Squat Based Program

Hi guys,
i weigh in @83kg, and recently tested all main lifts
squat- 155kg
bench- 125kg
dl- 200kg
press- 80kg

i notice my squat lags behind quite a bit. Additionally it has not improved since i last tested my lifts 9 weeks ago. Still remaining at 155kg.
I squat around once a week. But i do accessory work up-to twice or even three times a week.
Wondering if anyone has a similar issue? and if so how they have addressed it ? is there a particular squat based program that has worked best for you!? Any advice or feedback would be appreciated !
cheers!

Smolov

[quote]csulli wrote:
Smolov[/quote]
I could not help but laugh at this. Smolov will literally fix any of youe problems and this was so simply put.

[quote]sechos wrote:

I squat around once a week.[/quote]

That’s the problem. Look up interview with John Broz in an article here.

I tried out the six-week Russian squat program a little while ago, I managed to gain 10 kg on my squat (give or take). Essentially, you squat three times a week, following a compact linear progression protocol ending at 105% of your previous 1RM. I haven’t tried Smolov yet, but from the looks of it the Russian program is a bit less intense.

haha cheers. smolov it is then

Smolov is awesome. Just unsure about assistance work?
is it required considering im squatting so much anyway?
Also, could smolov apply to bench or deadlifts aswell?

You may also want to experiment with your form/technique. Bar placement, feet width/angle, and cues/breathing.

Did you do a lot of upper body only work before PLing? A BW press (you’re almost there!) is fairly impressive!

Good luck!

[quote]sechos wrote:
Smolov is awesome. Just unsure about assistance work?
is it required considering im squatting so much anyway?
Also, could smolov apply to bench or deadlifts aswell?[/quote]
You can run Smolov Jr for bench alongside it. Don’t deadlift until Smolov is done. Also I’d probably just run the base meso cycle and be done with it, but I know not everyone would agree.
You won’t need much assistance beyond a bit of upper back stuff.

[quote]sechos wrote:
Hi guys,
i weigh in @83kg, and recently tested all main lifts
squat- 155kg
bench- 125kg
dl- 200kg
press- 80kg

i notice my squat lags behind quite a bit. Additionally it has not improved since i last tested my lifts 9 weeks ago. Still remaining at 155kg.
I squat around once a week. But i do accessory work up-to twice or even three times a week.
Wondering if anyone has a similar issue? and if so how they have addressed it ? is there a particular squat based program that has worked best for you!? Any advice or feedback would be appreciated !
cheers![/quote]

Don’t think your numbers are indicative that your squat lags behind quite a bit. Depends on your leverages, but this is pretty standard for most raw lifters in this strength range.

you said you are doing assistance up to three times per week … what were you doing …

also the dead and squat are linked, what sort of dead work were you doing

When i was doing BB, i was fairly equal in regards to training upper and lower body. I was doing layne nortons training split as a transitional regime in order to get a feel of PL while i was still BB.
I have been experimenting with my stance quite a lot, trying to assure which position feels most comfortable.

My assistance work generally consisted of
Front squats
Box squats
kickbacks
pistol step ups
good mornings
all of which for around sets of 3x8 or 5x5
i would do one or two of these exercises usually a couple days after i had squatted. I also done them on my squat focus days as-well.

My dead work consisted of
DL’s
rack pulls
weighted hyper extensions
weighted pullups or chin ups
good mornings
Shrugs
and
occasionally bicep curls