T Nation

Squat Form Check

Hey guys, I have a squat video for you to critique. I know towards the end of the set I tend to do good mornings. Judging from the video, what do you guys recommend to help fix this problem? Here is the link:

Thanks in advance!

No one’s form is going to look great on rep 8. I don’t see anything to be worried about. STOP all the fidgeting you’re doing between reps though.

[quote]PublickStews wrote:
No one’s form is going to look great on rep 8. I don’t see anything to be worried about. STOP all the fidgeting you’re doing between reps though.[/quote]

id actually recommend to stop when your form gets bad, otherwise you will start to compensate more and more as the weight gets heavier and you might get in trouble,

it will certainly lead to far worse places then the “fidgeting” lol

your form is good the first couple of reps then the weight obviously gets too heavy for you to do anymore clean reps, you dont really need any suggestions, just build strength with proper reps rather then cheating, especially when it comes to exercises like squats or deads

You fall forward. Work on pushing up from you heel. Deep enough squat work though, nice.

[quote]believedat wrote:
PublickStews wrote:
No one’s form is going to look great on rep 8. I don’t see anything to be worried about. STOP all the fidgeting you’re doing between reps though.

id actually recommend to stop when your form gets bad, otherwise you will start to compensate more and more as the weight gets heavier and you might get in trouble,

your form is good the first couple of reps then the weight obviously gets too heavy for you to do anymore clean reps, you dont really need any suggestions, just build strength with proper reps rather then cheating, especially when it comes to exercises like squats or deads[/quote]

How is grinding out a few difficult reps “cheating”? Is it cheating when I max out on deadlift and my form breaks down because it’s so heavy? May I ask what your best squat and deadlift are? Your profile indicates that you have been training for “~2 months” which surprised me since you are giving out advice on a strength-oriented board.

believedat wrote:
PublickStews wrote:

your form is good the first couple of reps then the weight obviously gets too heavy for you to do anymore clean reps, you dont really need any suggestions, just build strength with proper reps rather then cheating, especially when it comes to exercises like squats or deads

How is grinding out a few difficult reps “cheating”? Is it cheating when I max out on deadlift and my form breaks down because it’s so heavy? May I ask what your best squat and deadlift are? Your profile indicates that you have been training for “~2 months” which surprised me since you are giving out advice on a strength-oriented board.[/quote]

I couldnt agree with you more on this. I am going to skip the bashing of “believedat” as its pretty obvious his advice should not be taken on this one.

As for higher rep squats the only thing needed to remember is to keep the arch in your lower back and not bomb dive down and you should be fine.Although nothing is a guarantie.

You do seem to have good form here. It just seems as though something is fatiguing causing you to try to compensate. One thing you might try is pause squats. Squat down and pause at the bottom for 1-2 full seconds. I say full because some people say they are doing pause squats but the pause is barely perceivable. Focus at the bottom on staying tight and upright. You might try sets of 3 or so.

I think your low back may be the strong point and that as other muscles fatigue you allow your chest to rise slower in order to get your hips up a little and then once your hips are in a stronger position you use your back to finish. The pause squats could help to make you more solid at the bottom thereby reducing the need to shift the burden to the low back.

Good luck.

Watching your videos I’d concentrate on three things :

1. It looks like your knees are caving from the first rep. Concentrate on pushing your knees out, perhaps you need more foot angle or stance width. But keep your knees out.

2. Concentrate on keeping your chest up to keep upper back tight. That seems to be why your back is collapsing on the 3rd or fourth rep. Sometimes I’ll pick a point on the wall in front and keep looking at it, that keeps my head up and cues my chest to drive up.

3. Drive through heels, glutes and keep your torso tight. It looks like your caving a little in the mid section which is cueing a forward weight shift. I tend to cue my upward movement with my arse then drive my chest up and almost raise my toes to force it through my heels.

To those guys bashing the dude giving sugestions, the guy asked for advice. Half the reps were okay, half were not so maybe cheat is the wrong word given the dude got the bar up there and is askign for advice so thumbs up; but I think it’s fair to say that he might need to take a step back in weight and get the form correct.

Also I might’ve joined this forum in March but I’ve been training for almost 4 years.

Your knees caving in like they are could lead to knee pain but most importantly means you’re probably not using your glutes effectively.

If you have access to a band double one up around your knees during the set - this will make sure your adductors are firing. Also do some glute medius activation with a mini-band or do “clams” before the set. Making your stance little wider also might make this easier or at least more intuitive. Or for some people just thinking “push knees out” will work - it didn’t for me, it was like my knees had a mind of their own.

I agree with most of the other comments. Except for your knees caving in, your first few reps looked fine. Fixing the knee problem will likely make it easier to keep a flat back right away.

Holding the bar lower on your back will also help you keep a tight arch when fatigue starts to set in. In the squat, your back acts like a lever arm. The lower you hold the bar, the less force you will need to exert to lift the weight because the lever is shorter. Your back rounding is simply a way for your body to shorten that arm so that your hips are able to bring your torso upright.

Finally, using a safety squat bar, if you have access to one, will help reinforce the notion of keeping a tight arch more than anything. If you can’t find a safety bar, throwing in some front squats can help the same way.

believedat wrote:
PublickStews wrote:

How is grinding out a few difficult reps “cheating”? Is it cheating when I max out on deadlift and my form breaks down because it’s so heavy? May I ask what your best squat and deadlift are? Your profile indicates that you have been training for “~2 months” which surprised me since you are giving out advice on a strength-oriented board.[/quote]

burn

I thoght you form was pretty sweet. The bar looked like it was sitting a bit high, not sure if a poster above me touched on this. BTW you see the schmuck 1/4 squattin next to you? what a bum :stuck_out_tongue:

Tedro and Pipes06, your avatars are REALLY similar.

Lower bar position, and pull it down hard onto your back (which will fix your rounding problem).