Squat-Form Check....LOL

[quote]limitatinfinity wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
i like that 4 people have commented on what i said yet no one gave an explanation.

gg

Guys like this are the reason the bars at my gym get bent at both ends.

Dumping a squat at the bottom means you have no control over how the bar lands which means plates can slide, you could get caught under it and other people can get hurt.
Obviously, you’re also gonna wreck your bar and/or pins.
IF you try to duck under a shit ton of weight you also put yourself in a compromised position where you are rounding your back and/or torquing your shoulders to get out of the way. You could also end up with a good part of the load on your neck as you fall over.
The point is, you cannot maintain a safe and mechanically staple position under the bar if you dump the weight and greatly increase the risk of damage to your equipment and yourself.

BTW, what’s the heaviest squat you’ve been under LiveFromThe781?
[/quote]

Good post. I woulda thought some things were so obvious they didn’t need explaining.

LFT781, if that’s still too complicated let me simplify… Look how far he is from the spotter racks when he’s in the bottom position. If he misses he has a long way to go to get onto them, and with that much weight, a whole world of shit would rain down on him if he tried.

OP: solid control but you’re elbows are flared(chicken-winging).

Other wise your depth looks good and stability looks good.
Setup may need some work.[/quote]

I am aware that my flared elbows are inproper and have put a great deal of work into improving that aspect of my form. I started out with my hands on top of the plates due to shoulder issues. I never recommend that others duplicate this style and believe it has cost me an attempt here and there over the years. You guys point that out every chance you get…it is always good to be reminded!!

The extra time I take is to ensure a ‘Full Chest Of Air’ prior to decending while doing ‘stalls’ (all work done in this session to prep. for the last set) When I do rep. work the pace is faster.

Setup: New stance, working on consistancy-not nailed down just yet, but better each session.

The point is, you cannot maintain a safe and mechanically staple position under the bar if you dump the weight and greatly increase the risk of damage to your equipment and yourself.[/quote]

You definitely can do it safely with high bar oly squats (speaking from experience), but since this isn’t what the OP was doing you’re definitely right in this case.

Nice lifts. I generally don’t comment in these threads…not really my place being anonymous and I think there are far better here then me as far as advice goes. But I’m trying to get my mind around squatting again, today is leg day for me, and the thread title caught my eye. I’m 39, and I admire the over 35 guys still squatting and deadlifting.

I’ve tried squatting once since coming back about 14 months ago and it was bad. Not so much from the intensity of the lift, but the technique. It use to be so simple…but last time I squatted I spent the whole exercise thinking…I had issues with balance in the hole that had me leaning forward long before my legs were feeling it…I kept thinking eyes up, chest out, but as soon as I hit parallel or so I started bending slightly at the waist.

I’m beat up and tired today, and I just talked myself back into leg presses. Hell, I wish I had a spotter for those, let alone squats…

Nice lifts and it’s also nice to see that I’m not the only over 35 guy that still likes to rock out a bit.

[quote]SSVegeta wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Fuzzyapple wrote:
What if he falls backwards by tripping on a tiny Mexican baby? No bars will save him but his spotter will!

im sorry, can someone explain to me what the significance is?

i mean if youre in a meet, it makes sense. theres no bars below you so if you get stuck you need the spots to get up again.

if you fall forward, the rack will catch the bar, if you fall backward samething will happen. if you go straight down, again, the rack will provide safety.

so whats the point? unless you just want someone to help you get a couple extra out like on benching

Okay man, here’s the deal. Give this a try, then come back and ask the same question. Load up the bar until it starts to bend while it’s still on the bars. Then, get under it and let it crush your troll ass.

Real answer, it sucks to dump the weight. You could really hurt yourself, there’s no telling where that weight is going to fall if you just let it go, or if you lean forward you could seriously injure yourself too. Always better to come up with the weight.

-CJ[/quote]

you wouldnt dump the weight if its in that kind of rack. if he got stuck in the hole hed just have to drop down 2 inches and the bar would rest on the rack, its not hard ive done it plenty of times.

so basically like i said, theres no need for a spotter unless youre using a rack that doesnt have those bars. ask a simple question and everyone gets their panties in a twist.

gg
kthxbai

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
you wouldnt dump the weight if its in that kind of rack. if he got stuck in the hole hed just have to drop down 2 inches and the bar would rest on the rack, its not hard ive done it plenty of times.
[/quote]

If you rewatch the video you’ll notice that the particular rack he’s using has pretty low safety bars. As Hanley pointed out, even at his deepest position, he’s still about a foot above those bars, so it wouldn’t be as simple as just lowering the weight a little more. On a power rack with adjustable safety bars it would be different, but the one he’s using he would basically have to dump it.

