Squat Form Check

Hey guys,
Ive been a long time lurker on these forums but only just made an account. I would very much appreciate it if you guys could please provide some feedback/criticism on my squat form? My knees seem to be going slightly infront of my toes and i’ve heard various opinions whether this is an issue.

I only just started squatting a few months ago and pretty much coached myself, which is why im doubting my form. My stance is quite wide. Also, im struggling to properly activate my glutes and hamstrings. Its as if i feel i should be using them more during the lift. Im thinking tight hamstrings might be the cause of this? Cheers

You’re chicken wingin’ pretty bad. Pull your elbows forward and tighten your upper back. It also seems like your middle back is rounding over a bit. This will keep you more upright. You’re also starting the lift with you’re knees bent and hips broke. I would suggest once you walk the weight out to stand up straight before you initiate the lift.

It will allow you to take in a full breath of air to really push against the belt and hopefully eliminate the middle back curving. At lockout you’re haven’t brought the hips all the way through, you’re finishing where you started which was in an unlocked position. When you’re locking out really jam the hips forward.

I think for being raw you’re sitting back enough, the knees aren’t moving too far forward and you look like you’re initiating the movement with your hips. Overall not too bad for teaching yourself over the past couple months.

My squat was a mess. I was narrow, I didn’t keep my chest up, my knees and hamstrings felt they were going to buckle if I even had 135lbs on a bar whilst wide squatting.

I changed to positioning the bar low on the traps. I added 20kg to my max in 3 days. I was able to go wide and reach the right depth. It felt incredible. At first its so uncomfortable on the traps/shoulders - but my squat is now the best its ever been.

Another thing is that I never really understood “sit back”. It felt impossible with a narrow stance. Now Im able to go wide and support the bar properly with my upper back, I can sit back to the perfect depth and execute the rep.

I dont know how I ever functioned with a high bar squat.

[quote]UAphenix wrote:
You’re chicken wingin’ pretty bad. Pull your elbows forward and tighten your upper back. It also seems like your middle back is rounding over a bit. This will keep you more upright. You’re also starting the lift with you’re knees bent and hips broke. I would suggest once you walk the weight out to stand up straight before you initiate the lift.

It will allow you to take in a full breath of air to really push against the belt and hopefully eliminate the middle back curving. At lockout you’re haven’t brought the hips all the way through, you’re finishing where you started which was in an unlocked position. When you’re locking out really jam the hips forward.

I think for being raw you’re sitting back enough, the knees aren’t moving too far forward and you look like you’re initiating the movement with your hips. Overall not too bad for teaching yourself over the past couple months. [/quote]

Thanks for the awesome feedback mate. Even though thats only 315 it still feels fairly heavy for me at the moment. Ill probably just drop down to 225 and make sure my form is correct. Do you have any tips regarding activating my hamstrings and glutes more? Also say my knees were a few inces infront of my toes, do you see any issues with this?