Squat Depth in Regards to BBing

infinite_shore you look quite good for a 101 yo but the view from the top is not your most flattering, well i hope.

[quote]BHappy wrote:
infinite_shore you look quite good for a 101 yo but the view from the top is not your most flattering, well i hope.[/quote]

You get cookie if you can name the movie!

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:
Squat depth is a funny topic. In articles authors always emphasize squat depth, yet every time you see pro BBers squat (or leg press for that matter) in their videos or in real life (we have an ex-pro in our gym), squat depth is no where near parallel, let alone below parallel.

Clearly there are some exceptions but most squat pretty high. Thing is, it seems to work for them (hypertrophy) just fine.
[/quote]

Not golden era BBers…

And there are a few guys like Kai I think I remember seeing do full depth squats.[/quote]
x2

Plus you can’t tell the depth of some of the pro BB, considering their hams and quads are the size of people who knows what is actually parallel for them.

Regarding squat depth I feel like you should use whatever hits the area you are trying to hit.

You also have to respect that everybody doesn’t follow the same rules as T-Nation. There are days I go in and just want to put more weight on and I know I can’t do a deep squat. Anybody walking in would think I never squat ATG but they don’t know me, my history or my workout. Most Pro BB are not going to use the exact same routine, and often are searching for different ways to spark new growth right or wrong. Think about it, it’s an EX-pro’s current workout, isn’t he obviously not what he used to be?

I’ve also seen an article with a famous pro where he said people think he does what he does in his videos. Where he may have to do a video multiple times, or had a workouts earlier that day. I’m not saying iShore is wrong just that if your basing your routine off a video you should at least chk the BB reasoning.

I think, more than depth, you should adopt the squat that suits you. The deepest I can squat (unfortunately not at parallel yet) is when I keep my feet close and pointing forward. That way, I engage the knees and the hip and this is the type of squat that, for me, activates glutes and quads the most. As to powerlifting squat, it simply does not feel natural, it hurts my back and my knees and I can squat less deep. To each his own…

@ infinite_shore my first guess is: infinite shore , any with cinnamon i like