[quote]dfreezy wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

If you rewatch the video you’ll notice that the particular rack he’s using has pretty low safety bars. As Hanley pointed out, even at his deepest position, he’s still about a foot above those bars, so it wouldn’t be as simple as just lowering the weight a little more. On a power rack with adjustable safety bars it would be different, but the one he’s using he would basically have to dump it.[/quote]

yeah, i didnt see Hanleys post til after, i rewatched the video and it made sense.

wish someone just said that earlier instead of “omg ur such a noob” as that doesnt really solve anything.

Nice squat.

781: I don’t know about you but having a spotter always helps me hit bigger weights, knowing that you’ll be able to drive it up even if you require a little help is nice.

everything looked fine except for the elbows and you already said you’re working on it so I feel no reason to belabor the point. Besides I can barely squat, so I have no business saying anything lol.

One thing that I’ve found is even with chest up, good bar placement, scapulae tight, you can still end up elbows up if you don’t have good internal rotation range of motion. That’s been the case for me for a while now.

What’s helped me FINALLY get my elbows under is actually doing a lot of mid/lower trap and rear delt work.

LiveFromThe781 wrote:
i like that 4 people have commented on what i said yet no one gave an explanation.

gg

Dumping a squat at the bottom means you have no control over how the bar lands which means plates can slide, you could get caught under it and other people can get hurt.

IF you try to duck under a shit ton of weight you also put yourself in a compromised position where you are rounding your back and/or torquing your shoulders to get out of the way. You could also end up with a good part of the load on your neck as you fall over.

The point is, you cannot maintain a safe and mechanically staple position under the bar if you dump the weight and greatly increase the risk of damage to your equipment and yourself.

heaviest squat ive done is 315x6

as i train for BBing i havent done squatting in a REALLY long time until just recently, like the last few weeks. im trying to get up to a 405x6 but i think my form needs a lot of work.

i asked because the rack i use at my gym is high enough that if i squatted as low as possible it would rest on the bars. i dont see how that can bend the bar either because the bars are so wide that they would be sitting under the part of the bar just before the piece where the plates slide on to.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Nice squat.

781: I don’t know about you but having a spotter always helps me hit bigger weights, knowing that you’ll be able to drive it up even if you require a little help is nice. [/quote]

yeah i can see the benefits

its really hard to find a someone who knows to bench-spot properly, let alone how spot a squat.

plus i always just train to failure and do 2 top sets for each body part, forced reps are cool but i dont use them often…maybe i should?

but also at least for squats i tend to get to this point on my final rep where its like im going to get stuck but i push at it and i stay still for a couple seconds but then i get through the sticking point and it comes right up.

Good job, brother.

good form.

Bit shallow for my liking but good squat.

I don’t use spotters personally just a platform and if I miss it I just drop it.

Would use a spotter if I was using a cage but.

LiveFromThe781 wrote:

gg

good post.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
why are you using a spotter if theres bars?[/quote]

you ever go down with 400 pounds on your neck, i have AND IT FUCKIN HURTS!

btw this guy for bein 46 is a beast

OP, form is good, most reps look low enough to me.

As for the other discussion, I think that spotters in a CAGE is pointless because there are horizontal bars and vertical bars in front and behind you. Just set the pins 5" below your rock bottom squt. On that particular squat RACK, there is no rear vertical bars so if you loose balance you will bust your ass.

A spotter standing behind you would be okay but I personally don’t feel comfortable with people grabbing me around the midsection when there is weight on my back.

If I go all the way down in the squat RACKS in my gym, the barbell hits the bars too Live, that’s why I prefer squat cages.

[quote]IrishMarc wrote:
I don’t use spotters personally just a platform and if I miss it I just drop it.

Would use a spotter if I was using a cage but. [/quote]

I don’t get this at all, you sure you don’t mean that you use a spotter on the platform but not in the cage?? What you said just sounds kinda dangerous.

Alright, I’m not really one to speak because I do all my Squatting in a rack without a spotter, but this whole debate about what’s the point of a spotter (or spotters) if you’re in a rack can be answered by this:

I’m sure some of you guys remember Wildauer Martin (posts here as shane54). Watch the video until the end, and decide if the spotters prolonged his life. I haven’t seen him around for a while, but he’s a beast, and a great lifter.

[quote]Modi wrote:
Alright, I’m not really one to speak because I do all my Squatting in a rack without a spotter, but this whole debate about what’s the point of a spotter (or spotters) if you’re in a rack can be answered by this:

I’m sure some of you guys remember Wildauer Martin (posts here as shane54). Watch the video until the end, and decide if the spotters prolonged his life. I haven’t seen him around for a while, but he’s a beast, and a great lifter.[/quote]

Woah, did he pass out? What went wrong?

Those spotters saved his nuts from getting smashed but if it was just one guy behind him, I don’t think he would be so lucky.