Squat Depth

I understand there are many different federations, but I wonder, would this squat be legal even with WPO-rules?

I’d call it a half-squat, but these men seem to have been into the irongame for a long time, so what’s the deal ?

[quote]stallion wrote:
I understand there are many different federations, but I wonder, would this squat be legal even with WPO-rules?quote]

That isn’t a good angle to judge depth from at all.

The squat was clearly high though.

There is no such thing as WPO rules, the rules regarding depth are the same in all federations.

Also, he braces his feet against the squat rack.

I will make this official, if there is a weightlifting video on YouTube, it will suck.

In the gamer’s community, there’s a saying: “Screenshots Or It Never Happened”, the same rule can (sorta) be applied to squats: “Ass To Grass Or It Never Happened”

I would imagine his suit isn’t letting him get depth.

Not legal depth and it appears he is bracing his feet against the rack.

Koing

Looks a little high from this angle, and it’s hard to think it’d be below parallel from a different angle, but you really need a judge’s view to quantify where a squat is relative to parallel.

I recorded the video… All of us knew it was high, I uploaded at his request so he could see it. And no he’s not bracing his feet against the frame, he just uses a wide stance. You can’t even tell whether or not he’s bracing his feet against the frame in the video.

what kind of suit is he using in that vid?

I won’t say that’s a half squat, more of a 3/4 squat. I wish we could squat down that far in comps. I’d be squatting about 750 right now myself.

Then again let’s admit, that most people cannot even do what the guy in the video did. You walk into any 24 hours fitness and I betcha this guy is stronger than at least 97 of the first 100 guys you see.

From that angle, the squat appears to be two to three inches high.

Maybe it would look different from a side view where the judge/camera is looking at parallel.

But again, from that angle the squat looks two to three inches above parallel.

[quote]John S. wrote:
what kind of suit is he using in that vid?[/quote]

You know, I’m not sure to be honest… I’m the only raw lifter in the group (plus I’m young), so I don’t pay much attention to gear usage right now. I can ask him. I know he has a Titan, a Centurion I believe, but he wasn’t using it there.

I honestly cannot understand why people even feel the need to debate the fact.

Was it high? Yes
Did the lifter intend to hit comp depth? Probably not
Did his suit stop him hitting depth? Most definately

All of the above should be self-evident.

I would guess the suit’s either a metal ace or titan boss. Since he already has a centy, I’d say most likely it’s a Boss. But that is pure speculation.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
I honestly cannot understand why people even feel the need to debate the fact.

Was it high? Yes
Did the lifter intend to hit comp depth? Probably not
Did his suit stop him hitting depth? Most definately

All of the above should be self-evident.

[/quote]

I agree.

[quote]DtotheG wrote:
I will make this official, if there is a weightlifting video on YouTube, it will suck. [/quote]

i have to disagree

[quote]BIG_DAWS wrote:
DtotheG wrote:
I will make this official, if there is a weightlifting video on YouTube, it will suck.

i have to disagree
[/quote]

I agree with this disagreement.

[quote]DtotheG wrote:

In the gamer’s community, there’s a saying: “Screenshots Or It Never Happened”, the same rule can (sorta) be applied to squats: “Ass To Grass Or It Never Happened”[/quote]

Damn- that’s kind of a high standard to live up to. I have lifted in USAPL and APF and I have never seen a competitive squat taken to full ass-bouncing-off-calves depth.

[quote]Pinto wrote:
Damn- that’s kind of a high standard to live up to. I have lifted in USAPL and APF and I have never seen a competitive squat taken to full ass-bouncing-off-calves depth.[/quote]

I’ve never seen ANYONE squat ass-to-grass in person (aka while I was there) in the last twenty-two years since I joined my first gym.

Squatting ass-to-grass is very rare indeed.

I think I’ve seen 2 a2g squats in my life.

One was an O/H squat by our clubs top oly lifter, he was literally an inch off the ground.

And the second was a Chinese (I think) oly lifter with fairly long femurs whose arse actually DID touch the ground.

Never in powerlifitng or genreal gymming tho.