T Nation

Squat Flexibility

Im currently cutting but when I get back to bulking I will be Squatting twice a week. But my problem is that when I go really deep with heavy squats certain places start to hurt. I have read it could be down to poor ankle and/or hip flexibility. Can I get peoples advice on how to pretty much make everything important for good Squats flexible? Thanks.

How much do you typically warm up before squatting? Research yoga exercises that target glutes, hams, quads and hips to get the best results as far as flexibility, recover and stability.

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:
How much do you typically warm up before squatting? Research yoga exercises that target glutes, hams, quads and hips to get the best results as far as flexibility, recover and stability.[/quote]

Usually i’ll do 2 warm up sets with just an empty bar on my back, and thnaks buddy. Will give it a look.

Is it uncomfortable right from the start or is there a certain point when you notice it. What spefically do you mean? FTR…I like that your warm-up starts with the bar, where do you go from there?

Try stretching out your piriformis and groin before squatting, also try doing some hip mobility stuff before hand.

You can also do wall squats and overhead squats as a warmup.

Ripsaw3689 is on to something. Eventually with repetions overtime you might be able to touch the ground with both wrists with locked knees. Focus on your breath getting taller each inhale, getting lower each exhale. Never bounce. Some say do not practice the first 30 min. when you wake-up. Practipe about 3 min. at a time 2 to 4 times daily. with weeks and months you will make gains.
Also flexibility is improved by alkaline diet. Lots of fresh vegetables raw or steamed is a plus.
Putting your hands flat on the floor is possible but not needed.
If your ankles lack flexibility start by raising the front of your feet about an half inch sliding a book under, each week add about a quarter in. till about 1.25 in.
Avoid rounding your back. First step inhale try reaching the stars with your fingers exhale making the letter L back is horizontal, again inhale get taller exhale fold like a book going down relaxation is key, repeat 2 to 5 deep breath simply moving like a leaf being moved by the wind/your breath.
Inhale again getting taller reversing the fold going past vertical you want to be balanced so stretch bachkwards about 2 breathing cycles.
Smile you are on your way

[quote]Bailey H wrote:
Im currently cutting but when I get back to bulking I will be Squatting twice a week. But my problem is that when I go really deep with heavy squats certain places start to hurt. I have read it could be down to poor ankle and/or hip flexibility. Can I get peoples advice on how to pretty much make everything important for good Squats flexible? Thanks.[/quote]

What parts specifically hurt?

Also some other questions to consider:

1. Do your heels come off the ground at the bottom of the squat?

2. Do your knees cave inwards?

3. Does your tailbone “tuck under”?

4. Do you find yourself unable to continue looking up throughout the lift/feel like you are fighting falling forwards during the first part of the ascent?

If the answer to any of the first 3 questions is yes, then you may have a mobility issue (or possibly just a “cuing” issue on question 2). If not and the answer to question 4 is yes, then you are probably just using too much weight for your current level of strength.

As for drills…

Ankle mobility

Hip Mobility

[quote]BHappy wrote:
Focus on your breath getting taller each inhale, getting lower each exhale.

Also flexibility is improved by alkaline diet.

First step inhale try reaching the stars with your fingers exhale making the letter L back is horizontal, again inhale get taller exhale fold like a book going down relaxation is key,

…simply moving like a leaf being moved by the wind/your breath.

Inhale again getting taller reversing the fold going past vertical you want to be balanced so stretch bachkwards about 2 breathing cycles.

Smile you are on your way[/quote]

What music should I listen to while I’m doing this?
How long did it take you until you felt like a leaf?

If you need music you are not focussing.
It’s just the proper way to do. Do not try to move but being relaxed your breath moves you. You might use the image you are floating, waves move you.
A video or a teacher might be easier to fallow. I just tried to be helpfull.
All the best!

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]BHappy wrote:
Focus on your breath getting taller each inhale, getting lower each exhale.

Also flexibility is improved by alkaline diet.

First step inhale try reaching the stars with your fingers exhale making the letter L back is horizontal, again inhale get taller exhale fold like a book going down relaxation is key,

…simply moving like a leaf being moved by the wind/your breath.

Smile you are on your way[/quote]

What music should I listen to while I’m doing this?
How long did it take you until you felt like a leaf? [/quote]

Enya

i’ve got calcium deposit on my right ankle joint, i’m only 25 and i feel like shit, dropped squat until my orthopedist tells me what to do.

kaisermetal This is from Wikipedia
"Calcific tendinitis
Dietary calcium restriction

A controversial topic, this conservative treatment can be very effective for some patients, and reports of pain cessation with strict dietary calcium restriction have been documented. Dietary restriction applies to all milk products, nuts that have a high calcium content, calcium-fortified products and high calcium vegetables and snacks. Food nutritional labels are helpful in determining foods to restrict. If no improvement is noted after three months, other treatment modalities should be tried.

It is assumed the body scavenges the pathological calcium deposits when dietary calcium is restricted. Studies are required in this area.

