T Nation

Squat Form Check, Please

Hello,

please, could you tell me what's wrong/OK with my squat form ?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fUa3MKdwD8&feature=youtu.be

Thank you !
Mat'

Link is broken mate.

Is it OK now ?

Mat’

You should be sitting backwards, not down. As is, you’re leaning forward while simutaneously moving your knees forward, and from the looks of it, past your feet. If that is the case, that’ll be very very bad once you move onto heavier weights, as more of the weight goes onto your knees instead of your hip as it should be. Plus, you’re not going low enough. Priority while on low weights should be getting your form down perfect.

But the video in itself isn’t clear enough to tell anyone how your actual bottom is.

Thank you.

I’m 6’3" with long femur…I try not to bent over while squatting.

Will try to sit backward. Thanks for watching :wink:

Mat’

You look like you’d get completely crumpled if the bar weight was doubled.

I dont know how people with hella long femurs should squat , i suppose wider?

Im 5’11 with pretty average leg length but one thing that definitely helped me get less crumpled while squatting was getting more developed in the upper back, traps and shoulders.

[quote]Field wrote:
You look like you’d get completely crumpled if the bar weight was doubled.

[/quote]

very constructive, thank you

Mat’

Field, what exactly did you do to get that upper back development?i feel like my t-spine just caves, especially on
front squats

I reckon I have long fermurs relative to my shins, and I squat very comfortably high bar, close stance, in oly shoes

[quote]Son_of_Man wrote:
Field, what exactly did you do to get that upper back development?i feel like my t-spine just caves, especially on
front squats[/quote]

To send your upper back into hulkamania: rows, chins, deadlifts, kettlebells.

Theres nothing really WRONG with your form. Just couple tips

The depth is pretty good I recommend going down just a little further to make sure you get the full ROM. Also, clinch your shoulder blades together, it maybe that there’s no angle from behind but it looks like you need to work on overall core and body stability to really get up in weight.

Can’t see the feet but again try to keep you knees from going too far out and always have your lower back straight

other than that looks good!

also try doing couple front squats it helps with the leaning on your back squats

[quote]Son_of_Man wrote:
front squats[/quote]

Two best ones for me were clean/jerk and muscle snatches ,
and spending time holding fairly heavy weight over your head.
Things that involve you pressing and holding stuff over your head.
Overhead squats would probably also fit , but i dont do them enough to comment.

I also kind of like doing dumbell curl and presses , but when i curl it ill bring my elbow up really high like im doing the rack position for a front squat or clean.

Of course also alot of weighted and unweighted pullups/chins.

You’ll notice that if you do heavy overhead stuff like push presses or clean/jerks the day previous , squatting and staying upright will feel easier.