Squat Form Critique

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4919278076999364233

What does everyone think of this guys squat form?

where are the all the “squat critics” from the girls lifting session thread.

The guy is a legend.

Lol the music is awesome, like Tetris wih trance. What’s the band, I’d check their MySpace.

[quote]Heliotrope wrote:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4919278076999364233

What does everyone think of this guys squat form?[/quote]

Badass is what I think of it!

“No Wraps - No Belt - No Spotters”

That fucker made it look easy.

I noticed he does the whole tail under thing.

Yup he is going “tail under” to a neutral spine.

Jesus Christ!! Now that is ATG!! I use parallel as my judge, anytghing under parallel is fine by me… But shit, he really looked like his lower leg was fixed perpendicular to the floor and just… “sat”!

I am going to reduce my squat weights with that, and increase the ROM (did you see his quads??)

JB

[quote]DanErickson wrote:
I noticed he does the whole tail under thing. [/quote]

Whassat then?

Joe

[quote]Joe Joseph wrote:
DanErickson wrote:
I noticed he does the whole tail under thing.

Whassat then?

Joe[/quote]

His lower back is rounding just a little bit at rock-bottom, then straightening back out as he comes out of the hole.

Still badass though.

form isnt the best but thats alot of weight, for a small fella

@kaeosali:

Hmm, the quality of the video is shitty and the angle does not help. Hard to tell, how much his spine looses its natural arch at the bottom position.

However, that you still do not accept that you should keep your girls from rounding their back in the squat and DL is beyond me.

[quote]kaeosali wrote:
Yup he is going “tail under” to a neutral spine.[/quote]

Let it go, man. This is a trained athlete that has presumably been squatting for years and knows his bodies limits. Furthermore, as an athlete, his risk to reward ratio is a lot higher. In other words, he is much more willing to risk injury in the name of strenght than a casual trainer should be.

You have gotten some females in the gym, and gotten them to see results. Good job. Now you need to recognize that some of them are using horrible form and could easily hurt themselves. Suck it up, be a man, admit that you are acting like a douche, and go teach those girls proper form before one does get hurt.

[quote]chris666 wrote:
@kaeosali:

Hmm, the quality of the video is shitty and the angle does not help. Hard to tell, how much his spine looses its natural arch at the bottom position.

However, that you still do not accept that you should keep your girls from rounding their back in the squat and DL is beyond me.[/quote]

The guy won an olympic gold medal. Do you really need to critique him?

The form the girls use is acceptable. The squats are more of an olympic style then a powerlifting style that you may be used to. The deadlifts we teach “thoracic rounding” which you may be confusing as lumbar flexion. Remember you are still watching from video we are watching in person. As a trainer you need to draw the line between form and work. Some draw it way to the right some draw it way to the left, I feel we draw it some where in the middle. We terminate plenty of sets here.

[quote]kaeosali wrote:
The deadlifts we teach “thoracic rounding” which you may be confusing as lumbar flexion.[/quote]

I hope you’re not serious. There is some definite lumbar flexion going on there. With the extremely low hip starting position followed by the hips raising and weight not budging, I question that you know what a good DL is supposed to look like. Most of your clients deadlifting problems would be fixed, or at least greatly reduced, simply by starting them with their hips higher and getting their shoulders back. Letting the hips rise like they are leads to the shoulders coming forward and the back rounding, as you can see on your videos.

[quote]tedro wrote:
Letting the hips rise like they are leads to the shoulders coming forward and the back rounding, as you can see on your videos.[/quote]

uhh I’m pretty sure you just described “thoracic rounding”

[quote]kaeosali wrote:
tedro wrote:
Letting the hips rise like they are leads to the shoulders coming forward and the back rounding, as you can see on your videos.

uhh I’m pretty sure you just described “thoracic rounding”
[/quote]

Have you watched your own videos? Do you know the difference between the thoracic region and the lumbar region?

the purple

[quote]kaeosali wrote:
chris666 wrote:
@kaeosali:

However, that you still do not accept that you should keep your girls from rounding their back in the squat and DL is beyond me.

The guy won an olympic gold medal. Do you really need to critique him?
[/quote]

I do not critique Chakarov (I guess this obvious). I just cannot see that he rounds his lower back as you imply.

Can you name a single renowned strength coach that says rounding your lower back in the squat or DL is acceptable form?

[quote]
The deadlifts we teach “thoracic rounding” which you may be confusing as lumbar flexion. Remember you are still watching from video we are watching in person. As a trainer you need to draw the line between form and work. Some draw it way to the right some draw it way to the left, I feel we draw it some where in the middle. We terminate plenty of sets here.[/quote]

Why on earth would you teach your average female clients thoracic rounding? Do they want to impress their friends with their DL numbers? Besides, I also do not see thoracic rounding but lumbar rounding in the girls’ DLs. In your DL I do.

Why would you draw the line in the middle for your average female clients? They want to be healthy. They want to look good. Both can be achieved by drawing the line far, far on the safety side.