Squat Form Check

First post in here. Been lurking for years, just never figured I had much to contribute. Having said that, I am looking for some feedback on squat form. I’ve never seen myself squat til this video today, so not really sure what to look for on my form. It was my last set of the 5/3/1 week. I am 5’6, 220 lbs. Critique away!

Guess I’ll try this since I can’t work a computer right.

Hey man, welcome. I’m re-working my squat form, and I’m pretty sure someone will mention that butt-dip you do in the hole.

Looks to me that you initiate breaking at the hips way earlier than the knees. If you watch the video not knowing you are going to squat it originally seems as though you are going to do a good morning then you bend your knees a second later or so. I would just start with the knees slightly earlier. It resembled a Mike Tuscherer squat (look him up, he’s a beast) to me except the knees weren’t bent quite soon enough. This is just my opinion, it looked good and at 5’6" and 220 you could make some more progress and work up to some 500lb squats. How lean are you?

Thanks JSmiley, so having said that, if I start to bend my knees closer to the time I push my hips back, is it still possible to ensure my hips go far enough back? I think I got into this habit just because the only two cues I’d ever known to SQ were to keep my head up and push my butt back. As for my stats, I am so not lean at 220. I spent 5 years recovering from an back injury falling out an airplane and managed to gain a whole bunch of weight. I still need to lose about 20 lbs again.

[quote]abnrigger226 wrote:
Thanks JSmiley, so having said that, if I start to bend my knees closer to the time I push my hips back, is it still possible to ensure my hips go far enough back? I think I got into this habit just because the only two cues I’d ever known to SQ were to keep my head up and push my butt back. As for my stats, I am so not lean at 220. I spent 5 years recovering from an back injury falling out an airplane and managed to gain a whole bunch of weight. I still need to lose about 20 lbs again. [/quote]

No matter how you put it, falling out of an airplane and recovering to be able to lift like you are is a huge accomplishment. Unless the plane was on the ground and you tripped getting in, just kidding. Anyways, the cues are a matter of the coach giving them. Some say to sit back and some say to sit down. I am more of a sitting down type. I think a lot of the multiply guys use the cue to sit back a lot because of the gear. I would just keep the timing of the break at the hip and the knee a little closer.

What you could try now is to either maintain your weight and increase your numbers or to maintain your numbers and decrease your lift. Either way you are progressing in my opinion but it depends on your goals. If you want to squat 500 then I would maintain bodyweight and try to increase your numbers. A little extra fat padding never hurts to help with your lifts. Anyways, good looking squat.

I would agree that your sit back is a little exaggerated. The mental cue I use is to break at the hips and push my knees out at the same time which allows me to break at the hips and knees at the same time. I have a tendency to sit back a little too much as well. I’ve found that I automatically sit back so if I think about sitting back I actually sit back too much.

I would agree that your sit back is a little exaggerated. The mental cue I use is to break at the hips and push my knees out at the same time which allows me to break at the hips and knees at the same time. I have a tendency to sit back a little too much as well. I’ve found that I automatically sit back so if I think about sitting back I actually sit back too much.

[quote]jsmiley07 wrote:

What you could try now is to either maintain your weight and increase your numbers or to maintain your numbers and decrease your lift. Either way you are progressing in my opinion but it depends on your goals. If you want to squat 500 then I would maintain bodyweight and try to increase your numbers. A little extra fat padding never hurts to help with your lifts. Anyways, good looking squat.[/quote]

Yes, this is the idea. I know I could afford to lose some BF, but I’m in shape enough to pass my fitness tests and BF test for the military easily, and I would much rather keep my weight where it was and increase my numbers as opposed to just maintaining numbers while losing weight. Plus I only have two years left in the military so why not get work towards a goal I care about.