T Nation

Squat Form - Knees Pass My Toes


#1

M y knee pass my toes
also about my back is that correct


#2

You need to push your hips back, like you are sitting on a chair. Try to keep all of the weight on your hips and heels. One way to do this is lift your toes on your light weight, you will be forced to stay on your heels. Initiate the movement with your hips, not your knees.


#3

Also, it’s likely that your knees will always go close to or past your toes to some degree, especially if you are going deeper; just make sure your weight is in your heels and you’re sitting back.


#4

and are your heels raised due to olympic shoes?


#5

I think it looks fine- but:

  1. you can sit back a little more so the weight is centered a little further towards your heels
  2. as you put more weight on, i’d pay attention to keeping the same, good form.

Have fun!


#6

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
Also, it’s likely that your knees will always go close to or past your toes to some degree, especially if you are going deeper; just make sure your weight is in your heels and you’re sitting back.[/quote]

Deeper? I don’t even think he’s breaking parallel because there’s no much forward knee travel. That’s definitely not a powerlifting squat. The emphasis should be on sitting back and pushing the knees out.


#7

There is no rule that your knees can’t go past your toes. Your form looks perfectly safe to me. If you haven’t, you should definitely work on siting back rather than down to see if you can add more weight.


#8

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
There is no rule that your knees can’t go past your toes. Your form looks perfectly safe to me. If you haven’t, you should definitely work on siting back rather than down to see if you can add more weight. [/quote]

Sure, it’s not a rule. It makes sense to follow the technique that the vast majority of elite and pro lifters use though. There’s a reason they use it. Most people shy away from it because initially their numbers will go down. They don’t have enough posterior chain strength to squat sitting back more.

There’s a reason that most people at local meets are totaling under 1500 lbs with the same bad technique. You either keep going with that bad technique and reach your “genetic potential” or you get better technique and become an elite/pro lifter. Most people never change because they can’t handle their lifts initially going down.


#9

[quote]Wild_Iron_Gym wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
There is no rule that your knees can’t go past your toes. Your form looks perfectly safe to me. If you haven’t, you should definitely work on siting back rather than down to see if you can add more weight. [/quote]

Sure, it’s not a rule. It makes sense to follow the technique that the vast majority of elite and pro lifters use though. There’s a reason they use it. Most people shy away from it because initially their numbers will go down. They don’t have enough posterior chain strength to squat sitting back more.

There’s a reason that most people at local meets are totaling under 1500 lbs with the same bad technique. You either keep going with that bad technique and reach your “genetic potential” or you get better technique and become an elite/pro lifter. Most people never change because they can’t handle their lifts initially going down.[/quote]

I disagree to an extent with raw lifters. Not all the elites squat that way. I agree that sitting back is best for most, but it doesn’t mean everyone should.


#10

[quote]Wild_Iron_Gym wrote:

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
Also, it’s likely that your knees will always go close to or past your toes to some degree, especially if you are going deeper; just make sure your weight is in your heels and you’re sitting back.[/quote]

Deeper? I don’t even think he’s breaking parallel because there’s no much forward knee travel. That’s definitely not a powerlifting squat. The emphasis should be on sitting back and pushing the knees out. [/quote]

No, he isn’t breaking parallel at all, but when I drop into an ATG Oly style squat, is when my knees travel the most forward.


#11

OP unless you want knee surgery by the time your 40, you should fix that shit, My form sucks, but thats scary!

Sit back and push the knees out.


#12


This one doesn’t seem AS bad, I guess I wouldn’t want my knees going that forward.


#13

[quote]brauny96 wrote:
OP unless you want knee surgery by the time your 40, you should fix that shit, My form sucks, but thats scary!

Sit back and push the knees out.[/quote]

… I disagree.

His form is no worse on his knees that sitting back is on your hips. Certainly front squats for most lead to greater knee movement than what he has. Do fronts squats destroy knees? Should people not do them?


#14

There’s a reason olympic lifters peak young, and you don’t see many that are over 30. Meanwhile there are a lot of top powerlifters that are in their 30’s and 40’s. Your hip joint is much bigger than your knee. It’s going to be able to handle more stress.

Even that Russian guy doesn’t have that much forward knee travel. I’d be willing to bet he used to do olympic lifting. His knee travel is still probably less than half of what’s in the original video.


#15

Box squats and milk! LOL

Seriously though, the majority of everyone’s advice is right on. Focus on sitting back instead of down. I see some hip action in the beginning of the descent but then your knees takeover and you sit down instead of pushing your hips back.

Box squats are a good way to correct this. Or if you don’t mind using less weight, choose one day of the week to work on technique alone. If you’re skeptical with form, you really wanna get that taken care of.

When in doubt, box squat!


#16

Your rising up on your toes near the bottom of the squat. Work on your ankle flexibility and stay on your heels when you squat.

Everything else looks fine imo!!!


#17

[quote]Wild_Iron_Gym wrote:
There’s a reason olympic lifters peak young, and you don’t see many that are over 30. Meanwhile there are a lot of top powerlifters that are in their 30’s and 40’s. Your hip joint is much bigger than your knee. It’s going to be able to handle more stress.

Even that Russian guy doesn’t have that much forward knee travel. I’d be willing to bet he used to do olympic lifting. His knee travel is still probably less than half of what’s in the original video.[/quote]

The reason weightlifters peak young is because 1) it’s a fast sport, not because it has a high rate of attrition due to injury, and 2) because it’s a very technical sport that requires a lot of frequency to maintain motor patterns, and older lifters require more recovery time. Knee injuries are actually not common - back, shoulder and elbows are the common injury sites.


#18

His knees coming forward is a function of technique, lever length, and stance. He gets out on his toes a little on some reps and that leads to drift. However, long legs and close stance- particularly with a lowwer bar position tend to equate to forward drift. This dude’s femur are pretty long.


#19

I have the understanding that PL style squatting is to get the largest range of hip motion and the smaller range of knee motion, for more pop from a suit.

in this case, bringing your stance out wide enough that you just hit parallel, and your shins stay as perpendicular as possible.

This seems to give me the most bang for buck in terms of lift economy, and more carryover to deadlift, but requires much more hip maintenance such as flexibility and soft tissue quality.

Once I hit about a 440 back squat with olympic stance knee wraps and belt, I brought my stance out to accommodate single ply lifting, and now have around a 550 single ply squat.


#20

I would say the OP has too much forward knee travel simply because his hips don’t go back at all and he’s on his toes in the hole instead of having the weight balanced on his foot. In some cases for raw squatters I think a small amount of forward knee travel is OK, but this is clearly excessive.

Besides, the way he is dumping everything forward, he probably isn’t engaging his hamstrings or glutes nearly as much as he could. If he improved his technique a bit by getting a little wider, pushing his knees out, and sitting back (which may still allow a very small amount of forward knee travel) he could get more muscle groups involved and lead to a bigger SQ long-term. I also have very long femurs in relation to my torso, but my optimal raw SQ technique only involves a tiny amount of forward knee travel.