T Nation

Squat Critique II: New Video Page 2

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459389

I found this excellent article on technique. and tought i’d be nice to post it here, so as everybody could see it.

i think following the advices here will pretty much solve my squatting problems.

esp. pointing toes out, forcing the knees out, and pressing back against bar on the way up will work great.

i will post a new video when i have perfected my form.

In regards to IPF squatting - I’ve heard great things about the new Metal IPF legal suit, from Rick actually. He’s a different body type completely, though - it’s best to try on a few different suits to see which “suits” you. Haw.

-Dan

I think the problem is just your physique - in order to physically squat that far back while keeping the bar over your ankles you’re going to need to lean that far forward. You have a short torso in comparison to your legs. You might want to consider putting the bar higher on your shoulders.

That said, are your problems with depth a result of the weight? That is to say, can you get the weight down with lighter weights? If not, then your problem is flexibility, not leaning too far forward.

As someone already mentioned, you’re also coming up with your hips first, not your head.

Finally, don’t do squats if you can’t get the form right. Doing above parallel squats has it’s place, but don’t do them with superheavy weight if you can’t even get to parallel. You’re just compounding the problem.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:

That said, are your problems with depth a result of the weight?

[/quote]

no.

it is difficult to get deep enough with my form.

however, quoting from the article
“10 Tips for Flawless Squattin?
by Mike Robertson”: “Toeing out more can usually solve 99% of the depth issues seen with wide-stance squats.”

i’m confident this is the solution.

something i will work on. honestly it was even worse before.

i could always start playing chess, or what about golf? i’ve heard there’s more money involved! :wink:

Ok, so if I have your GM numbers right, the problem is most definitely NOT weak lower back. Read the Eric Cressey/Robertson article on “over coming lousy leverages” for Squat/Bench leverages.

As two people have said, your hips seem to be rising first. You seem to have the same problem I do: namely, you start being tempted to turn the sqaut into a good morning towards the bottom because that is your stronger muscle group/motion. What worked for me was to work on strengthening my legs without worrying too much about my lower back. Obviously this was for a shorter cycle of 3 weeks to avoid losing too much in my lower back. I did put some GMs in, actually, simply for maintaining my strength there. Super high step ups, Bulgarian squats, OH squats, pull throughs/hyperextensions, etc. Along with technique work of course.

The exercises listed also helped with flexibility. And finally, something a buddy of mine noted: Squatting into mirrors sucks. Try to tape over it w/black paper, or change pin positions to squat away from mirror.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Ok, so if I have your GM numbers right, the problem is most definitely NOT weak lower back. Read the Eric Cressey/Robertson article on “over coming lousy leverages” for Squat/Bench leverages.

[/quote]

I think my lower back is stronger than my legs. thanks a lot for the hint, i will read the article right away!

Yes, i’ve tought of some of these exercises.

i think i will start squatting away from the mirror, or tape over it when i need a spot. i just has to finish my current program doing my usual technique in the usual way i do it. i have only one week left, after that i will start experimenting.

thanks a lot for your toughtful reply.

after all maybe i don’t have to switch to chess. :wink:

the link to the article is here:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=739197

excellent information!

thanks a lot!!!

[quote]stallion wrote:
Here’s a link to that site, i hope it is the right one.

I just found the article somewhere, I don’t remember, and did not have the official link to it on his site, so i decided to put it on rapid share. I take no credit for it, as i am not the author. all credit to the creator, rick!
[/quote]

Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to accuse you of stealing his ideas or anything, I don’t think anyone but Rick would wear those shorts in photographs - I meant that the file sharing system linked to was a little annoying. It didn’t let me download things for more than half an hour after I tried to.

-Dan

Heres something that I highly recommend. Box squats! First of all,
a box will be something you can reach
to ensure you that you are reaching a
certain depth. Second of all, they are
harder, since you can’t get the “rebound effect.” They will also
get you to sit back more. I learned
quickly (in like a week or so) how
to sit back under heavy weight, and sitting back is near effortless. Don’t
forget a bottle of pain reliever, because your glutes are gonna be sore
the next day :D.

i will start box-squatting as soon as i get my box that i have ordered.

box-squatting breaks the eccentric-concentric chains, and it is good to develop strength in the squat.

i am looking forward to start doing it. perhaps i will even do a high bar, wide stance box-squat smolov program next year. :wink:

http://media.putfile.com/192_5kgx4-stallion

just posted a clip from my last workout. i tried to turn my toes out a bit more to get to legal ipf depth.

