Squat Form Check

Hi all,

Just need a quick form check (low bar) and any pointers if possible… It’s 115kg, should be my 5RM.

Thanks!

Low bar? That looked regular - high bar to me, and you were wearing oly shoes.

Form was ok, perhaps arch your back more. however, your elbows are winging back. this keep s your chest down and will pin you in the hole when you go heavier.

Focus on pointing them straight down towards the floor, keep your chest up and dont wrap your thumbs around the bar.
A trick for getting past a sticking point is to pull the bar down, which tightens up your upper back and helps you power up

[quote]caveman101 wrote:

Form was ok, perhaps arch your back more. however, your elbows are winging back. this keep s your chest down and will pin you in the hole when you go heavier.

Focus on pointing them straight down towards the floor, keep your chest up and dont wrap your thumbs around the bar.
A trick for getting past a sticking point is to pull the bar down, which tightens up your upper back and helps you power up[/quote]

Much appreciated, thank you very much!
Would those be for low bar or high bar? And I am preeeetty sure I’m low bar squatting (bar is on the rear deltoid instead of traps)…
Thanks again!

[quote]caveman101 wrote:

A trick for getting past a sticking point is to pull the bar down, which tightens up your upper back and helps you power up[/quote]

That’s a really interesting que that I haven’t heard of before, pulling the bar down. I’ll have to remember that.

Sorry for hijacking.

Op, if I may add one little advice, is that you need to look up. In some occasions you felt the need to look down. Try and focus on something above eye level in static position, then as you descend, keep focus on the spot. It will aid not falling forwards a bit.

But one good thing that most people forget but you did was to push your knees outwards when you are trying to push up. This will allow a straighter and easier ascend.

Do take caveman101’s advice because it was spot on.

[quote]CardioWhat wrote:
Op, if I may add one little advice, is that you need to look up. In some occasions you felt the need to look down. Try and focus on something above eye level in static position, then as you descend, keep focus on the spot. It will aid not falling forwards a bit.

But one good thing that most people forget but you did was to push your knees outwards when you are trying to push up. This will allow a straighter and easier ascend.

Do take caveman101’s advice because it was spot on.[/quote]

Sounds good, thanks!

damn straight it was

the ‘pulling the bar down’ thing is really weird, it’s like you reverse gravitys polarity

I’ve heard it works because it activates the stress response in your lower back/quads.

stretch reflex, not stress response. stupid mistake

Hey so I took the information I recieved and here’s my new squat… 122.5kg now! But only for 4 because the 4th was a major grind and I didn’t want to try 5 cause it would have been real nasty.

Sorry bout the long video…

Oops video didn’t post…

Why flare your elbows back so far… Just a side note if your trying to do a low bar squat try squating in a flat soled shoe not Oly shoes. I love my Oly shoes but low bar squatting in them is horible in my opinion chuck taylors, wrestling shoes, or bare foot for low bar IMO.

I’m with Reed on the elbows, if you try to bring them forward more it’ll also help keep your back more tight and stable, which in the most recent video looked like something that might need some attention. Just look at your back on your 4th rep in the vid. Note how it feels when you lift too.

Otherwise good progress

[quote]Andrewdwatters1 wrote:
I’m with Reed on the elbows, if you try to bring them forward more it’ll also help keep your back more tight and stable, which in the most recent video looked like something that might need some attention. Just look at your back on your 4th rep in the vid. Note how it feels when you lift too.

Otherwise good progress[/quote]

I’ll keep that in mind for tomorrow. But I was under the impression that you had to keep your elbows up to create the “shelf” in which the bar rests on? I’m not sure… But thanks anyway!

no, you pull your shoulder blades together in the middle

So jealous of the groin flexibility… :stuck_out_tongue:

I didn’t read any of the other comments but I thought your form look pretty good. One thing I would caution you on is looking down as you squat. While it didn’t effect your form much in the video eventually it will. The body tends to follow where the eyes flow. I like to look slightly up as I drop down for a rep. This helps keep my body upright which also helps prevent injury to the lower back.

But, good luck you are looking good!

[quote]ZEB wrote:
I didn’t read any of the other comments but I thought your form look pretty good. One thing I would caution you on is looking down as you squat. While it didn’t effect your form much in the video eventually it will. The body tends to follow where the eyes flow. I like to look slightly up as I drop down for a rep. This helps keep my body upright which also helps prevent injury to the lower back.

But, good luck you are looking good![/quote]

Thanks!

[quote]giograves wrote:
So jealous of the groin flexibility… :stuck_out_tongue: [/quote]

Defranco’s Agile 8 :wink: