T Nation

Squat Form Check

I have quite a few structural issues that affect how well I can squat (pronated feet, one leg slightly shorter than the other, and scoliosis). As a results, I have really struggled squatting at a decent depth. In the attached video, I believe my depth is ok (please correct if I am wrong), but I'd like your collective opinion as to whether or not there is anything unsafe about my form. I don't believe I see any buttwink, but I could be wrong. Do I lean forward too much - I am trying, as best as possible, to remain upright (olympic style). Any tips for improving form would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Looks fine to me. It looks like you’re bracing your abs and opening up your hips enough for that depth. I can’t tell how tight you really are until the weight gets heavier. Your forward lean seems fine too. Prioritize bracing your abs even if it means leaning forward slightly compared to straight up and only extending your erectors. That means bracing while unracking, while standing up and throughout the entire rep/set. It’ll provide more stability in your spine which can help with performance and safety. In terms of safety, all you can do is what you can to provide as much stability as possible to reduce chances of injury but you can never completely eliminate it.

Can’t see the video, but lift206 is generally on the money in these matters so I’m going to say you’d do well to follow that advice.

Thanks - I think the point about ab bracing is spot on. I get too caught up in other cues, like positioning and motion. I don’t think I squeeze my abs enough from start to finish. Will make this the #1 priority next time I squat during working sets with heavier weight.

[quote]MarcF wrote:
Thanks - I think the point about ab bracing is spot on. I get too caught up in other cues, like positioning and motion. I don’t think I squeeze my abs enough from start to finish. Will make this the #1 priority next time I squat during working sets with heavier weight. [/quote]

Yeah that should be your number one cue for now just to make it a habit. Even when breathing after my walkout, my abs are still braced. It may not be as tight as while holding my breath but still tight enough not to lose positioning.

Elbow position is very good and your entire back stays in relatively good position–however you lost tension in your upper back during the second rep.

I also recommend getting more stable after you unrack and prepare to descend. Lock your knees and maintain a packed head position (drive upper back into the bar and keep it there).

Thanks - really appreciate all these tips. Common thread is tightness, either through abs or upper back. I tried some real sets today with lift206’s suggestion to really brace abs, and it made a big difference. Although the weight is still quite a bit less than before I switched to trying to go below parallel, I felt way more confident in the hole, and almost touched my butt on my ankles (deeper than in the video). Will add your suggestion about the upper back and head later this week. Cheers!