T Nation

Squat Blitz Deload?

I’m on my last couple days of my version of the High Pull Blitz applied to Squats.

How would you suggest I deload?

For next week, I was thinking to just ramp to a 2RM then 1RM daily and no work sets. Benching 3 of those days after the squat ramp.

And then testing my 1RM Friday or Saturday, getting myself a little amped up.

Would you do it differently?

[quote]LoRez wrote:
I’m on my last couple days of my version of the High Pull Blitz applied to Squats.

How would you suggest I deload?

For next week, I was thinking to just ramp to a 2RM then 1RM daily and no work sets. Benching 3 of those days after the squat ramp.

And then testing my 1RM Friday or Saturday, getting myself a little amped up.

Would you do it differently?[/quote]

Do 3 (4 with the test) squat workouts during the deload week:

Workout 1: 3 x 3 @ 80%
Workout 2: 5 x 3 @ 70%
Workout 3: 3 x 2 @ 85%

Rest two days (you can do upper body) then test.

And ideal schedule would be:

Monday: workout 1
Tuesday: workout 2
Wednesday: off
Thursday: upper body
Friday: workout 3
Saturday: off/upper body
Sunday: off

Monday: test

Thank you, I’ll give that a try.

Ramp the same before each workout? I assume you listed just the work sets, but just want to make sure.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
Thank you, I’ll give that a try.

Ramp the same before each workout? I assume you listed just the work sets, but just want to make sure.[/quote]

Don’t ramp to a 1, 2 or 3RM… just ramp up to the working weight.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:
Thank you, I’ll give that a try.

Ramp the same before each workout? I assume you listed just the work sets, but just want to make sure.[/quote]

Don’t ramp to a 1, 2 or 3RM… just ramp up to the working weight.[/quote]

All right, will do.

LoRez, can you share the exact program you used for this blitz?

Sure.

For three weeks:

M: Ramp to 2RM, then 1RM. Drop 20lbs off 1RM and do 5 singles.
T: Ramp to 2RM, then 1RM. Keep decreasing ROM and overload to max. I used bottoms up squats from pins.
W: Ramp as before. Drop 20lbs off 2RM and do 3 doubles.
R: Repeat Tuesday.
F: Ramp as before. Drop 10% off 1RM and do 2 cluster sets of 4-6 reps. * see notes
Sat: Ramp to 80% of the highest 1RM this week. No work sets.
Sun: Off.

Notes:

  • The pin squats, the lowest pin setting I used was a bit above parallel – really, the first point where I could do more than my free squat. I ramped to a max single there, then moved the pins up, ramped to a max single, etc. The third week, I didn’t use the highest pin setting. For me, these pin squats were less about my legs, and more about building the back support to handle heavier loads. I’d pushed it a little heavy in week 2, and could tell my back just wasn’t ready for that yet.

However, these did teach me a lot about good body positioning… which may or may not have carried over to my free squats.

  • The 90% clusters on Friday were impossible for me. I could get 2, maybe 3 reps with 90%. So I’d start there, drop some weight off the the bar and just work up to at least 8 reps total, as cluster-like as possible.

  • I used recovery proteins and carbs intraworkout and a decent amount of food during the day. I also used Epsom salt baths here and there. I was also taking a phosphatidyl serine complex to try and manage cortisol levels.

I’ll write up more of a “review” next week after I test my max.

Just tested my max, under far less than ideal circumstances. Cold temperatures, and I had only a few hours of sleep since I had a 3.5 hour drive late last night.

Squat 1RM went from 235 to 285 with this program. I probably had more in me, if conditions were better.

It was definitely hard work, every day. The first week was rough and I was pretty sore just getting used to things. The second week was pretty smooth. The third week is when the “CNS Fatigue”-like symptoms started really showing up; decreased motivation, decreased libido, increased irritability.

However, this definitely worked for me.

For the duration of this program, I was able to make sure my life revolved almost completely around lifting, eating, resting and sleeping. I’m not sure how feasible things would be otherwise.

Thank you for sharing this approach to training. It challenged a lot of things I thought I understood about training and recovery.

LoRez, great job dude!

I was wondering: Since your gains were so big and I assume you were not using any performance enhancers (if you were that is cool I just didnt see you mention it), how much of your gains do you think were from increased muscle strength and how much from neural adaptation/technique inprovement due to the increase frequency?

[quote]irfhdah wrote:
LoRez, great job dude!

I was wondering: Since your gains were so big and I assume you were not using any performance enhancers (if you were that is cool I just didnt see you mention it), how much of your gains do you think were from increased muscle strength and how much from neural adaptation/technique inprovement due to the increase frequency?[/quote]

Some of the gains should be due to neural adaptations. But if he has been training for decent amount of time and squatting regularly I doubt that his technique evolved that much during this program.

[quote]irfhdah wrote:
LoRez, great job dude!

I was wondering: Since your gains were so big and I assume you were not using any performance enhancers (if you were that is cool I just didnt see you mention it), how much of your gains do you think were from increased muscle strength and how much from neural adaptation/technique improvement due to the increase frequency?[/quote]

I would say it was really just a mix of the two, as well as increased size. My legs and glutes did get noticeably bigger.

As far as technique, I moved my technique more towards an Olympic squat with more depth… which actually made me a bit “weaker”. There was a bit of a forward lean before and I was only going to parallel, but it was still very far from a low-bar powerlifting squat. I’d say this change was pretty negligible though.

From a frequency standpoint, squatting every day is certainly doable. My hips and knees felt great because of it. After the first week, I wasn’t sore at all during the days. No DOMS, no tightness.

You just have to be careful about managing volume and load. You’re trying to force a response that your body can recover from. In this particular case, it was an accumulative effect over the days and the weeks, each session pushing you deeper and throwing off hormonal balance, which means it really needed a deload for the body to restore itself.

I did, however, get stronger week to week, despite the CNS and hormonal effects.

Oh, and no performance enhancers. This was just hard work, food and sleep.

By the way, how is your shoulder? I am getting over a small rotator cuff tear and I am thinking about starting to do some light bench at something like 50% range of motion so I can at least get some load on my chest muscles. I mean, something like 4 -5 inches above my chest from pins to full press. My shoulder feels much better but it certainly is not altogether healed yet. Did your rotator cuff heal ok even while doing the partial range benching?

[quote]irfhdah wrote:
By the way, how is your shoulder? I am getting over a small rotator cuff tear and I am thinking about starting to do some light bench at something like 50% range of motion so I can at least get some load on my chest muscles. I mean, something like 4 -5 inches above my chest from pins to full press. My shoulder feels much better but it certainly is not altogether healed yet. Did your rotator cuff heal ok even while doing the partial range benching?[/quote]

Not healed yet. They’re much much better, but not healed. I had issues with both of them.

I’m still using slight incline bench about the same height you described. Mostly it’s just kept me from reinjuring things.

The two things that have helped the most so far are TRX face pull/rows, pulling back with the elbows at forehead height and working down. These are 10-20 rep sets done a few times a day.

And very high rep very light lateral raises and db overhead presses. Basically get in 100 reps in as few sets as possible. Pretty much just trying to pump as much blood into the area as possible on a regular basis and let the body heal itself.

But no, it’s not healed yet. I’m at 6 months I think now.