T Nation

Squat Fail, Help Please


#1

Hey guys, I was feeling like crap today, haven't stretched all week, back still fried from deadlifts two days ago.

So I figured I'd slap on a weight I had a small chance of hitting to grab a fail video. What do you guys think the main weakness in this is.

I know I could tuck my elbows under more, chest more up but this is usually how I fail the squat regardless of how tucked or puffed I am.

I've been trying to do more to strengthen my upper back and my glutes.
I feel like I need to work my core more. Any suggestions?


#2

It looked to me like it was going up, then you just gave up.

I personally don’t see anything glaringly wrong.


#3

Looked like it was too heavy.

You wear your belt pretty high. Any particular reason for that?


#4

Seriously. I got the same feel. Simply looked like it was too heavy.

You seemed tight, knees didn’t shoot forward, went below parallel, seemed to start driving your ass up to lift it… then you stopped. Too heavy.

Only thing I might nitpick would be that you don’t need to go that far down. Below parallel is enough.


#5

Yea it was too heavy for me that day but I wanted to fail so I can pick out the weaknesses. It looks like its “just” too heavy but the first thing I feel when I’m about to fail is my upper back start to fold and it makes it 10x harder on my glutes.


#6

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
Looked like it was too heavy.

You wear your belt pretty high. Any particular reason for that?[/quote]

Actually I was wearing it really low compared where i normally have it. I wear it above the belly button because I lack the most strength in that area.


#7

looked good mate until it stopped going up,id put it down to an off day?


#8

Why did you want to fail? If you are lifting a lighter weight and know you can do it— just focus on keeping your technique right.

If you feel your upper back start loosening, rack the bar. Reset and try again. It might be something that you MUST focus your mind on keeping your chest out and scapulae retracted. We all have certain parts of certain lifts that give us trouble and require constant attention from us. Meanwhile, other parts we do exactly right and once ingrained barely think about them.

When you lose tightness, you make the kinetic chain unstable. That’s probably why it feels like your other muscles (in this case, glutes) end up taking on more work than they should.


#9

The main weakness in this is when you decided to grab a fail video. If you aren’t planning to hit a rep, don’t start it. You’ll never hit a heavy lift if you don’t think you can.


#10

[quote]Learning2Lift wrote:
Hey guys, I was feeling like crap today, haven’t stretched all week, back still fried from deadlifts two days ago.

So I figured I’d slap on a weight I had a small chance of hitting to grab a fail video. What do you guys think the main weakness in this is.
[/quote]

I agree with others, why would you intentionally plan to fail? Although misses happen, you should avoid missing big lifts whenever possible and planning to fail makes no sense to me.


#11

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

I agree with others, why would you intentionally plan to fail? Although misses happen, you should avoid missing big lifts whenever possible and planning to fail makes no sense to me. [/quote]

Yeah I don’t like it either. It’s a mental defeat. Missing a rep isn’t the end of the world, but it can sure mess with your psyche.


#12

Apparently reading about wanting to point out weaknesses is a bit much to ask. No matter if you’re gonna hit a lift or not when its too heavy weaknesses are going to show if you know what to look for.


#13

[quote]Learning2Lift wrote:
Apparently reading about wanting to point out weaknesses is a bit much to ask. No matter if you’re gonna hit a lift or not when its too heavy weaknesses are going to show if you know what to look for.
[/quote]

If you need to fail in order to find your weakness you don’t know what you’re looking for in the first place.


#14

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]Learning2Lift wrote:
Apparently reading about wanting to point out weaknesses is a bit much to ask. No matter if you’re gonna hit a lift or not when its too heavy weaknesses are going to show if you know what to look for.
[/quote]

If you need to fail in order to find your weakness you don’t know what you’re looking for in the first place.[/quote]

^^^That.

Your weaknesses will show well before you fail to make your reps.