T Nation

Squat Form Check

This is a PR for me. 315x9. 315 is the most weight Ive ever had on my back, Ive just chosen to do more repitition work lately.

I apologize for the sideways video, I couldnt figure out how to flip it on a mac computer.

What do I need to work on?

Upload it to YouTube and use the Edit function to rotate the vid

Not bad really. You are a bit high. You lose tightness in the back at the bottom. Your elbows are too flared.

I would do some flexibility work to get a bit deeper without too much butt winking. I would also learn to grip the bar in close and pull it into the back and get the elbows under the bar.

here is the right side up video:

[quote]arramzy wrote:
Not bad really. You are a bit high. You lose tightness in the back at the bottom. Your elbows are too flared.

I would do some flexibility work to get a bit deeper without too much butt winking. I would also learn to grip the bar in close and pull it into the back and get the elbows under the bar.[/quote]

Thanks. I do hip flexor stretches daily, and leg swings at least twice a week. Any other good one to help with the butt wink?

I have my pinkys on the rings right now. I should take a closer grip?

In addition to what has already been stated here, your neck position is odd…you seem to crane it forward somehow, when it should actually be forced back into the bar–especially during your ascent.

Elbow flare needs a lot of work…point them downwards and try to wrap the bar around your neck.

I think your depth is fine personally.

How tall are you? Looks like your stance might be too wide (which could prevent you from hitting depth, if that is a concern).

I think your elbows are fine, but if you want to hold the bar like that (looks like Ripetoe’s low bar, remember to keep your elbows up and head down).

The only suggestion I really have is to slow it down. You seem to be rushing the whole set and I see no way you are getting a good belly breath in between those reps. Take a sec to get the bar set on your back, walk it out, take a sec to stabilize it, descend, rebound, lock it out, pause, breath, repeat.

Thanks for all the replies. I am 6’2"

Insert post that disagrees with the posts above me to make you even more confused.

[quote]Brian14 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I am 6’2"[/quote]

At 6’2", your stance may be fine then.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
In addition to what has already been stated here, your neck position is odd…you seem to crane it forward somehow, when it should actually be forced back into the bar–especially during your ascent.

Elbow flare needs a lot of work…point them downwards and try to wrap the bar around your neck.

I think your depth is fine personally.[/quote]

I agree, that’s USAPL legal depth there.

Watch the most successful squatters…they squat slow and in control. Everything should be tight before you start the descent

Working on your strength wouldn’t be a bad idea, in a year or less you’ll blow up 405 the same way I bet, eat steak and don’t give up

[quote]MAXpower92 wrote:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

Watch the most successful squatters…they squat slow and in control. Everything should be tight before you start the descent[/quote]

lol… some of the best squatters move fast. Very fast actually. Still, nothing wrong with fast or slow. To be honest though, if you can move fast and in control, it gives you an insane pop from the hole. No matter what you put on my back, I can get it at least 4 inches up just from that pop.

That looks pretty good for your height.

Squats + being tall = FML

Look up, stay tighter, get 2" deeper. If you can’t get deeper without issues in your hips, bring the stance in closer.

Also, do some very low, high rep good mornings for flexibility. Or, just do some stretches with just the bar.

Don’t look up

[quote]louiek wrote:
Look up, stay tighter, get 2" deeper. If you can’t get deeper without issues in your hips, bring the stance in closer.

Also, do some very low, high rep good mornings for flexibility. Or, just do some stretches with just the bar.[/quote]

Why are you advocating going deeper than PL depth in the PL forum?

[quote]arramzy wrote:

[quote]MAXpower92 wrote:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

Watch the most successful squatters…they squat slow and in control. Everything should be tight before you start the descent[/quote]

lol… some of the best squatters move fast. Very fast actually. Still, nothing wrong with fast or slow. To be honest though, if you can move fast and in control, it gives you an insane pop from the hole. No matter what you put on my back, I can get it at least 4 inches up just from that pop.[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&list=PLF07003AC44C5B233&v=ZxBOULuQHZA#!

Pop FTW!