T Nation

Squat Form Check

Been squatting 3ish plates for a while and had a video of myself doing 315 for 3.

Here’s 315x3

here’s the video I shot today, just checking for with 135lbx5

it’s a video and it has a different angle so I can’t really tell, but from it I feel like I fixed a few problems in the form.

Thing is, video was shot with 135 lbs on my back, not 315… Should I do something in assistance or something? Should I just do BBB in my 5/3/1 program with squats so I can master the movement better? Sucks to drop 315lb workset down to 235… I’m scared I only ‘‘fixed it’’ cause it was only 135lb, I’m worried my old habbits will come back when I go back to higher weights.

For example, From the Elitefts video he said to arch my lower back ‘‘comes about naturally when popping chest out and keep head high’’… Yet I feel I had to re position my back every rep on every other set before going back down because my back would be coming back straight again…

Inputs?

You don’t look to bad, but for the love of god stop letting go of the bar!! Grip it tight for the whole set.

[quote]vali wrote:
You don’t look to bad, but for the love of god stop letting go of the bar!! Grip it tight for the whole set.[/quote]

Is it that big of a deal? srs

[quote]BruteWithGlutes wrote:

[quote]vali wrote:
You don’t look to bad, but for the love of god stop letting go of the bar!! Grip it tight for the whole set.[/quote]

Is it that big of a deal? srs[/quote]

I find gripping it really hard helps keep tightness everywhere better.

Got another video of me shot today trying the same form at 225 and I got to get a closer look to my butt wink problem, I did 3 reps and that’s how I end my bottom portion of the squat

Is this what they call the butt wink? I’m pretty sure this is seen as bad form… but I can’t tell how to fix it? Am I not making my back arched enough? I.E not putting my chest out well enough? I really want to fix it while I deloaded my weight so it doesn’t give me problems when I ramp back up to the bigger weights

Bump

LOL nice close-up of buttwink.

My spotter usually would be on the other side of the rack but it was really crowded, didn’t feel like douching up and having her film me while squatting infront of 40 other people so she went on the other side which is a well 2 feet away from the rack. Besides, I don’t need to see the whole gym when the subject is pointing out a flaw in my form.

Your post helped me none.

My spotter usually would be on the other side of the rack but it was really crowded, didn’t feel like douching up and having her film me while squatting infront of 40 other people so she went on the other side which is a well 2 feet away from the rack. Besides, I don’t need to see the whole gym when the subject is pointing out a flaw in my form.

Your post helped me none.[/quote]

Pipe down will ya!? Anyway, what helped me is doing goblet squats everyday at home, just enough to get some blood flowing and groove the pattern. Also, OH squats with just the bar and front squats for assistance helped me. Also, as a form que, I think of trying to point my tail bone up and back why squeezing my glutes and abs really hard.

Also, work on your hip mobility. Try out Defrancos agile 8 before every workout and on off days too.

What’s with squatting in boots one day then red shoes the next time then black the next?
Pick a pair and stick with them.

Squat form looks fine in the first vid. You go pretty deep which is nice. Try to stay a bit tighter (tense more supporting muscles like abs, lats, forearms, etc.). Having a butt-wink isn’t such a big deal. Don’t sweat it. If you want to improve on it, you need to do lower body mobility work as pointed out by others.

Basically just keep doing what you do.

take those friggin shoes off and I bet you will easily do 375lbs for 3. or get some better shoes. combat boots are the worst. are you branch warren?

[quote]chuckdiesel34 wrote:
take those friggin shoes off and I bet you will easily do 375lbs for 3. or get some better shoes. combat boots are the worst. are you branch warren?[/quote]

Idk what combat boots are these a steel toes commonly called work boots and has the most rigid sole out of all the shoes I currently have, I don’t see what’s wrong with squatting in those, feels stable and comfortable.

Besides, the thread is about my form, not the numbers nor the shoes I decided to workout in.

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:
Squat form looks fine in the first vid. You go pretty deep which is nice. Try to stay a bit tighter (tense more supporting muscles like abs, lats, forearms, etc.). Having a butt-wink isn’t such a big deal. Don’t sweat it. If you want to improve on it, you need to do lower body mobility work as pointed out by others.

Basically just keep doing what you do.[/quote]

Thanks for being to most accurate in the answer and not going off on some other topics.

I though having a tail bone pointing down or having the ‘‘butt wink’’ in the bottom part of the motion meant much more pressure on the lower back which could be a problem in the future with heavier weights. Glad to hear it’s not the case.

I guess I’ll do more assistance and try to work on mobility as mentioned by others and keep working on it without being too worried

[quote]chuckdiesel34 wrote:
take those friggin shoes off and I bet you will easily do 375lbs for 3. or get some better shoes. combat boots are the worst. are you branch warren?[/quote]

Idk what combat boots are these a steel toes commonly called work boots and has the most rigid sole out of all the shoes I currently have, I don’t see what’s wrong with squatting in those, feels stable and comfortable.

Besides, the thread is about my form, not the numbers nor the shoes I decided to workout in.[/quote]

How can you say it is not about the shoes? Your form is different depending on the kind of shoe you wear. I could honestly not care less what kind they are. I’m just saying if you want to get better form stick to one kind when you squat(work boots or shoes)