T Nation

Squat Form Check

Alright, I’ve been squatting high bar for awhile now and wanted to get some opinions on it.

facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10201178682096387

facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10201108212774698

For the first video, I’m pretty sure i am a bit high
On the second, ignore my attempt to destroy the rack

shoot, i just realized that the videos didn’t embed. does copy and paste work for you guys or can someone tell me how to embed them? I’m kinda computer illiterate on this

It’s easy if you have the video on your computer. When you make your next post, make sure you click “advanced.” It will take you to a screen where you can write whatever you want, but there will also be a section below called, “Attach video.” Click the browse button beside it, find the video on the computer, click open, and then submit. I’ve never tried linking directly from a website, so I can’t help you there.

Yea, unfortunately I don’t have any idea how to get the videos on my computer…my phones has an automatic thing to facebook, only way I know to make it work. I’ll work on it

[quote]BigDawg6593 wrote:
Yea, unfortunately I don’t have any idea how to get the videos on my computer…my phones has an automatic thing to facebook, only way I know to make it work. I’ll work on it
[/quote]

If it has an upload to Facebook feature, it might have an upload to YouTube feature as well? Should make it easier to embed, especially because you can download straight from YouTube.

I just copy pasted the links, so I could take a look.

They look really good. I don;t know if the first one was high, hard to tell at that angle. But both videos look pretty solid.

Two points: one, your hips do rise a little faster than your chest. In the first video I thought it was just cause the weight was really heavy, but I saw it in the second video too. So just be aware of that, and maybe play around with things like arching into the bar a little more on the way up, trying to sit down a little more into the hole, maybe raising your bar position just a tiny bit so you can stay more upright, etc. But in the end, that’s sort of a stylistic choice and it’s up to you.

Secondly, and this especially applies if you ever want to compete - get in the habit of holding the weight at the top of the rep before racking it. In both videos, you finish the rep and as soon as its locked out you are rushing it back into the rack. In competition, if you rush the rack command you’re not gonna get the lift. That’s how ray williams lost a 905lb squat haha, so depressing.

Anyways, overall it looks pretty good to me.

There is nothing high there. If it’s possible to be too deep, you may be. There is no way on God’s green earth you donâ??t get 3 whites on that! What was the weight and what’s your weight class?

I think the first was 585, second maybe 545? I’m not positive, had to use some older videos, I hurt my back at work and am kinda working my way back. My weight class is 275 (I’m walking around between 270-279 right now) but I’m just trying to lose weight in general now. I’ll keep that in mind on arching into the bar. Like I said, high bar is pretty strange to me, so I’m trying to hit it right and work on form, I’m shocked how quickly the numbers climbed back to my low bar levels.

[quote]BigDawg6593 wrote:
I think the first was 585, second maybe 545? I’m not positive, had to use some older videos, I hurt my back at work and am kinda working my way back. My weight class is 275 (I’m walking around between 270-279 right now) but I’m just trying to lose weight in general now. I’ll keep that in mind on arching into the bar. Like I said, high bar is pretty strange to me, so I’m trying to hit it right and work on form, I’m shocked how quickly the numbers climbed back to my low bar levels.[/quote]

Hay, I did revisit your video. Can I give you a suggestion? It looks like you shorted yourself on your raps. That additional 9" would be better served around your tree trunk legs.

Regarding the high bar and your back injury, for me that would be a no-no. I held heavy weight high and low and that high position gets the hams and back a lot more. But then you didnt get where your at by not listening to your body.

Shoulder issues and bar slipping lead to the switch to highbar. I tried to do low bar the other day and it felt very unnatural, i would have to have more time to dedicate to training to get back to low bar squating right now. For the wraps, yea, i got lazy haha.