192.5kg (424lbs) for 4 reps at 93kg (204lbs) bw.

i think rep # 2,3 & 4 are deep enough, but maybe rep # 1 would be redlighted.

all constructive comments are appreciated. :slight_smile:

That definitelly looks better than you previous videos, and once you start training with us at OSK, you’ll be breaking parallell on each rep on each set on each training!

Hi Stallion,

I enjoy watching powerlifting. I’ve been reading and looking at your technique last night.

There is a tendency for your rear to move back as you begin ascending from the squat position. This is apparent in the first video. Have you noticed this and what did you do to correct it? Unless, this is a natural movement for you.

Also, in the second video, was your stance wider or only turned out?

Lastly, keep up the great work!! Thanks.

[quote]stallion wrote:
http://media.putfile.com/192_5kgx4-stallion

just posted a clip from my last workout. i tried to turn my toes out a bit more to get to legal ipf depth.

192.5kg (424lbs) for 4 reps at 93kg (204lbs) bw.

i think rep # 2,3 & 4 are deep enough, but maybe rep # 1 would be redlighted.

all constructive comments are appreciated. :)[/quote]

your depth looked good…

Great improvement. Depth was good and you looked smoother in your ascent. Stance was wider and your toes turned out providing you with a more stable base to push from.

Great job. Well done.

max attempts 16th of october

http://media.putfile.com/maksloft-sq200-sq240-bench110-16-10-05

1. squat 200kg
  2. squat 240kg - not deep enough
  3. bench 110kg

bw w/clothes= 95kg.

I agree, your depth and form look good.

Just make sure you’re stretching out your lower back in your flexibility routine with how big an arch you hold.

-Dan

gold’s; thanks for taking the time. i enjoy watching powerlifting videos myself. :wink:

the movement of the rear to the back as i begin ascending is something that just happened. it just was the way it was done when i squatted, actually i did not become aware of it before i saw it on video. and it was just totally odd. did not make much sense. wasted energy i tought. what i try do do to correct it is to push hard against the bar, and start the ascent with my head first, and push HARD against the bar.

i have read a lot of articles from this site on technique, and it helps a lot.

in the second video the stance is wider, and the toes are turned
out.

in the first video i tried to stand a bit closer than usual actually to try to get enough depth. usually i have squatted in a wide stance fashion with toes pointed right ahead. but it is very difficult to get enough depth using that style, so i have changed it to a wide stance, but not super wide, and toes pointing out.

thanks for commenting on my squats, greatly appreciated. good luck with your training as well!

DPH, thanks for the comment as well. :wink:

buffalokilla, thanks for the comments on stretching. actually i have performed less stretching on this smolov routine i have just completed… so i have gotten a bit more stiff, but this i will fix again.

thanks again for the comment!

T-mag is a great site! :wink: love it!

stay strong!

I second the comment that it doesn’t look like you are “opening your groin” on the way down. I have found that that was the key for me getting to legal depth.

I didn’t see it mentioned here but I apologize if it was; you are making a mistake (in my opinion) by squatting in front of the mirror. I think it tends to cause someone to look at themselves. Squat form should be “drilled” into your neuro system; in other words, your form cues should be based upon learned neuro patterns / mental cues as opposed to visual cues; if you’re looking at yourself, your head/eyes cannot be properly positioned and if you don’t look at yourself while squatting in the mirror, you are rare b/c I know I was guilty of it. There should be a mental progression (tighten up, ass back and down, hit depth, head/eyes up and fixed, drive the shoulders up and back, fire the hips and follow thru, etc.). I don’t think looking at yourself is the best way to accomplish this. So, to work on form, turn around, face the other way. If you honestly don’t look in the mirro, ignore me! But remember, there will be no mirror in your face at a meet! Good luck bro.