T Nation

Squat-Deadlift Supersets?

Since squats and deadlifts are the best growth-inducing exercises, I wonder if doing a squat-deadlift superset is a good idea.

Has anybody tried this before? How did/would you do them? What are the effects (like an tired lower back or leg soreness)?

Why would you even want to do that? Supersetting squats and deadlifts would mean that you won’t be able to lift as much weight as when doing those exercises separately. Doesn’t make much sense to me, but why don’t you try it and tell us how it works?’

You will probably die, honestly i have tried them before and decided that they were better off not in my training as a superset. I was huffing and puffing as if i had just been sprinting after only a couple of supersets. If i were to add this in my program, it would be solely for conditioning

On a totally unrelated note, why does your profile state that you have “a few years” training when just yesterday you said: [quote]Yup, I am a thin weakling and I’ve been training for just over a year [/quote]?

[quote]A_W wrote:
Why would you even want to do that? Supersetting squats and deadlifts would mean that you won’t be able to lift as much weight as when doing those exercises separately. Doesn’t make much sense to me, but why don’t you try it and tell us how it works?’ [/quote]

People superset different types of bicep exercises with the understanding that working in different rep ranges on the successive exercise is ok. People also know that they could do more in their second exercise of elbow flexion if they didn’t pre-fatigue in the first elbow flexion exercise.

Logically following that to deadlifts and squats - both exercises stress hip and knee extension while maintaining a neutral spine. Try doing the squats first something around 3-6 reps immediately followed by a much higher deadlift of 8-10 reps.

Worst case is you pass out (and kill yourself) in the deadlifts or the second set of squats. Get a good spotter and some safety pins because it could be a wild ride.

I have done supersets of leg ext -> back squat -> stiff-leg deadlift -> leg curl. Vomitacious but not lethal.

When I do my EDT workouts I have my squat be my core exercise and then I superset deadlifts with either pullups or standing military press.

[quote]A_W wrote:
Why would you even want to do that? Supersetting squats and deadlifts would mean that you won’t be able to lift as much weight as when doing those exercises separately. Doesn’t make much sense to me, but why don’t you try it and tell us how it works?’[/quote]

Well, I think it’s similar to pre-exhaust supersets. You can’t lift as much in the compound exercise, but it gives your body a greater shock.

Knowing this, I was thinking, “If I superset the two best growth stimulating exercises, would that give my body an incredible shock?”

I wanna try this because of the challenge and the possible growth it can give me (I did this before with the 20-rep Super Squats and I loved the results as well as the challenge). However, I’m posting here so that I can learn from your experiences regarding this and maybe get a few warnings as well. If I get enough bad experiences from you, I’ll forget about trying it.

[quote]A_W wrote:
On a totally unrelated note, why does your profile state that you have “a few years” training when just yesterday you said: Yup, I am a thin weakling and I’ve been training for just over a year ?

[/quote]

I updated my profile because I remembered that I did other forms of training, like para-military stuff, before actually lifting weights in the gym.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
You will probably die, honestly i have tried them before and decided that they were better off not in my training as a superset. I was huffing and puffing as if i had just been sprinting after only a couple of supersets. If i were to add this in my program, it would be solely for conditioning[/quote]

A couple of supersets? Hmm, maybe I should just do one all-out superset to failure on both exercises, similar to the 20-rep Super Squats.

[quote]danger-kelly wrote:
Logically following that to deadlifts and squats - both exercises stress hip and knee extension while maintaining a neutral spine. Try doing the squats first something around 3-6 reps immediately followed by a much higher deadlift of 8-10 reps.

Worst case is you pass out (and kill yourself) in the deadlifts or the second set of squats. Get a good spotter and some safety pins because it could be a wild ride.[/quote]

What kind of deadlift would you recommend? Stiff-leg, Romanian or conventional (I usually do Romanian)? What would be the difference between the three?

Yeah, I’m gonna need a spotter since my gym doesn’t have a power rack or a squat rack.

I suppose none of you guys train on NROL…

I superset squats and dl’s with 90 seconds rest(4x5)…

I used to do 5 x 5 front squats, barbell deadlifts, back squats, then trapbar deadlifts - in that order. Then I’d go do some leg curls and then forearm/grip work and call it a workout. It really sucked, but was effective. I didn’t use more than 300 lbs for any execise.

[quote]SpadeK wrote:
I suppose none of you guys train on NROL…

I superset squats and dl’s with 90 seconds rest(4x5)…[/quote]

What’s NROL?

Do you train to failure?

Thanks for your advice, guys. I see you’ve done crazy stuff with squats and deadlifts, so I already tried supersetting squats and deadlifts with my own crazy version.

I supersetted my 20-rep super squat routine with regular 10-rep deadlifts using the same weight on both, but I failed on the 14th rep of the squats (I attempted 20 pounds more than what I was able to do before) and I had to rest-pause the deadlifts once, doing 5 reps and then 5 more. Right after that, I rushed to a bench and did 20 dumbell pullovers, with my lungs writhing in pain with each fast, deep, excruciating breath.

My back was the weakest link when I did this. Yup, I failed on the squats because my back couldn’t take it anymore (or maybe it’s because I cluster trained my deadlifts earlier).

Because this thing was extremely crazy, I did only 1 set.

The strange thing is, I felt crappy after the workout, but a few hours after, I felt like a ton of espresso.

I’m excited about the results, and I hope it works even better than my 20-rep squat routine alone.

What other stuff have you guys done with squat-deadlift supersets? Did they work?

1 Like

NROL = new rules of lifting. AC’s book. (its a good introduction to weightlifting).

Ive superset squats and deads and it does take it out of you. You should be carefull, use the squat rack, use less weight a strive to keep proper form. But it does work… maybe not so much for pure strength but hypertrophy or conditioning. I personally like to have both in my programs but i dont pair them together. I might superset with other excercises and then swap their position within the workout every now and then. ie: Front squats and rows, deads and chins.