Squat Foot Position

CT,

Kelly Starret recommends feet neutral as he argues it incorporates more hip and aids in preventing knee collapsing. He is against turning the foot out 30 degrees duck foot style. Any thoughts?

[quote]nickj_777 wrote:
CT,

Kelly Starret recommends feet neutral as he argues it incorporates more hip and aids in preventing knee collapsing. He is against turning the foot out 30 degrees duck foot style. Any thoughts?[/quote]

I look forward to CT’s thoughts but here’s my take.

If you rotate the feet out slightly and actively screw them to the ground you get a great floor connection but also posterior chain activation and it helps ease to sticking your knees out to open up the hips a great deal.

The neutral foot doesn’t do it for me in terms of stability or power. I’ve played with several styles and really seem to fit to screwing my legs to the ground. What works for you?

I’m new around here, but this is slightly incorrect.
Kstar recommends screwing your feel into the ground before descending pudding your feet between 15-20 degrees or so.

I always tell people to start with their feet in the same general position that they can put them in while sinking their hips between knees, well past the parallel squat position.

Think of when you see Vietnamese rice farmers squatting ass-to-grass on the ground smoking a cigarette while they poke around at a rice paddy with a stick. That position they get into where their hips are basically slung between their knees and their ass is pretty much resting against their heels.

Find that position and that’s your basic foot position. You can tinker around with how much your toes point out to the sides and that sort of thing, but that initial foot position is a good starting point to make adjustments from.

No one can achieve the strange anatomical positions that Kelly attains. I’ve tried for years until I realized that Mobility WOD is a joke since Kelly isn’t human.

For real though, look at elite level lifters; very few maintain neutral feet positioning.