Squat Form Check

Hi everyone,

I’m noob in the musculation and I just managed to hit 5 reps at 100 kg on squat.

However, I don’t want to let the ego take place and think I can handle this weight while I can’t so I would really appreciate some critics on my form squat.

I think the depth is ok but I really want to be sure cause if it’s not I will lower the weight to make sure I use perfect form.

Here is the link (sry for bad quality of the video) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRE9L7Ip6Vg&list=UUs2DWVdS4hyz-RIwwhSr39g

Thanks in advance for the guys who will take the time to give me their insight on that :slight_smile:

Unless you’re a powerlifter, then go all the way down, atg

[quote]bjj and w8lift wrote:
Unless you’re a powerlifter, then go all the way down, atg[/quote]

Why?

[quote]bjj and w8lift wrote:
Unless you’re a powerlifter, then go all the way down, atg[/quote]

Shittiest general advice I have heard in along time. Glad to have you here.

[quote]azkean wrote:
Hi everyone,

I’m noob in the musculation and I just managed to hit 5 reps at 100 kg on squat.

However, I don’t want to let the ego take place and think I can handle this weight while I can’t so I would really appreciate some critics on my form squat.

I think the depth is ok but I really want to be sure cause if it’s not I will lower the weight to make sure I use perfect form.

Here is the link (sry for bad quality of the video) : - YouTube

Thanks in advance for the guys who will take the time to give me their insight on that :)[/quote]

Are you asking depth for power lifting or just in general for you?

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]azkean wrote:

Are you asking depth for power lifting or just in general for you?[/quote]

I do not compete in any way so I guess in general, I just read some articles that said you must not let the ego take place and make sure to get proper form and depth.

I wanted to know if my depth was ok and sufficient to work my leg enough or if I need to go below.

Apparently some of the commentator says that I should go ATG so I don’t know if it is ok to do both cause actually I try to work 2 days “heavy” like in the video linked working on 5x5 and one day lighter where I go 5x10 and I usually go below that point but I don’t think I go ATG.

If you have aspirations to compete in power lifting then depth is described as the hip crease meeting or just breaking the top of the knee depending on the federation. Squatting ATG is perfectly fine IF and only IF you can do it with out injury or putting excessive pressure on certain points. Many people can not do it. Also if you have any past injuries that limit range of motion then you should not force a range of motion. That is why the comment left above is of pure ignorance.

[quote]azkean wrote:
I wanted to know if my depth was ok and sufficient to work my leg enough or if I need to go below.

Apparently some of the commentator says that I should go ATG so I don’t know if it is ok to do both cause actually I try to work 2 days “heavy” like in the video linked working on 5x5 and one day lighter where I go 5x10 and I usually go below that point but I don’t think I go ATG.
[/quote]

You can work your legs well with what you’re doing. If you find weaknesses in the future, you can address those then via form changes or additional movements.

More important is being consistent with the range of motion you’re using. You don’t want to start cutting depth as the weight goes up.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Squatting ATG is perfectly fine IF and only IF you can do it with out injury or putting excessive pressure on certain points. [/quote]

This needs repeating.

When a lower back injury happens as a result of something like this, it is cumulative. And it comes with a whimper, not a bang!. Which means one day you may leave the gym with some extra lower back soreness after grinding out a maximal set, and several hours later you end up on the floor in such severe pain you can’t even turn yourself around to crawl to the phone to call for an ambulance.

You fuck something like your lower back up like that, it is fucked for a LIFETIME.

This does not mean do not squat ATG. There are people who thrive on it, there are people who can’t.

It looks to me like you are doing more things right than wrong.

Depth is good. As long as you are at or past parallel you are all good, and all of your squats in these videos appeared to hit depth. No need to specifically work on getting any deeper if these squats felt good to you. Nice work.

I also think you do not give yourself enough credit, although I commend you for keeping a humble attitude. You owned the weight in your second video with the pauses in the hole. Pretty good work for someone who is a “noob in the musculation”.

My criticisms are all fairly general and would apply to almost anyone looking to become a better squatter.

Keep working on getting your whole body tighter, keep working on staying tight throughout your set, keep adding weight to the bar and listen to your body while you are doing all of this. Don’t look around at other people, either. Focus like a motherfucker and worry about moving the weight.

On getting/staying tight…

Reed’s linked this video to me in a form check thread of my own, and I have been working on applying these principles to my own squat. It is well worth the watch.

Keep it up!

Thanks for all the answer, since the depth seems fine for you I will continue work on that way when I work “heavy” and I will go for a little bit lower when I work lighter and there is less risks for lower back.

Again thanks to all of you to take the time to help me :slight_smile:

I agree with pretty much everything Reed and twojarslave said. I’d add only that I think you could work on getting tighter overall and specifically your back tighter on the set up before you unrack the bar. Get set; get tight by squeezing your lats and upper back together and squeeze the bar; take a deep breath and hold and then unrack. I personally think you want to be in the best position you can be in before the bar gets loaded with weight.