T Nation

Squat Form Check

Currently using 5/3/1 with a 280lb training max. This is my last set of Wave 1. Open to any suggestions regarding my form. If a different camera angle is needed I'll try a different position on Wave 2.

......but seriously, someone surely has a comment on this (positive or negative)

You lower back might be a weak point, looking at how you keep fighting your back angle through the whole set. Work on it directly I'd say. And really think of pushing your chest outward out of the hole to keep your back angle right.
Right now your legs are straightening first and the bar isn't moving, which mean you're not lifting the bar but merely shifting to a good morning out of the hole.

Good work but some classic problems we all have when we start (back position, butt raising before chest, gm-ing the weight and not breaking parallel) - the main causes are probably flexibility and bar position.

IMHO the bar position looks too high on your neck and your back doesn't look tight. Lower the bar and get the hands closer in aiming to get a really tight back and make more of an effort to get a good arch in the spine before descending.

On coming out of the hole, keep the chest up and concentrate on hip-drive rather than leg-drive.

Someone-else might recommend some flexibility drills so that you can get lower and keep a good back arch. In my personal experience, not dealing with it will lead to injury.

You need to go a bit lower if your following 5/3/1 it says in the book that at a minimum when you squat your thighs should be parallel to the floor and your a an inch of two out.

Hey thanks for the advice. Regarding my depth, would a wider or more narrow stance help with this?

Nyral;I fucking love your profile vid, I wouldnt mind have a near death experience if them nurses were guaranteed to recuss me!
Knowing my luck tho I would have three dog-ugly mingers!

I'm not should they could actually save your life, besides, it looks like you already have your own pretty lady

weight is still kinda light for you, but when add weight i can see you're gonna have trouble staying upright and not falling forward into a good morning.
already your low back is rounding, try to maintain an arch in low back with chest up and full, head forward or slightly up.
do some assistance work to strengthen weaknesses

also looked like the bar was too high on your neck

One thing that no one pointed out yet is that your knees seem to travel pretty far forward. You will have some forward travel doing a deep raw squat, but it should not be over your toes or even close to that in my opinion. Forward knee travel means you are using more quad to squat the weight.

You want to rely more on the big muscle groups of the hamstrings and glutes. I would focus on sitting back more and making sure you keep a tight arch. Also are you driving your head up and back into the bar as you are coming out of the hole?

I recently added in good mornings to my assistance work, would this help strengthen my lower back? What rep range are they most effective? What other squat assistance exercises would people recommend?

I am gathering that I need to position the bar lower, "tighten up" more and keep my chest up. What would help with my knees going too far forward?

Thanks for the help

don't put the bar on the neck bro!

also you need to improve technique

and strengthen your core

also flexibility

have an inspired workout now

I think I'm probably repeating what a bunch of people have already said, but:

Your back is rounding like shit....before you start, make sure you are flexing your abs and keep them tight throughout. Strap on a belt. Honestly, it looks like you are using more weight than you can safely handle. I would scale it down a bit until your form is better. Your back rounding is a HUGE safety concern for me.

You are hitting parallel on your first couple of reps (or so) but not hitting it that deep in the hole on your later reps. Scale down weight until you can "feel" parallel.

Also, someone mentioned your knee position at the end. I've heard a lot of people attribute this to poor form and/or hamstring flexibility issues. Personally, I think flexibility has more to do with it than form, so work on loosening up your hammys. HOWEVER, I think you're pretty tall (as am I), and this would also create a more unnatural lever arm than shorter squatters, so I don't think its a huge problem. My knees come forward a lot when I squat. Part of it is tight hammies, but I'm 6 fucking 5...to keep the weight centered at that height requires a different balance than someone shorter....I don't see this as a huge concern, but get a foam roller and good stretching guidelines to work on those calves.

Need to go down another couple of inches. Other than that, looks pretty good!

Also putting the bar a little lower on your back and pulling your elbows forward at the bottom should take care of that little round.

Oh and just focus on 1 or 2 details at a time. There is a LOT of info in this thread so try to focus.
Also, knees traveling forward is not that big of a deal in itself, and most of that problem will be solved by correcting the rest of you form, don't sweat it.

Also be damn sure to put the bar low on your back for goodmornings also

Hey, thank you again for all the replies and suggestions. Looking forward to using them in my next squat session. I'll post up vids too

How tall are you? I'm 6'6" and have problems with Back Squat.

I've weight lifted before, so I consider my self a beginner with experience, but I don't intend to give advice. However, I have heard that tall people do better with the Front Squat. I would do a search on the site/google about it. Maybe Front Squat would be one you could load up more while you work on your form for Back Squat?

I will say that when I was doing Back Squats about a year or two ago, my short, gnome like friend kept telling me to put more weight on, but there was no way I could do a Back Squat down to parallel with what he kept telling me. I definitely believe Tall people have a disadvantage on this movement.

Also, check out the recent article on glutes,
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth
I read that and am gonna try the Hip Thrust and others for building up Glutes. Seems to me like that wouldn't have a disadvantage for being tall.

Here is the aritcle on tall people from this site,
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/why_lurch_wont_grow

"Because of the enormous range of motion a tall lifter has to travel in doing a squat, it's often his aerobic capacity that fails before his anaerobic capacity. In other words, his lungs will give out before his quads. When a tall guy does ten squats, he's done a helluva' lot of work. In other words, he's moved the weight a great distance â?? considerably more than a shorter guy using the same weight. As such, the bar is often racked prematurely."

I quoted the last section because this was definitely hitting me on the Back Squat.

JG

How tall are you? I'm 6'6" and have problems with Back Squat.

I've weight lifted before, so I consider my self a beginner with experience, but I don't intend to give advice. However, I have heard that tall people do better with the Front Squat. I would do a search on the site/google about it. Maybe Front Squat would be one you could load up more while you work on your form for Back Squat?

I will say that when I was doing Back Squats about a year or two ago, my short, gnome like friend kept telling me to put more weight on, but there was no way I could do a Back Squat down to parallel with what he kept telling me. I definitely believe Tall people have a disadvantage on this movement.

Also, check out the recent article on glutes,
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth
I read that and am gonna try the Hip Thrust and others for building up Glutes. Seems to me like that wouldn't have a disadvantage for being tall.

Here is the aritcle on tall people from this site,
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/why_lurch_wont_grow

"Because of the enormous range of motion a tall lifter has to travel in doing a squat, it's often his aerobic capacity that fails before his anaerobic capacity. In other words, his lungs will give out before his quads. When a tall guy does ten squats, he's done a helluva' lot of work. In other words, he's moved the weight a great distance â?? considerably more than a shorter guy using the same weight. As such, the bar is often racked prematurely."

I quoted the last section because this was definitely hitting me on the Back Squat.

JG

Is that a high-bar position you're using?