Squat Form Critique

Hey guys and criticism would be helpful! This is 315 x 3…I ran smolov and managed to put up 365, no video as of yet. Thanks for your help!

I

C
A
N
T

T
Y
P
E

S
I
D
E
W
A
Y
S
!

[quote]tattoo’d’popeye wrote:
I

C
A
N
T

T
Y
P
E

S
I
D
E
W
A
Y
S
![/quote]

Hope this is better. - YouTube

Pretty good squat overall. The weight doesn’t look hard for you at all, you have very good control over it. My biggest criticism is that your "down"and your “up” look very disconnected. You move down moderately fast and control the weight well, but then you stop yourself right around parallel, and throw it into reverse, moving the weight up pretty fast as well. But that transition is just a little awkward.

I think you might benefit from letting yourself sink just a little bit lower at the bottom, and working to catch a stretch reflex. If you could move with the same speed down, but smooth the transition at the bottom so that you sink low and rebound out of the bottom, I think you would save a lot of energy and move that weight even easier. It looks like actively “stopping” yourself the way you are is costing you more than it would to simply sink a little deeper and then shoot out of the hole.

Also, I think keeping your chest up a little more might help you a little bit. It might be tough to do with your bar position as low as it is, you might play with moving the bar a little bit higher, but that’s a personal preference thing I suppose. Either way, squat looks solid and I think working on that stretch reflex will make it even better.

Watch the way Mike T squats at the start of this video. He has a low bar position too, you have a similar squat style. But watch how, at the bottom, he doesn’t stop himself at parallel. You can see how he smoothly rebounds out of the bottom, so that the down and the up flow together and he gets a lot of momentum out of the hole.

First off, Mike T is just a bad ass squatter both in poundages and technically.

N.K. said pretty much everything. I didnt notice you take any deep breaths but I may just not have been able to tell from the vid. I did like the tight back though! I think your good for more weight as well.