Squat Form Check

Here’s the deal… I had a bit of a struggle to squat 265 lbs the other day. Here’s a video:

And then I walk into the gym today (only a few days later) and 285 lbs is EASY. See video:

The only difference, besides my form, is that I wore Rehbands for the 285 squat. I’m pretty sure this wouldn’t add 20 lbs to my squat, but correct me if I’m wrong.

My question is: What was I doing right on the 2nd lift to make it so easy? What was I doing wrong the 1st time? Any advice on my squat form in general?

Thanks.

Looks good to me, but Im no expert.

Looks a little heavy for you… but I suppose you were going for your 1 rep max?

tweet

You pushed your knees out more, and seemed to have your back tighter with the elbow placement more in the second one. If you want a critique I would say to work on your posterior chain some, your knees are caving which I’m sure hurts incredibly and makes the lift more difficult. Your bar placement also seems a tiny bit lower on your second video (yes, it is nitpicking and likely didn’t do much). Also, yes knee wraps and other supportive gear on the joints will allow your muscles to be less inhibited for safety reasons. You can’t shoot a cannon out of a row boat can you? The same principle works for your muscles.

Theres a bunch of different muscles, not even in your legs, that if they are fatigued or not 100% , the weight is going to feel heavier for you. This is fairly plain.

Or if for some reason you are temporarily tight/inflexible in a specific area, your not going to be moving the same weight as easily.

I have experienced this quite a few times especially with squats , due to fatigue or different things my 5rm on squats has gone up and down by at least 30lbs

[quote]Field wrote:
I have experienced this quite a few times especially with squats , due to fatigue or different things my 5rm on squats has gone up and down by at least 30lbs[/quote]

x2

For me, it was normally my sleep or lack thereof that had the biggest effect.

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:

[quote]Field wrote:
I have experienced this quite a few times especially with squats , due to fatigue or different things my 5rm on squats has gone up and down by at least 30lbs[/quote]

x2

For me, it was normally my sleep or lack thereof that had the biggest effect.[/quote]

x3

Or not eating enough in the hrs before going to the gym.