Squat Check (Help)

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the continued help. Sadly at this point I dont have access to a box to squat with, would a straight bench work (will need to check height on it)? Dont have a foam roller yet but I did just order one.

Regarding groin stretching this is something I have been trying to work on, I found that with a wider stance I had been using I was getting unpleasant pain in that area. Narrowing my stance along with stretching seemed to help with that.

Working on the videos you linked Larry! Hoping for some good stuff.

Cheers guys.

[quote]BreathIn wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the continued help. Sadly at this point I dont have access to a box to squat with, would a straight bench work (will need to check height on it)? Dont have a foam roller yet but I did just order one.

Regarding groin stretching this is something I have been trying to work on, I found that with a wider stance I had been using I was getting unpleasant pain in that area. Narrowing my stance along with stretching seemed to help with that.

Working on the videos you linked Larry! Hoping for some good stuff.

Cheers guys.[/quote]

Hey man, I find box squats great for generating raw power, but for right now, I think your time would be better spent just focusing on front squats until you get the hang of those. Think of it as practice, as the squat is very tecnical and take a lot of time to get right. The other problem is that you may notice the hole is the most difficult portion of the lift, especially form wise, so for a while, I’d recommend just straight front squats… feel free to throw in some back squats here and there.

Ok, thanks for clarifying that Larry. I’ll leave box squats for another time.

Cant send you a PM to thank you personally Larry but I really appreciate the time and thought you have put into helping me, means alot.

Cheers mate.

[quote]BreathIn wrote:
Ok, thanks for clarifying that Larry. I’ll leave box squats for another time.

Cant send you a PM to thank you personally Larry but I really appreciate the time and thought you have put into helping me, means alot.

Cheers mate.[/quote]

just keep the videos and updates coming man, I want you back squatting 315 for 5x5 by February, you’ve already made huge leaps forward with your form, and you already squat heavy… get the form and you’ll be laughing, you’ll have to buy more weights

315 for 5x5, I guess you just gave me my goal for the next few months.

Got a couple of clips from my most recent session, focused on staying tight at the bottom and trying to stand up faster. Have the '45 degree video but forgot to do a front clip.

Cheers guys.

FUCK YA BABY!

Dude, that’s such a monster improvement in such a short amount of time, your front squats look awesome, and you just look like a totally new man doing them. I’m proud of you man, you’re knocking this shit down like it’s nothing.

The only thing I’d change is to push your knees out a bit more on the way down, this will help you stay upright and should eliminate your pelvic rounding, but honestly, it’s barely there anymore.

Once again, congratulations man!!!

Thanks mate, I was pretty excited about how those squats went. Felt good.

Just doing my best to follow all the great advice Ive been given!

[quote]BreathIn wrote:
Thanks mate, I was pretty excited about how those squats went. Felt good.

Just doing my best to follow all the great advice Ive been given![/quote]

you’re doing awesome man, and lifting heavy too, keep the vids coming.

I think you’ll be ready to back squat in another 2 weeks, then it’ll be a combo of back squats and front squats.

I’ll try to upload one of my squat sessions a week.

You dont think it will take the 6 weeks you first suggested to return to back squats? Mind you I have to say Ive been really enjoying front squatting, although this could be because its new to me and noticeable improvements were made (from what I felt squatting) in a short time frame.

While your continuing to help out so thoroughly is it possible for me to pick your brains regarding programing?

I spent my first 2 - 3 months on 5x5 and recently 3 weeks on a first cycle on 5/3/1. I find the later more enjoyable but I think I probably should have stuck with 5x5 longer… I dont know to be completely honest.

[quote]BreathIn wrote:
I’ll try to upload one of my squat sessions a week.

You dont think it will take the 6 weeks you first suggested to return to back squats? Mind you I have to say Ive been really enjoying front squatting, although this could be because its new to me and noticeable improvements were made (from what I felt squatting) in a short time frame.

While your continuing to help out so thoroughly is it possible for me to pick your brains regarding programing?

