Squat Briefs, How Strong Should I Be?

Hey guys, idk if this topic has been covered before, but I wanted to get some input. For those of you who wear squat briefs, how strong should I be before I get into them? I’m not an ultra wide squatter, but I think you can probably add some longevity to your career if you take precautions like briefs, a belt, wrist wraps, etc. Also I have some minor hip issues from martial arts. I really have a hard time with sumo deadlift for more than a few weeks, as I start to get inflammation. On the other hand, I don’t want to become “gear dependent.” Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Unless you have actual injuries (torn labrum, muscle, tendon, etc.) then your hip issues could just be to lousy mobility and tight muscles. I’m sure someone else will have a different opinion, but I don’t think that you should be squatting in briefs unless you plan to compete in gear. The exception to that is using it as an overload movement (similar to using a slingshot).

You can’t wear briefs tight like a suit because you’ll never get them on. They’ll keep your hips tight and you’ll get a little bit of help out of them. Just make sure you get a pair that is supposed to fit you.

That being said, I think briefs are fine no matter if you compete or not. If you compete and you do it raw, I wouldn’t use them. If its for any other reason then I don’t see a problem.

Ok thanks. Is there a minimum squat I should accomplish Raw before squatting in briefs? Is there a certain weight where it becomes advisable to wear briefs?

No there is not.

1 Like