Squat Form Check

Hey everyone. Competing in my first powerlifting meet June 1st.
Any tips or suggestions are welcome! :slight_smile:

Are those running shoes? Take them off if so. Be sure to push your knees out. Otherwise it looks very good!

Yes, they are…I didn’t wear my flat shoes at the gym today but I definitely will wear flats next squat session. Thanks for the tip!! :slight_smile:

Looks good! only advice I have for you is to try and work on smoothing the transition from down into up. Right now you are pulling into the bottom and virtually coming to a stop, like a split second pause, before you reverse it. I think you would be a lot faster out of the hole if you could just work on removing that split second pause and doing a better job utilizing your stretch reflex out of the bottom. If you can just be smooth into the bottom and really spring out of the hole, I think you have a lot more weight in you.

That being said, maybe your style works best for you. Still, I would try and get a little more out of the stretch reflex - at least play around with it, and see if you like it. Good luck in your meet.

Since you’re doing a meet, don’t forget to practice walking the weight out and standing with your knees locked for a few seconds before your descent and after your squat since you will be required to do this while waiting for the commands on the platform.

I agree with NK about your pause in the hole. Although your depth looks fine to me, there’s no benefit pausing in the hole and giving the refs plenty of time to analyze your depth. Also, pausing doesn’t allow you to take advantage of any rebound or stretch effect. After your meet, you might want to play with your stance to find where you can maximize your rebound.

Good luck to you!

Thank you both so much for the tips. I really appreciate it :slight_smile:

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
Since you’re doing a meet, don’t forget to practice walking the weight out and standing with your knees locked for a few seconds before your descent and after your squat since you will be required to do this while waiting for the commands on the platform.

I agree with NK about your pause in the hole. Although your depth looks fine to me, there’s no benefit pausing in the hole and giving the refs plenty of time to analyze your depth. Also, pausing doesn’t allow you to take advantage of any rebound or stretch effect. After your meet, you might want to play with your stance to find where you can maximize your rebound.

Good luck to you![/quote]

Right on the mark. I would only add the pause before the rack.