T Nation

Squat Buttwink Help?

i saw this link just now, i get that “buttwink” problem. never really realised it before. any tips/advice on how to sort that out? is it something really bad?

video i saw:

Had some good insight in this thread of mine:

Poor motor control is bullshit IMO.

Some things that helped me are:

1. Keep your hamstrings and glutes tight. When you hit the bottom of your squat you should feel tension in your inner thighs, glutes, and hamstrings. If you don’t feel this, you are probably relaxing to get added depth and losing your back arch. Once you do it a couple times, you will know what it should feel like.

2. OH Squats… Forces you to keep your chest up and push your butt back. If you drop your chest, lose your back arch and body tension, you will probably miss the lift.

3. BW Box Squats to Low Stair… I do these as active recovery when my hamstrings, glutes, and hip flexors are sore and tight. Its a good stretch, and try to hit the stair with the lower part of your butt rather than your tailbone.

4. Practice and Experiment. Try different stance widths in particular.

I remember seeing a video and article about exact issue somewhere on the forums here. The moral of the story was that some people, with extreme flexibility, will naturally have that roll under at a certain degree past parallel. Some minor adjustments can be made to squeeze out a tiny bit more ROM, but in the end that person should simply avoid depths on the lift that cause that to happen.

I’ve had a lot easier time with this since I started working more on my hip flexibility. Lay on the floor and try to pull your right knee into your right armpit while keeping your left leg flat to the floor. Repeat with the other side, of course. Do this for about 10 min every day for a couple of weeks.

I don’t believe in avoiding proper squat depth. I think that’s a cop-out. Work on that flexibility, and get on down. Your knees will thank you.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
I’ve had a lot easier time with this since I started working more on my hip flexibility. Lay on the floor and try to pull your right knee into your right armpit while keeping your left leg flat to the floor. Repeat with the other side, of course. Do this for about 10 min every day for a couple of weeks.

[/quote]

thank you. Questions regarding this though:

-do you actually use your hands to pull your knee as far as you can, or just raise the knee without the use of your hands?

-do you hold it in this position, or work for reps? (if held, roughly how long?)

-should i have my lower back consciously arched when doing this?

thanks for replies

• yes, use your hands. Don’t pull til its painful, just until you feel a good stretch.

• hold for about twenty seconds

• you shouldn’t have to arch your back, just make sure your other leg stays down flat against the floor. This keeps your pelvis in the right position. If you can pull your knee to your armpit without feeling a stretch, then flexibility isn’t the issue.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

• yes, use your hands. Don’t pull til its painful, just until you feel a good stretch.

• hold for about twenty seconds

• you shouldn’t have to arch your back, just make sure your other leg stays down flat against the floor. This keeps your pelvis in the right position. If you can pull your knee to your armpit without feeling a stretch, then flexibility isn’t the issue.[/quote]

thanks again. my knee goes nowhere near my armpit, guess ive some work cut out for me :smiley:

Nah, I was being facetious. You should be well past 90 degrees, though.

Edit: Don’t forget to stretch your hip flexors as well. And the rest of your body, too. Flexibility prevents injury.

One of the movements in this article…

…helped me out quite a bit. The last one in the video, the Sots press. It’s like a super overhead squat. I found that it made me really “feel” the correct arch, and then it was easier to remember it and hold it.

You’ll need to go down pretty far if you want to feel what it’s like to not round your spine at the bottom position. If you use enough weight to keep you honest (I use the same weight as I do for military press), you won’t be able to round your spine, because you’ll fall on your face.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
my knee goes nowhere near my armpit, guess ive some work cut out for me :smiley:

Nah, I was being facetious. You should be well past 90 degrees, though.

Edit: Don’t forget to stretch your hip flexors as well. And the rest of your body, too. Flexibility prevents injury.[/quote]

yeah, my knees get to just beyond 90 degrees before its too painful to move them lol. already started hip flexor stretches last week, so im hoping over the coming weeks progress will show. also have done hip mobility work and seen a very slight improvement. again, in time i will see progress.