T Nation

Squat Contest: BBer, PLer, WLer and Strongman (vid)

Saw this on youtube, pretty cool. 4 different athletes squatting bodyweight for 5 minutes.

Most folks that follow my posting know that I’m really big on pointing out how much in common all the iron disciplines versus how different they are. I think this video does a great job of demonstrating this. 4 guys from different disciplines, all coming together, and all putting up a very respectable performance.

All the arguing you see on the net seems pretty silly when viewing this. Put some heavy iron on our backs and we’ll move it.

That just looks fucking awful. But I wanna try this.

“5 minutes doesn’t sound so crazy, but maybe that’s just in my head because I don’t have to squat it.”

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]red04 wrote:
“5 minutes doesn’t sound so crazy, but maybe that’s just in my head because I don’t have to squat it.”[/quote]

Sounds excruciating.[/quote]

especially if you give 100% there’s no way your not having trouble walking the next day or so, but I’m definitely going to try this at some point.

Summary…At squating bodyweight on the bar, Powerlifter 73 reps, Strongman 60, Weightlifter 73, Bodybuilder 50. But if you watch the video, Weightlifter had by far the best squats, great depth and full lock out at the top.

Cool video. All of them were actually equally impressive to me, looking at the weightlifter’s style of squat, the strongman’s bodyweight, and the bodybuilder having ridiculous quads.

I’ll give this a try tomorrow morning

Interesting that the two guys who specialize in max weight over longer duration efforts did better.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
Summary…At squating bodyweight on the bar, Powerlifter 73 reps, Strongman 60, Weightlifter 73, Bodybuilder 50. But if you watch the video, Weightlifter had by far the best squats, great depth and full lock out at the top. [/quote]

I feel like what defines “best squat” ultimately depends on the goal of the squatting. It could easily be argued that the powerlifter had the best squat because he was cutting the ROM down to the bare minimal acceptable level in order to accomplish more reps, or that the bodybuilder had the best squat due to the insane quad pump it gave him.

I honestly think it goes to demonstrate more the fact that form does not exist in a vacuum. We have these notions of universal “good” and “bad” form, when in reality, it’s dependent entirely upon the reason for the movement.

That was awesome!

Dude that was cool.

The powerlifter had the best plan. Knock out as many sets of 7 as possible. The bodybuilder did a 1st set of 17 I think. I only watched it once so far. I didn’t see where the weightlifter and strongman were after the 1st set but I think I saw the strongman at high reps. Time to watch again.

shit the weightlifter did 20 reps 1st set. I am going to do this for a solo leg day soon. I think I might do this once a month. Glad you posted this video

[quote]mbdix wrote:
shit the weightlifter did 20 reps 1st set. I am going to do this for a solo leg day soon. I think I might do this once a month. Glad you posted this video[/quote]

Glad you enjoyed it. It’d be great to see more parts of this series. Regardless of what it “proves”, it’s great to see people of different disciplines coming together.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:
shit the weightlifter did 20 reps 1st set. I am going to do this for a solo leg day soon. I think I might do this once a month. Glad you posted this video[/quote]

Glad you enjoyed it. It’d be great to see more parts of this series. Regardless of what it “proves”, it’s great to see people of different disciplines coming together.[/quote]

yeah man. agreed

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

That was awesome, thanks for posting this. I was surprised the strongman did 12 reps te first set. I mite try this.

Two fun facts:

Both the strongman and the bodybuilder were in sub-par shape due to a layoff period before the shoot.

The strongman is actually a vegan :smiley: so is the host.

pwnisher thanks for the kickass vid!

I’m surprised that powerlifter was able to tie the weightlifter. Thought he had it in the bag. Poor strongman so big :frowning:

In the comments the host says they mite do a Deadlift one. That would be great, i think the powerlifter would win the deadlift one.