the progression has really slowed. I decided to shift to a low bar squat.

I can't seem to nail the bar position though. I would appreciate if somebody could give me some advice/tips.

I see no obvious glaring issues at all. What makes you feel your form is off? Are you getting pains from squatting?

Doesn’t look too bad man what I will recommend:
when you walk the weight up, get your feet right in as few steps as possible, very short. Keep your head facing forward instead of watching your feet.

Try to get your elbows a little more under the bar, your torso angle and elbow angle are usually the same

Other than that as said before no glaringly obvious things wrong.

EDIT: also you are having trouble with the bar position so you mean transferring to the low bar position? Basically it should be sitting on top of your rear delts and below your traps, it creates a nice shelf. One way I’ve helped myself find this position was by picturing bending the bar across my bar, which also reinforces lat tightness.

[QUOTE]I see no obvious glaring issues at all. What makes you feel your form is off? Are you getting pains from squatting?[/QUOTE]
My main issue is that I feel the bar migrates towards my traps after the first rep.

[QUOTE]Doesn’t look too bad man what I will recommend:
when you walk the weight up, get your feet right in as few steps as possible, very short. Keep your head facing forward instead of watching your feet.

Try to get your elbows a little more under the bar, your torso angle and elbow angle are usually the same

Other than that as said before no glaringly obvious things wrong.

EDIT: also you are having trouble with the bar position so you mean transferring to the low bar position? Basically it should be sitting on top of your rear delts and below your traps, it creates a nice shelf. One way I’ve helped myself find this position was by picturing bending the bar across my bar, which also reinforces lat tightness.[/Quote]
Thanks for the advice. I’ll keep my head up and elbows inline. I’ve looked at some youtube videos. Hopefully it will rest more comfortably.

Looks like you might be squatintg to low. You tuck the butt in the first pic and the second pic shows when the angle is better. You don’t need to squat ass to grass. squat as low as you can go without losing form/

[quote]jtamez17 wrote:
Looks like you might be squatintg to low. You tuck the butt in the first pic and the second pic shows when the angle is better. You don’t need to squat ass to grass. squat as low as you can go without losing form/[/quote]
Yes, sometimes I feel I have to go lower to get a ‘good’ squat. Depth isn’t everything I suppose.