T Nation

Squat Form Review (Video)

Been working hard to get flexible enough to squat to depth with flat back.
Think there is still a small buttwink, is this a problem?
Am i going deep enough?

Your depth is just at parrel so its fine but I would try to get lower another inch or so. I am not sure what butt wink is and don’t really wanna know but I would not worry about it. Only other problem I see for sure is that when you squat down your head is down your looking right at the ground keep your head up and eyes forwards. You don’t have to look at the ceiling but STOP looking at the floor.

One thing I’ve done lately that has helped a lot with the “butt wink” is a real thorough warm up. Cause at the end of the day the inability to keep your arch at the bottom is hamstring tightness. Going through this warm up for each leg is DEFINITELY worth a try.

This article was also very helpful to me.

[quote]radagasdcar wrote:
Cause at the end of the day the inability to keep your arch at the bottom is hamstring tightness. [/quote]

This is actually very rarely the case. Main culprits are 1. tight hip flexors (limit you from fully extending hips) 2. weak erectors (can’t maintain the arch).

There’s really a simple test to see if it is in fact hamstring tightness. Lay on your back and bring your knees up like you’re squatting. Get them up to the parallel squat position and almosmt everyone can do this maintaining a neutral or naturally curved spine.

Thanks for the responses and vid n article recommendation. Warm up including foam rolling really seems to help. I have worked on hamstring flexibility for months believing they were the problem and it didn?t make much difference, it was when I started opening up my hips and adductor?s that I began to see improvement.

As i understand it if your tucking your pelvis under at the bottom of the squat causing actual rounding in the lower back then this is a serious problem, but if u have a small amount of pelvis tuck that causes a back held in extension to become a neutral lower back at the bottom of the squat is this an issue? I will keep working at flexibility but is it ok to carry on adding weight, while I do, with my current form?
Considering im only doing sets of 5x200lb

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]radagasdcar wrote:
Cause at the end of the day the inability to keep your arch at the bottom is hamstring tightness. [/quote]

This is actually very rarely the case. Main culprits are 1. tight hip flexors (limit you from fully extending hips) 2. weak erectors (can’t maintain the arch).

There’s really a simple test to see if it is in fact hamstring tightness. Lay on your back and bring your knees up like you’re squatting. Get them up to the parallel squat position and almosmt everyone can do this maintaining a neutral or naturally curved spine. [/quote]

Thanks for the correction in my thinking. I haven’t thought about the weak erectors but I would bet that’s part of my problem as well. I’m going to figure out what the hip flexors are exactly and where they’re located.

[quote]dannyweed wrote:
Thanks for the responses and vid n article recommendation. Warm up including foam rolling really seems to help. I have worked on hamstring flexibility for months believing they were the problem and it didn?t make much difference, it was when I started opening up my hips and adductor?s that I began to see improvement.

As i understand it if your tucking your pelvis under at the bottom of the squat causing actual rounding in the lower back then this is a serious problem, but if u have a small amount of pelvis tuck that causes a back held in extension to become a neutral lower back at the bottom of the squat is this an issue? I will keep working at flexibility but is it ok to carry on adding weight, while I do, with my current form?
Considering im only doing sets of 5x200lb[/quote]

I’d like to hear someone’s input on this as well. I did 205 for 5 on Monday and reset the weight back to 175 today due to form issues. I really felt some uncomfortable loading of the spine and lower back, it was very odd. My reps really turned in to goodmornings at the end of my 3 sets.