T Nation

Squat Form - Butt Wink?

Hi guys!

I am new here on the forum and i also started powerlifting a few weeks ago.
At the moment I try to learn the technique of the main lifts - i think my deadlift and my bench work pretty good.
But there is a problem with my squat…

When i try to hit depth i have kind of a butt wink. I don’t really feel it, i recognized the problem when I first filmed my sets.
I tried different stance widths but the problem still occurs…
But is it actually a real flexion of the spine or is it just because I start my squats overextended and my spine gets neutral on the way down? (have that thougt from a video of dr. Quinn henoch)…

If you have some tipps for me, i would be very thankful! :slight_smile:

Greetings from Austria

Hallo! Where are you from in Austria? My grandfather is from Lankowitz and I have a lot of family in/near Graz.

Unfortunately it looks more like a real butt wink than your spine just going back to neutral from extension, especially as your set goes on. Are your hamstrings tight? It looks like they’re pulling your spine into flexion.

1 Like

The world is a small place… i am actually from Graz!

Ok that might be - my whole posterior chain is thight i guess, since i sit in the office all day. So should i stretch my hamstrings? Static Stretching?

1 Like

No kidding, that’s awesome! Oh, that would make sense with you sitting all day. Static stretching is a good start. Another thing you can do is lock your back in place and only squat to a depth where you can keep your back neutral/extended. Eventually you should gain flexibility enough to squat to parallel or better without butt wink.

One other thing you can try is to turn your feet out a little more and force your knees out as you squat. I don’t know if it will help, but there’s a chance it will.

1 Like

Servus!

S:
agreed to others. The buttwink is proper and you need to address it, as it will become a problem with heavier weights. Do you do any stretching before squats? You need to open up your hips and stretch the glutes. Not sure about tight hamstrings, I always find this tricky as explanation for butt wink, as knee flexion will lengthen it again… I would recommend abductor and glute stretches. What helped me was a seated straddle stretch with emphasis of keeping the lower back tight and straight. Takes quite a while to get flexibility there, but did help me.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c2/b0/dc/c2b0dcb9684fef199cf349835e006665.jpg

For the time being, I would perhaps squat a tad high to continue to build the base before you have the flexibility to squat to depth.

B:
Not bad at all, you have long arms but you do a good job with the big chest to work with it. I can’t really see your leg positioning from the video, but it seems you could benefit from some proper leg drive. Difficult to say, but perhaps you could pull your feet back a bit to get more of an arch. From the video it looks like your feet/legs are not involved in the bench. Elbow tuck is good! Just crack on with tons of volume to build a solid base.

D:
Are you using just double overhand on this? Form is also not too bad! Side angle view would help, but it seems your spine is neutral when the bar leaves the floor. Plus points for pulling your shoulders back and engaging your lats just before the pull. It looks the weights are a bit too light for us to see where your weak points are and where your form could break down. I would try to sit back a bit more. It appears to me that with heavier weights (like a 3RM) there might be a risk of doing a stiff legged deadlift. Try to “leg-press” the weight up…

1 Like

No. It’s common misconception (online at least) that tight hamstrings can limit squat depth and/or cause butt wink. In reality, your hamstrings are not in a stretched position at the bottom of a squat because your knees are bent, it’s physically impossible. You might have tight hamstrings, they might be worth stretching, but it’s not going to fix your problem here.

It could be adductors, it could be glutes, it could be both, something affecting hip flexion. Seeing as what you want to do is squat to depth without rounding your back what I suggest is goblet squat stretches. You can do these on non-training days as well as right before squatting. Grab a 25lb plate (or other heavy object if you do this at home), hold it in front of you, and sit in a full squat (not allowing any spinal flexion) for 10-15 seconds, then rise up to around parallel and squeeze your glutes and push your knees out for 5 seconds, then back down for another 10-15 before coming back up. Do that 3-5 times.

Yes, and work on bracing (Duffin/Kabuki have a bunch of videos) which will prevent you from allowing your back to round. You might already be able to squat to depth without any rounding, it’s just that you are going extra deep by allowing your back to round.

2 Likes

Google: Butt Wink Is Not About the Hamstrings Dean Somerset

Locally:

Look at your feet. Lots of heel movement and your body tends to shift forward to try and hit depth and that’s when you’re winking.

Tony Gentilcore has a lot of good stuff here about wink and fixing squats.

2 Likes

Servus! Haha

Thank you for your feedback!!!

S: I actually do stretch before squatting - that spidermann stretch if you know what i mean. I tried the seated straddle stretch yesterday before training, it felt great but I definitely have a lot of work to do there. I did some higher squats like you told me, also some goblet squats and it looked much better.

B: Yes, since i am not used to use my leg drive at benching i have to concentrate more on it. I have to practice more

D: That set was actually a lighter one - if the weights get heavier i use a alternating grip. I will post a video if weights get more serious.

Thank you man!

I watched a few videos of duffin yesterday - that guy is great but also crazy! haha

1 Like

Sorry, I know I’m a little late to this discussion, but as someone who has struggled quite a bit with butt wink, I thought I’d offer my thoughts. The thing that I found to be most helpful was the cue to squat down between your thighs rather than on top of them. This entails (for me) a slightly wider stance and angling my feet out about 30-40 degrees, with my knees tracking over my toes. As others have said, bracing hard is essential as well. These two things have really helped me learn to hit depth while maintaining a pretty neutral lumbar. I’d add that heeled weightlifting shoes help a lot too; my personal preference is Nike Romaleos, but there are several good models out there. Best of luck!

1 Like