T Nation

Squat Form Help

pls help me about my form, is it good ,bad
what i should fix in it if it is bad

bump

Not bad for a beginning.

Guess you could go lower, but later on this one.

1. Sit back while squatting : Your knees and hips bend at the same time, pushing your knees forward.
    Bend at the hips first, bringing your butt back (as if sitting down), then bend at the knees.

2. Keep your weight on the heels, yours is (seems) all over the foot. To begin with, I’d advise this. When you’re more advanced, you can elevate your heels with plates to focus your quads more. LATER ON, NOT NOW!

3. Do bodyweight squats for mobility, trying to keep going lower. Your range of motion is good, you stop when you lower back begins to round. Keep doing BW Squats for mobility, you’ll get there with time.

4. Pull your elbows back when squating down : this provides some stable surface to lay the barbell on, and keeps the shoulder blades locked in lower/retracted position. Watch again your video, your upper back begins to round at the end of the set and your elbows go under the bar.

5. Last but not least : DO FRONT SQUATS! Learn those too, they’re the alternative you NEED to do when changing exercises.

And, oh yeah, change your stance too sometimes, keep your toes pointed more forward.

That’s all for me. It’s a rather good squat to begin with, keep up the good work.

Cheers!

Not bad for a beginning.

Guess you could go lower, but later on this one.

1. Sit back while squatting : Your knees and hips bend at the same time, pushing your knees forward.
    Bend at the hips first, bringing your butt back (as if sitting down), then bend at the knees.

2. Keep your weight on the heels, yours is (seems) all over the foot. To begin with, I’d advise this. When you’re more advanced, you can elevate your heels with plates to focus your quads more. LATER ON, NOT NOW!

3. Do bodyweight squats for mobility, trying to keep going lower. Your range of motion is good, you stop when you lower back begins to round. Keep doing BW Squats for mobility, you’ll get there with time.

4. Pull your elbows back when squating down : this provides some stable surface to lay the barbell on, and keeps the shoulder blades locked in lower/retracted position. Watch again your video, your upper back begins to round at the end of the set and your elbows go under the bar.

5. Last but not least : DO FRONT SQUATS! Learn those too, they’re the alternative you NEED to do when changing exercises.

And, oh yeah, change your stance too sometimes, keep your toes pointed more forward.

That’s all for me. It’s a rather good squat to begin with, keep up the good work.

Cheers!

I second the above on front squatting. You pretty much have to use the right form- sit between your legs and hold your arch- or you lose the weight. …You’re losing the weight now btw.
Your upper body is wicked floppy and you lose your arch which allows your back to round and your tail to tuck under.
You need to hold that arch TIGHT. What do you think will happen when you have some real weight on your back and you start to round like that ?Also pull your elbows in tight and retract your shoulder blades, make it tight !..load up alot more weight and stand under you’ll get a feel for how much tighter you need to be.You get away with it now, but heavier weight will fold you up when you get in the hole and once you lose that arch it’s all over. With that in mind don’t squat any deeper than you can hold your arch …getting deeper is done by sitting between your legs more not by rounding your back.

watch the first 10 min of this Dan John vid and do his"big chest buddah belly" thing and you’ll get a great idea of what good squatting is:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6529481301858251744#

It’s really not any harder that that.

Thx a lot u helped me
but also i think my knee passed my toes
how to avoid that
also when i concentrate to put the weight on my heels, i feel loosing balance

Thanks for that video Swivel, it helped my squat more than anything I’ve read or studied the past six months. Just wow, I have an injured hip flexor and can’t even squat with my bodyweight on the barbell right now but that just took away all the pain in the entire movement. I don’t even notice the injury so my hat is off to you sir.

[quote]essawi wrote:
Thx a lot u helped me
but also i think my knee passed my toes
how to avoid that
also when i concentrate to put the weight on my heels, i feel loosing balance[/quote]

Dude it will take some time, yes your knee will likely pass if the weight gets forward…
You’re just too tight in your hips/hams/calves and it throws you off …
Work on doing Dan john’s “big chest buddah belly” it will loosen you up.

Also take the advice above and do front squats or goblet squats which will pretty much require you to use good form or you dump the weight forward. Given your flexibility they probably won’t feel right at first but struggle w/ it for a week or two and you’ll loosen up.

At the weight you’re using there’s no need to back squat anyway. Just do the front you’ll get much more out of it.
Overhead squats will also loosen your hips up and make you squat properly.

[quote]Woundedbyravens wrote:
Thanks for that video Swivel, it helped my squat more than anything I’ve read or studied the past six months. Just wow,…[/quote]

Glad it helped… Dan John = Yoda !