T Nation

Squat - Before or After?

Do you guys like to squat before you exhaust your leg muscles or right at the start of your routine? Or even have designated squat days? I prefer to start off my routine with them, I’m just wondering what other people do.

[quote]backstage wrote:
Do you guys like to squat before you exhaust your leg muscles or right at the start of your routine? Or even have designated squat days? I prefer to start off my routine with them, I’m just wondering what other people do.[/quote]

Well, I think squats are exhausting enough. I use squats as an ME exercise and also as an accessory movement. There are many different variations of the squat that can be utilized.
Normally I start my ME squat/dead day with a squat variation or a dead variation.

meat

I like to end my legs with squats. Since it utilizes many leg muscles its a great closer for me.

When everything is sore and tired, I do squats and have to really focus on form.

Variation is key, so i do revolve it. Go with what works. Vary and find out.

I prefer starting with squats in order to prioritize them. If I want to further exhaust my legs, I use other methods after the squats.

For damn sure from the start to big of anm exercise and load able to be used to ruin that byu going in half baked let along the further risk of injury. Go in fresh move a real load and if those alone werent enough thenm do the assistance work.

Thats my take anyway.

Phill

I always start with squats first…maybe I should switch it up?

There’s no way in hell I would ever do them last, especially if I was back on the 20rep squats or if it was a ME day. I’ve always done big compounds first and rotate the smaller exercises that proceed them.

Always before. Compound comes first!!!

[sarcasm]I guess this question goes along with the old debate of whether to do Triceps Kickbacks first or Bench Press.[/sarcasm]