[edit] Extracorporeal shock wave therapy (ESWT)

Extracorporeal shockwave therapy uses sound waves focused onto the deposit. It works by an unknown mechanism in this disorder. In some German studies, 30-70% of patients obtained pain relief, and, in 20-77% of cases, the calcific deposit disappeared or disintegrated"

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]Bailey H wrote:
Im currently cutting but when I get back to bulking I will be Squatting twice a week. But my problem is that when I go really deep with heavy squats certain places start to hurt. I have read it could be down to poor ankle and/or hip flexibility. Can I get peoples advice on how to pretty much make everything important for good Squats flexible? Thanks.[/quote]

What parts specifically hurt?

Also some other questions to consider:

1. Do your heels come off the ground at the bottom of the squat?

2. Do your knees cave inwards?

3. Does your tailbone “tuck under”?

4. Do you find yourself unable to continue looking up throughout the lift/feel like you are fighting falling forwards during the first part of the ascent?

If the answer to any of the first 3 questions is yes, then you may have a mobility issue (or possibly just a “cuing” issue on question 2). If not and the answer to question 4 is yes, then you are probably just using too much weight for your current level of strength.

As for drills…

Ankle mobility

Hip Mobility

My heel doen’t come off the floor anymore, I think thats because I now Squat barefooted. Its much more comfortable for me. I always look up and focus on a certain spot as I know I sometimes slightly round my lower back. Thanks for the videos, will be helpful.

Is it uncomfortable right from the start or is there a certain point when you notice it. What spefically do you mean? FTR…I like that your warm-up starts with the bar, where do you go from there?[/quote]

No it usually starts to feel uncomfortable when I Squat below parallel. And well the bar is only 10-20kg. From there I put a plate on each side so its 50kg all together, then i’ll do 1 set with that as a little warm up. Then I double the weight so there is 100kg all together and do sets of 10. Maybe adding 10kg if its a good day.

@ kaisermetal sorry i had to close my PC. In your situation my plan A would be avoid All milk products and any protein powder. Do not worry about muscle loss they are way faster to rebuild then the first time building them.
After about 3 months stick with plan A if there are improvements.
Other wise plan B is fasting, i mean real fasting you can drink water.
Your body is wise it built itself given a rest it will auto-repair just like all kids scratch their knees, we cut ourselves and time heals.
All the best!

I have all types of calcifications and deposits etc all over my ankles(remember Im a semi pro soccer player). Ive had surgery aswell to remove a spur.

OP, where exactly are these deposits?

tweet

[quote]BHappy wrote:
@ kaisermetal sorry i had to close my PC. In your situation my plan A would be avoid All milk products and any protein powder. Do not worry about muscle loss they are way faster to rebuild then the first time building them.
After about 3 months stick with plan A if there are improvements.
Other wise plan B is fasting, i mean real fasting you can drink water.
Your body is wise it built itself given a rest it will auto-repair just like all kids scratch their knees, we cut ourselves and time heals.
All the best![/quote]

If you dont mind me asking out of curiosity why do you think the milk thing is whats wrong with me?

[quote]Bailey H wrote:

Is it uncomfortable right from the start or is there a certain point when you notice it. What spefically do you mean? FTR…I like that your warm-up starts with the bar, where do you go from there?[/quote]

No it usually starts to feel uncomfortable when I Squat below parallel. And well the bar is only 10-20kg. From there I put a plate on each side so its 50kg all together, then i’ll do 1 set with that as a little warm up. Then I double the weight so there is 100kg all together and do sets of 10. Maybe adding 10kg if its a good day.[/quote]

Do you experience pain on all of your sets (including your warm-ups), or just your work sets? If it’s only the last 3 heavy sets I’d suggest doing some smaller weight jumps (more warm-up sets) on your way to your working weight. You don’t have to do 10 reps on all of them, you’re just trying to gradually warm up your body and get it used to the heavier weights.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]Bailey H wrote:

No it usually starts to feel uncomfortable when I Squat below parallel. And well the bar is only 10-20kg. From there I put a plate on each side so its 50kg all together, then i’ll do 1 set with that as a little warm up. Then I double the weight so there is 100kg all together and do sets of 10. Maybe adding 10kg if its a good day.[/quote]

Do you experience pain on all of your sets (including your warm-ups), or just your work sets? If it’s only the last 3 heavy sets I’d suggest doing some smaller weight jumps (more warm-up sets) on your way to your working weight. You don’t have to do 10 reps on all of them, you’re just trying to gradually warm up your body and get it used to the heavier weights.[/quote]

Its usually just the heavier sets which give me an uncomfortable feeling. Its my Leg day friday so I will warm up more and make smaller weight jumps. Thanks to you and everyone that has commented on this thread. All of your advice has been really helpful and will be using pretty much all of it haha.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]Bailey H wrote:

Do you experience pain on all of your sets (including your warm-ups), or just your work sets? If it’s only the last 3 heavy sets I’d suggest doing some smaller weight jumps (more warm-up sets) on your way to your working weight. You don’t have to do 10 reps on all of them, you’re just trying to gradually warm up your body and get it used to the heavier weights.[/quote]

Agreed?
Looks like your work is at 225 lbs.
IMO…warm up should look like this…
45 x 12 x 2
95 x 10 x 1
135 x 6 x 2
185 x 4 x 1
225 x 10 x ?