I spent my first 2 - 3 months on 5x5 and recently 3 weeks on a first cycle on 5/3/1. I find the later more enjoyable but I think I probably should have stuck with 5x5 longer… I dont know to be completely honest.[/quote]

By all means pick away man, it’s what I’m here for.

how many days a week can you train? that will be the biggest factor in determining what kind of program I want you to do.

I can essentially train as many days a week as I like (bedroom weights make this easy) main limiting factor is time in the evening. I often am out the door by 6.30am and not back till 6.30pm (and starving) so after eating/resting I can be limited in time before I need to get to sleep.

I think the reason I liked 5/3/1 is the flexibility in accessory work, on a day I was pushed I could get my main lift in and be done and with more time I could have a bit more fun with it.

k, keep doing what you’re doing and give me a day to put something together for you, I’ll want to make sure it’s good, and I’ll do it for 4 weeks so you can switch back to back squats.

what’s your best front squat right now? it doesn’t have to be a single.

I also have to say it’s totally badass to have a squat rack in your bedroom.

Best front squat is the triple at 86kg in the video I posted yesterday.

The last 2 weeks since you suggested I switch to front squats Ive been front squatting triples followed by 5/3/1 for press mon/dead wed/bench fri.

k, here’s what you’re going to do, I want you to lighten up a bit 190 for a triple is awesome, but we’re going to build up your volume, and really perfect your form.

sets/reps/weight
Monday /friday
6x2@160 /6x3@160
6x2@160 /6x4@160
6x2@160 /6x5@160
6x2@160 /6x6@160

The monday is a technique day and recovery day, do your presses after like usual, and your bench after on friday like usual. Wed just deadlift.

This may seem easy to you because it’s 160, but I guarantee you’ll take those words back after 2 weeks.

If you want we can take it back down after, where we go to 5x5,4x4,3x3,2x2,1x1 you’d max at 210, but I know you’d be able to do 225 if not a lot more by then.

Let me know what you think, but I really feel this is what you need right now.

And make sure you’re doing that warm up everyday, especially with something like this.

Ok mate, Ill take a crack at this.just to confirm this is 4 weeks you planned out?

If I wanted to start this routine this friday would I be able to jump into the first friday workout or should I wait till next week?

Also thanks alot for this, cant stress how much I appreciate the continued help and support you have offered.

yeah sure man, go right ahead and give it a go this friday, friday won’t be too bad, 6x5 is where you have to screw your balls on tight though.

And not a problem at all man, I can’t tell you how proud I am of you, and how much I sincerely enjoy helping people with an open mind.

You’re doing awesome

So I did the 6 sets of 3 as suggested today then not sure how you feel about this Larry, but I was feeling particularly good today so I had a go at squatting heavier afterwards. Got a video of the lifts.

Starting to think I should perhaps start a log? Wasnt something I ever planned to do but I feel like Im starting to spam this board with continued posts.

I wouldn’t advise going heavier, but it’s not going to kill you. Just trust me that this program is going to be enough to handle on it’s own. Either way, 225 for a double is sick, you’re getting strong fast man.

How are you feeling? your right knee caved in pretty bad today, first time I’ve seen that happen. Anything hurting? have you been doing the warm up I suggested? first rep looked ok, but the second something may have been going on there. Get back to me on that, it’s something we’re going to have to iron out.

Don’t worry about the log man, just keep updating on here, I’m sure it will be fine, and it’s easier for me to find, I generally just stay on the powerlifting forum.

Overall man, you’ve come such a long way, you’re going to be a total beast in a couple of months, I promise, just keep giving me the chance to help you.

Been doing the warm ups you suggested before every workout and almost every day Im not working out as you said to.

Im feeling fine, nothings hurting in particular. But I went almost straight to work after this workout and Im just coming home from it now so Ive been on my feet ever since, so not sure if I would be feeling anything yet.

To be honest I think I was probably just more fatigued than I was prepared to admit, first time Ive felt shaky under a weight Im squatting.

k, just watch those knees man, maybe try to not push them out quite as hard.

and it’s not a bad thing to be shaky with 225x2 after hitting 160x3x6.

Really good work.