Squat Form Check...Once Again

hey guys, first timer poster here. i would like you to check out my squat form. i´m training mostly for strength and plan to compete raw sometime in the near future. i´m around 170lbs at the moment.

i think my main problem is the speed. i´m movin really slow out of the hole even with lighter weights.

excuse the shitty angle in the second vid. hope you can still see the most important things.

action starts at ~0:50

chest up more, you need to strengthen your core more also. Your legs are going before your chest which is causing you to fall forward. when your in the hole, start with the chest first, then the legs. I had the same problem but I started doing that and it helps alot

I actually think your form looks pretty solid. You stay tight on a weight this is about your 1rm.

It looks like your hips do rise a tab bid faster but I don’t think you are losing your lower back arch. Also your upper back is not rounding either.

Sometimes the hips rise faster because the legs are weaker compared to the back. The body is shifting to get you into a stronger anatomical position. I would say your low back is probably your strong point.

Nice job squatting.

I agree with Seattle_lifter. For a 1RM that looks pretty damn good.

i think your form is fine

I agree it looks good. A 1rm or anything close to it and you won’t have perfect form. Maybe try to accent your hip drive a little more and I think you’ve got it.

Good job.

Your form is fine. Its a 1rm, so your not going to be picture perfect like someone squatting with 135 on their traps.

thanks for your feedback. maybe i will put up another video the next time i squat for reps to check my form with subamximal weights.

How do you like the squat shoes? I currently squat and pull in chucks and they’re a hell of a lot better than the old trainers I used to use.

I’ve been thinking about getting shoes like yours for a while since my squat technique has changed (recently, actually) to a more narrow stance. I used to go a bit wider and this last squat day (Wednesday) I squatted narrower and with lower pins. Worked like a charm.

i absolutely love them so far. squatting feels way more natural since the first time i used them. it also allowed me to bring my stance in quite a bit and helped with some anterior hip pain.

i used to squat with chucks before but i would definitely buy the ironworks again.

Hi diekatze,

Looks pretty good. Depending on what fed you plan on competing on you may need to get a couple of inches deeper though.

A cue I like in coming out of the hole is to lead with your chest. i.e. at the hole to come up think “chest up first”.

Also I would experiment with dropping quicker into the hole especially if you are planning on using knee wraps in the future. You seem to be taking a lot of time getting down into the hole and I think it’s because you are emphasizing the idea of sitting back too much. For raw squatting I think dropping into the hole as opposed to sitting back is more effective.

• Caleb

I can’t really see your stance, but it looks pretty narrow… getting your feet out another inch or two might make a big difference too???

its really hard to see but my stance is a bit wider than shoulder with. i had to bring it in due to hip flexor problems.

if that’s the case you could still probably push your knees out a little harder throughout the lift to help keep you from going forward as much… or just get some light briefs to protect your hips so you can sit back when you squat… you just don’t want that to turn in to knee and back problems as well…

update…i brought my stance in over the last weeks and my hip pain left.

what do you think about the buttwink? i am not sure if its stille tolerable ?!

Hey just a little add-on to what other people are saying about “chest up/chest first”. I’m no PL’er but I do ATG squats regularly. I find what helps me when going heavy is to focus on trying to “lean back” when I come out of the hole. Just a mental trick but it helps you keep your chest up and put more hip into the movement…also eliminates the chance of leaning too far forward and tweaking your back or worse fall forward.

[quote]Rev1911 wrote:
How do you like the squat shoes? I currently squat and pull in chucks and they’re a hell of a lot better than the old trainers I used to use.

I’ve been thinking about getting shoes like yours for a while since my squat technique has changed (recently, actually) to a more narrow stance. I used to go a bit wider and this last squat day (Wednesday) I squatted narrower and with lower pins. Worked like a charm.[/quote]

You can try squatting with small plates under your heels and light weight to see if it feels natural before you fork up the green.